• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

has anyone heard of...or made a visit to Crush? i just happened on it yesterday walking up madison. it's in a former house on east madison and 23rd. the menu looks great, the staff was very personable. they've only been open about a week. i definitely plan to check it out. does anyone know who the chef is? who's involved?

Link on Farewell & Welcome

Updated link to the Seattle Dining page

Cam and I are going to try it out after the theatre on thursday; apparently they're open quite late for nibbles, which I have to say is rather ambitious given their location.

~A

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Also: here's their site, such as it is. I guess they're not open late for nibbles on Thursdays.

~A

well, maybe...the scrolling menu says "small plates and bar until midnight" right under the regular hours. a bit inconsistent. hope the food's better. the menu looks pretty good.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

I've been watching their progress as I live nearby. I'm looking forward to giving them a try. There's a cluster of decent competition just a few blocks down the hill, but that may also help them out with passing traffic.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

• 2 weeks later...

We ate at Crush Thursday night. When it comes to newly opened restaurants, I usually prefer to give them a month or so to iron out the kinks before I any really serious assesment. But in the case of Crush, I think it's safe to say that they hit the ground running. There is an air of casual self-confidence about the place that gives you the feeling they have been at this for years, not just two weeks.

Crush's two small dining rooms are quite stunning really, all dressed in modernist white on white. The curves of the Panton chairs are echoed in the undulating bar that seperates one dining room from the open kitchen. Waves of china that serve as bread plates sconces of multilayered translucent glass continue the motif. I might drop the dimmers a notch or two to show off the candles on each table, but other than that the rooms are very impressive.

We began with domestic paddlefish caviar and creme fraiche atop a trio of silver dollar potato pancakes. It's hard to go wrong with this classic combo. Our other starter was a grilled asparagus and goat cheese salad with assorted greens and toasted hazelnuts. It was topped with a pair of crisp salty prosciutto chips and dressed in balsamic vinegar.

We also started on a bottle of 2002 Chehalem Three Vineyards Pinot that we really enjoyed. Crush's stemware is Reidel across the board, and the wine was priced reasonably. I hate to harp on a certain little place down on 12th, but if Crush can run a wine program this way, why can't you?

For one of our mains, we had the lamb chops, tongue in cheek, with broad white beans and brocolli rabe. The tounge in cheek of this dish dish is quite literally that of the lamb, braised and tossed with the beans and rabe. The mixture forms the base on top of which a pair of medium rare double cut chops are crossed. The paried cuts and preparations made for a very interesting dish. All together it ends up being a sizeable portion, more than I expect from a restaurant of this genre, but that said I still found myself finishing it.

The other main dish we tried was braised short ribs with Oregon truffles, gnocci, and baby carrots. The earthy aroma of truffles filled the air even before our waiter placed the dish on the table. The reduction sauce was full and complex, down to the fine dice of smokey bacon that was at its base. The short ribs themselves were fork tender without falling apart into a mush, which is just how I like them. Again the portions was large, so much so that half of it turned into a very satisfying lunch the next day.

Four or five cheeses are offered, each paired with fruit or similar accompaniment. I had Pierre Robert with a spiced red wine jelly. For dessert, we had a trio of rustic doughnuts--cake beignets is really the best description I have for them--with a spoon of jam and a demitasse of espresso dipping sauce.

The restaurant was about half full when we were there, which is respectable given the triple whammy of being new, competing with 25 for $25, and being located on a relatively obscure stretch of Madison midway between the commercial heart of Capitol Hill and the cluster of established restaurants deeper in Madison Valley. But I see good things ahead for this place. The neighborhood is poised to blossom, and they are have ambitious, but measured plans for expansion. These include al fresco dining in the back yard this summer, and the addition of an upstairs dining room in the fall. I wish them the best of luck and enthusiastically welcome them to the neighborhood.

Pricing details: starters $5-18, entrees $15-25, desserts $7, wine $25-100 with a sweet spot around $40-50.

Edited by vengroff (log)

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Damn, both the lamb and the shortribs sound fantastic! Will have to make a point of trying this place when time permits. I'm assuming they don't have any of their own parking. Are there usually street spaces available in the area at night?

Just piling on really, but I totally agree about the wine program at that little place on 12th. The choices available have annoyed me both times I'be been there. You'd think a place like Crave would really do better! :wink::laugh:

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I'm thinking a bit further south and not quite so little.

Yes, for the price point, Crave actually has a pretty interesting wines by the glass list IMO.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 1 month later...

