• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scenes from the market...

Forget Costco, Carrefour, Tesco, or <insert name>-mart. This is how people in Bintulu shop for food:

First, the produce section:

gallery_18308_758_49527.jpg

gallery_18308_758_197666.jpg

gallery_21246_884_245188.jpg

gallery_21246_884_24211.jpg

Don't forget to stock up on rice:

gallery_18308_758_153479.jpg

The snails are on special this week:

gallery_21246_884_25176.jpg

Getting the best pick of the fish...

gallery_18308_757_62510.jpg

...brought by this guy...

gallery_18308_757_7289.jpg

...from here:

gallery_18308_757_14306.jpg

Aren't these the cutest things you've ever seen?

gallery_21246_884_162665.jpg

I never fail to find something different in the ethnic aisle:

gallery_21246_884_203171.jpg

gallery_21246_884_149442.jpg

Do you prefer live chickens?...

gallery_18308_758_76294.jpg

...or dead chickens?

gallery_21246_882_118539.jpg

The kitchenware department... not a whole lot to choose from.

gallery_18308_758_188108.jpg

Little Billy would probably like a new addition to his aquarium:

gallery_21246_884_174535.jpg

After a hectic day of shopping, isn't it great to stop for a cool drink...

gallery_18308_758_51096.jpg

...or perhaps a high-protein sago worm? Guaranteed fresh (and wriggling).

gallery_21246_884_215335.jpg

For your convenience, there's a clinic right in the mall. "Hey, doc, this here has been bothering me... can you take a look?"

gallery_18308_758_60087.jpg

Fantastic pics! I love the fish sequence, that was well done. One question, what were the green stalks with the grey/black morel shaped heads? Well two, what do you do with them? OK three, are those sago worms as creamy as they look?

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Yetty, salak is right. (BTW, in the other thread, I mispelled it as salat :blush: -- why didn't the spellchecker pick it up? :raz: )

Shiewie, well, I kinda cheated. The Bintulu market is close to the water, (either sea or river mouth, I couldn't tell), but there's no wide open beach. I took those shots in Tanjung Kidurong, quite a ways from town, where fishermen bring in their catch to sell right next to the beach.

Here is the (somewhat less attractive view) from the downtown market:

gallery_18308_758_152214.jpg

fou de Bassan, those are taro roots. I never got to eat sago worms. I've been told they taste buttery and delicious, similar to wichity grubs.

Ok, here's my haul. It was close to Chinese New Year so we were shopping mostly for CNY-related goodies.

Some native free-range birds (virgin hens, actually)

gallery_21246_882_15836.jpg

A couple of pomelos

gallery_21246_882_162270.jpg

Some sea cucumbers. My mum made a soup with these and some beef tendons for the reunion dinner.

gallery_21246_884_2029.jpg

Snake beans

gallery_21246_882_208090.jpg

Very fine and tender fiddlehead ferns, a local specialty:

gallery_21246_882_189378.jpg

Mani chai (a vegetable only found in Sarawak, apparently)

gallery_21246_882_46410.jpg

Some spiny lobsters, note the absence of claws, and it's not because I ate them on the way home. I steamed two of them and made lobster salad from the rest:

gallery_18308_757_57032.jpg

A really fresh black pomfret which we steamed for the reunion dinner

gallery_18308_757_73987.jpg

Lobsters steamed with lemongrass, garlic and rice wine. The tomalley squirted out during steaming.

gallery_18308_757_59071.jpg

I've had mani chai two ways, stir-fried with eggs, and cooked in soup. Only the leaves are used, the stalks are discarded. It has a very pleasant fragrance, and a nice mouthfeel -- the texture is firm, the leaves don't over-soften like other vegetables, so it gives you something to chew on. One of my favorite, close-to-unobtainable-outside-of-Sarawak foods.

It's also called cangkuk manis, and I just found out that there's even an egullet thread on it here!

Link to good description of the veggie.

Edited by Laksa (log)

Wonderful pictures, laksa. What a grand entrance after a period of silence from you! :rolleyes:

I was oogling the native free-range chicken. The colour of the skin is so

appetizing...looks almost like "yeum sui gai" salty chicken even tho' it is raw.

Can't really say the same for the grubs... :blink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Laksa, you captured the colours so well! :wub:

If mani chai can be found in Kuching markets, I'll badger DH into getting some on his next business visit; he also gets our nasi bario and nasi hitam there.

Edit 'nasi' to 'beras'.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

gallery_21246_884_174535.jpg

What type of fish is this? The blue looks fake.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Come to think of it, Shiewie, yup, it could be shee chai choy/potato leaves. It's a bit dook/toxic according to mom, and a no-no for expectant moms. For others, do consume in moderation.

Sure would like to decorate a cake to look like that fish. :biggrin: Love those electric blue lines!

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Whoa, toxic? If mani chai is the same as daun katuk - then here it's most commonly prepared in a simple, clear broth consumed by nursing mothers to stimulate and enrich breast milk.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

I believe mani chai and katuk are the same.

Apparently, some Taiwanese ladies (and maybe also gentlemen?) who thought the raw mani chai juice would help them lose weight got seriously ill when they consumed large quantities of the stuff.

Probably not worth taking the risk if you're an expectant mum. Can I interest you instead in the virgin (never having laid eggs before) hens? Double-boiled with some ginseng, I've been told they are the very best tonic for newly-pregnant ladies. :biggrin:

What type of fish is this?  The blue looks fake.

Hmm.... come to think of it, it did seem rather strange to see that fisherman with such a large collection of blue magic markers. :laugh:

I agree the blue looks unnatural, but it appears that the blue ringed angelfish (Pomacanthus Annularis) does exist.

Edited by Laksa (log)