• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brazilian cuisine in the DC area

Inspired by the Brazilian section of this listing, I wanted to poll the group to hear about your favorites.

I ate twice at Grill from Ipanema (which may be undergoing changes?) and neither loved nor hated the place. But it hasn't become a spot for repeat visits which says a lot. The food was fine; the atmosphere and service, just OK.

If there were a churrasqueria in DC proper, I guarantee I'd try it at least twice. When I lived in NYC, I was a frequent visitor to Riodizio and went to Plataforma a few times too. Ahhh, meat!

Are there other places missing from the list of Brazilian establishments?

Why do you think there aren't more Brazlian eats in the DC area?

How is Greenfield?

How is Greenfield?

Greenfield was kinda fun in a "let's get a large table with lots of people and stuff ourselves with all kinds of meats until we blow up like that girl in Willy Wonka" way. The place was mobbed when we went. Service was terrible. Next to impossible to get your check when you want it. Food delivery is easier because lots of folks wandering the room with skewers of meat that they carve right to your plate. I didn't find anything particularly Brazilian about the place, except perhaps the concept. But I've never been to Brazil, so I can't judge that even. Not cheap either.

If Ray's didn't exist, I'd maybe, perhaps, possibly consider going back. But since Ray's can help satisfy the meat urge and it's light-years to the hundredth power beyond Greenfield (I'm even embarrased to mention them in the same sentence!)I would not go back.

Greenfield isn't bad - if you don't know any better. When they first opened, the meat was well seasoned and prepared. Now they don't take the time to season the meat properly or cook it to a charred stage - not burnt but that glorious stage of goodness where you can tell it's been cooked over a wood/charcoal fire. I haven't been there in a while - if you work nearby I would suggest to go during lunch as its cheaper and will give you a good preview of the food.

If you're coming from NYC and hittin' these joints, I think you may not like it. Try it and see.

But for me, in this area, I'd rather take my 25 bucks and hit Annadale and get my meat fix at a Korean BBQ joint instead of Greenfield.

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

Funny you should mention it....here in the Caribbean provinces, Brazilian quisine is just that: stuffing yourself with lotsa meat. You get your condiments, and then a strapping fellow makes rounds of the place with dripping skewers of beef, pork, chicken, and just cuts you a piece of whatever you point at. Oddly enough, the place is called La Churrascaria or suchlike.

Takes casual dining to a whole new level. But you know what? I'll take this over fish stupid chips and club stupid sandwich at a hotel stupid restaurant any day.

Off to gnaw some protein :wub::wub: ,

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

Is Coco Loco still around?

Nope. It closed four or five years ago I think.

And it went through one of the odder death spirals, from Yannick Cam down to 25-cent taco nights advertised on domestic beer-sponsored window banners.