Under the heading, "Sexy, Sexy, Sexy! Crush Makes You Want It," Bethany Jean Clement gave Crush quite the glowing review in this week's Stranger. The actual review is sandwiched between an overview of her entourage's social life and a sighting of Joseba Jimenez de Jimenez from down the street at Harvest Vine. But if you look hard you can find it. It's in the print version, but not online yet.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

heh! Just read that last night as I munched on some dinner before class. Funny review. I need to go here! Plus I can't stop thinking about those duck corn dogs they had at the Taste...

Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

Stopped by Crush for a quick nibble and cocktail last week and can't wait to go back for dinner.  Any other entree recommendations?  I know that I will be having the short ribs but don't want to miss any other must haves.

Definetly try the scallops; mouthwatering. And the Foie Gras is something to not be missed!

I just got back from a rather awe-inspiringly good meal at Crush, made even better by the fact that a business associate footed the tab for the seven of us. We had an entire seared Hudson Valley foie gras with a huckleberry-balsamic sauce over brioche and endive, with a sprinkle of fleur du sel. Our servers did a pretty good job with what I think was a Russian service of the foie gras, sauce and salt.

I had a citrus marinated beet and cress salad with a bleu cheese crisp to start, followed by the oft-praised braised short ribs with buttered carrots, gnocchi and horseradish parsley. One member of our group had the asparagus goat cheese salad with prosciutto chips and balsamic, which he thought was good, and the scallops, which he found a bit salty. Another person had the salmon, which he thought was quite good.

I was perfectly pleased with my mascarpone cheesecake and rhubarb- the Mccrea late harvest viognier was very tasty, too. People at the table actually had nice things to say about the coffee press pots, although I didn't try any.

We had a brief visit from the chef, Jason Wilson, who thanked us for trusting him to cook us about 1.4 lbs of Moulard foie gras. Since it was perhaps the tastiest thing I've eaten all year, I wanted to thank him for cooking it.

• 7 months later...

I'll be home for the holidays and am convinced that my fiancee and I should stop here. Am I right? What should we absolutely not miss food-wise?

We are both SOOO excited for oysters, crab....oh! But don't worry, we're planning to get our fill of these other nights, I'm just fantasizing....

• 2 weeks later...

do not miss Crush. Right now they are firing on all cylinders. I truly believe Jason Wilson has put together one of Seattles top 5 venues at this point. If you enjoy sweetbreads I highly recommend them and their chocolate assortment is smashing the rosemary sea salt cordial is amazing.

• 3 months later...

Jason got crowned one of the Best New Chef for Food & Wine 2006 - off in NY getting his picture taken for the cover. Lovely dinner with a few food mis-steps, but extremely well handled by the staff. Go before the magazine comes out (July?) and they are even more crowded. They have some great and unusual desserts going on too.

I've now been back three times since I last posted on Crush, and have eaten well each time. Kudos to their pastry chef: I think our server said she is 19 and recently finished the pastry program at SCC. The pecan pie is fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Finally made it to Crush for dinner. We were meeting another couple so sat at the bar watching Chef Jason and crew crank out the meals. The drinks weren't very good- too sweet, but you can eat full menu there.

The upstairs is finished although we didn't get to see it as they were doing awine dinner.

Amuse was carrot soup with ginger and mint cream, very good and the largest amuse I've ever had!

1st courses ordered were the duck fries with poached duck egg and white asparagus, they forgot to put the 'fries' on and just brought them over on a seperate plate <_< , torchon of foie gras with rhubarb compote and brioche- by far the best, a huge serving of foie! Also ordered were the crab raviolis.

Entrees were the seared ahi, the halibut with duck 'lardo' and the lamb chops with morels and sausage (again the winning dish)

For dessert there was a tasting of chocolates which was good, buttermilk donuts which were just ok and banana brulee with dolce de leche which was really good, but a bit sweet for me.

The wine mark up seems to be a bit high, the other prices seem good. Our service was a little shaky but all in all it was good and we'll be back.

Oh and Nicole is very preggers! :)

• 5 months later...

stopped by crush for a drink. we had a wonderful dessert: a little apple tart tatin with "amish blue cheese ice cream" and candied bacon! actually...we couldn't decide which dessert to try, the menu is overwhelming. the cooks were discussing both ichiro's and michael mina's dinners that evening. it was late, i don't know if either was still there. the bartender also treated us to some "salt & pepper" chocolates filled with caramel. very interesting. great cocktails. too bad we were too late for dinner! i'm going to work on making that candied bacon at home. it'd be so good with waffles.