• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Esquire Coffee Shops

maxmillan

I don't think they are part of Starbucks but they have been around the suburbs for quite some time. I think they opened their first location (at least that I remember) in Delta about 15 years ago. We used to have coffees at their Sunshine Hills location when I was in High School and my mom used to buy their beans, that is until she discovered the wonders of JJ Bean. I noticed the first location in the city opened this past summer on Oak street.

Speaking of JJ Bean, they are opening a new location on Main Street, right at the corner of 14th, directly across the street from Starbucks. I am so happy!!

I notice a few of these popping up in the city.  I haven't been in yet but was wondering who they are?  Are they under the Starbucks umbrella?

I've seen a couple out in the Fraser valley and White Rock area. I think they are a Surrey based franchaise. I have not been to one so no comment on the coffee.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

founded/based in vancouver, an international franchise outfit that are trying to be as much like starbucks as possible.

they go on and on about business "success and maximum profitability" and say almost nothing about coffee.

putting quantity before quality, they are the Cobs of the coffee industry.

Alistair Durie

Elysian Coffee

Contarary to all the negativity in this thread, they play a valuable role in the city, namely making you glad Starbucks exists.

If you ever find yourself bemoaning your being forced to grab a crap coffee at a Starbucks drive through, you can console yourself by recognizing that at least you don't have to go to an Esquires. Or Blendz.

I used to work beside an Esquires, and forced down a cup or two of their brew. A coworker called it "old man coffee" - it was so weak, you could be 80 and drink it all day long with no discernable effect.

Eventually we ended up starting a coffee club; pooled our money, bought our own beans from a wholesaler and wore out a few coffee makers... but in the words of Agent Cooper of Twin Peaks, we had some Damn Fine Coffee.

It was the only coffee within walking distance when I worked in Surrey. :blink:

They served stuff like Snickers-flavoured lattes. Doesn't that say it all? :hmmm:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I don't think they are part of Starbucks but they have been around the suburbs for quite some time.  I think they opened their first location (at least that I remember) in Delta about 15 years ago.  We used to have coffees at their Sunshine Hills location when I was in High School and my mom used to buy their beans, that is until she discovered the wonders of JJ Bean.  I noticed the first location in the city opened this past summer on Oak street. 

Speaking of JJ Bean, they are opening a new location on Main Street, right at the corner of 14th, directly across the street from Starbucks.  I am so happy!!

Exxxxxcellent, and in my neighbourhood, too!

levelling by the bottom is never a good idea... I wont thank Cobbs or Starbucks for offering a mediocre quality that is slightly better than average. They make uneducated people think that they're getting the real stuff...

But i guess it's become like voting, u dont choose the one you believe in, but the lesser evil of the bunch... :angry:

It'll fun when our streets will be filled with Safeways, Starbucks, Cobbs, and Shoppers Drug Marts, with a few 99ct-pizza joints in btwn!

Edited by edm (log)

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

If you ever find yourself bemoaning your being forced to grab a crap coffee at a Starbucks drive through, you can console yourself by recognizing that at least you don't have to go to an Esquires. Or Blenz.

I visited a Blenz when I was in Vancouver because it was a few steps away from the hotel. I could live with the fact that the barista was unable to understand what I wanted when I requested a double ristretto (despite my offering a patient and simle explanation).

Then he proceeded to inform me that "we try to make all of our espresso with no crema because crema is bad - it's the part of the shot that makes it taste bitter". And Esuqire is even worse than that? Wow.