• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican in Denver or Colorado Springs

Heading to Denver and Colorado Springs, would LOVE to get my hands on some solids mexican.  I used to live in Texas and miss the tasty mexican I could score there - any suggestions?

Sure there are, although it depends on the exact style you're looking for. I seem to gravitate towards New Mexican, and that means Jack-n-Grill. It's located at 25th and Federal, you must get a cup of corn there. If it's still there, El Mercadito at 31st and Federal always had good Mexican food. There is also the Brewery Bar II at 2nd and Kalamath, which has great green chili. I'm sure others might ring in with other suggestions.

Oh, and there is always Casa Bonita if you hate life.

TheMatt

Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram

Thanks Matt for the suggestions. I guess I would say what I would most love and would liek to find are:

1) a traditional breakfast burito (eggs, beans, salsa, chorizo)

2) a good taqueria - would love one that makes great tortillas with beans and cheese, etc or carnitas. If they had solid chips and queso to boot - I'd be in heaven.

Jennie

Jennie Auster aka "GIT"

Gastronome in Training

Well, for tacos, I'm a fan of El Taco de Mexico, at 714 N. Santa Fe Drive. Their cabeza tacos are great as are their carnitas. And they do it the correct way, on two corn tortillas. I know some people who love their brains taco, but I just can't do it yet.

As for breakfast burritos, the best I've had are the ones you get downtown from the Burrito Ladies. I'm sure you can get them from places like Don Ramon's in Thornton, but I might need another person to point this out to you.

TheMatt

Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram

Don Ramons is 2695 W 92nd Ave.

There are a lot of hole-in-the-strip-mall places that serve really good Mexican food in Thornton, the names escape me right now, I'll update you after I take a nap.

"It is just as absurd to exact excellent cooking from a chef whom one provides with defective or scanty goods, as to hope to obtain wine from a bottled decoction of logwood." -Escoffier

I use to live in Denver but I'd say I'm with "The Matt" on "El Mercadito at 31st and Federal always had good Mexican food." - I beleive it's still there, I'll have to ask my parents (they still live there, I've moved to Washington State) -

Great Menudo (no really it's what its supposed to taste like - not all just tripe)

Jason

Heading to Denver and Colorado Springs, would LOVE to get my hands on some solids mexican.  I used to live in Texas and miss the tasty mexican I could score there - any suggestions?

Thanks!

No specific suggestions, other than to say ditto to the others.

But a warning: You're coming to Colorado, not Texas. It's not Tex Mex. Breakfast burritos are everywhere, but probably not what you're dreaming of; you're not in Texas anymore. Colorado Mexican is all about green chile.

There are countless holes in the wall along Federal, Alameda, Colfax; in Brighton, Thornton, Lakewood. . . . Look for trucks at construction sites, anywhere, everywhere.

Edited by afoodnut (log)

I would say that you can't do better than El Taco de Mexico for a good taqueria.

Taqueria Patzcuaro on 32nd, near Zuni is quite good also, just ever so slightly more upscale than El Taco de Mex (which is to say not very upscale).

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep