• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Disgusting combinations that taste great!

[...]

My dad eats chopped liver and jam...i wont even go there!

That doesn't sound very weird to me. Aren't foie gras and fruit combinations traditional?

meatballs with tomato and cranberry sauces...........

i always put cayenne pepper in my hot chocolate.

some people think this makes you horny. i'm split on the issue.[...]

I can't resist asking you which half thinks what. :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

I sometimes make sandwiches by spreading cream cheese on two slices of bread, then sticking sliced black olives into the cream cheese and putting the two slices together to eat. Yum!

There is no sincerer love than the love of food. -- George Bernard Shaw

If my response could have a title, it would be somethig like, "silly things to add to your beer"

When I was in college, I tried:

1. Fruit Loops and beer (yup, not so good, but edible

2. Oatmeal made with beer (quite good, actually)

3. Fanta (the soda) and beer (some of my friends loved this one... also, it's quite popular in chile)

But I guess my "foodie" option would be blue cheese and bitter chocolate. Surprisingly good flavor combination

When I was in college, I liked Nilla Vanilla wafers with beer.

Try it....you'll like it! :raz:

Eliza Cross

"A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion."

If my response could have a title, it would be somethig like, "silly things to add to your beer"

When I was in college, I tried:

1. Fruit Loops and beer (yup, not so good, but edible

2. Oatmeal made with beer (quite good, actually)

3. Fanta (the soda) and beer (some of my friends loved this one... also, it's quite popular in chile)

But I guess my "foodie" option would be blue cheese and bitter chocolate. Surprisingly good flavor combination

I once invented a beverage called the "thirst quenching head" which consisited of a cup of beer and a shot of fresca. Darn good stuff.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Nothing better late at night than a Frosty from Wendy's with hot, salty fries used for dipping.

I've known quite a few people to do that. The last time I visited a McDonalds, which was probably nearly ten years ago, I ordered fried and a shake. I tried to pretend that it didn't make my knees weak, but it did. Killer combo.

OK, well, it has been weeks, and I just have to know....

Suzanna -

Whats up the the huge photo of the onion? I mean, it is a really pretty onion, but umm, why? ;)

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

I wanna know about the onion too. It was a whole sentence, that onion. It said, "Onion!"

My fav embarrassing sammch: chunky peanut butter and bologna. I guess it's a cousin to the PB & bacon concept, but that actually might be giving it too much credit. I also have a Thing I do with eggrolls, but I don't know if I know y'all well enough for that.

A fun offshoot of this discussion is Crazy Single Person Fud (speaking as one)...I love hearing about the weird stuff people eat by themselves, esp. guys. I subsisted in my leaner years on a bizarre combo of rice, tuna, soy & parmesan. Still tastes good once in a while.

Peanuts & cola is a southern thing, yo! (re: previous threads) Moonpies and RC wif peanuts. You put a few salty ones in the bottom of your bottle...

Is anybody else thinking of Fisher's essay about the tangerines? And everyone's "secret eatings"? Or the great essay about the graduate student "sludge."

Du beurre! Donnez-moi du beurre! Toujours du beurre! ~ Fernand Point

I am committed to maple syrup. I know that I am biased because I think that it tastes good with almost everything.

When I'm having a bacon, eggs and toast breakfast, I pour maple syrup over the lot of it. I like the toast heavily buttered and soaked through. A little less on the eggs. Bacon must be crisp. This also works with pancakes. I don't think it's strange, but others seem to think differently.

My best friend recently started cooking. She says that it is like magic. Her signature dish is the one she that created first and has continued to make adjustments to. I was a total skeptic until I tried it; warm spinach salad nestled under a bed of sweet curried kidney beans, studded with roasted sweet potatoes and dressed with a maple syrup and dijon mustard sauce. The crowning glory is a fragrant mess of fresh raspberries in a cayenne-spiked caramel sauce redolent of butter and sugar. Lots of Maldon salt. Served with buttered corn muffins.

I am also obsessed with peanut butter and I wrongly believe that it tastes good on most things. The Binnacle in Orleans on the Cape makes a surprisingly delicious "Thai pizza"- sounds horrid and gimmicky but it's utterly addictive. Good chewy crust, lots of peanut sauce, grilled chicken, green onions, plenty of salt and spice, a mantle of melting cheese. Like an open-faced chicken satay sandwich, but better.

some people think this makes you horny. i'm split on the issue.

there's a place in chicago that makes a jalapeno hot chocolate that's just heaven. in the winter it heats you up. ;) ;)

that is actually not as strange as you think. A) I do the same thing, it is a nice kick B) the Indians that first started drinking hot chocolate also did this. I can't remember why, but a little cayene or chili powder in hot cocoa is awesome.

"No matter where ya go, there ya are....and there ya go!"

there's a place in chicago that makes a jalapeno hot chocolate that's just heaven. in the winter it heats you up. ;) ;)

that is actually not as strange as you think. A) I do the same thing, it is a nice kick B) the Indians that first started drinking hot chocolate also did this. I can't remember why, but a little cayene or chili powder in hot cocoa is awesome.

The original Aztec / Mexíca recipe for chocolate (Cocahuatl)

blood

honey

cocoa butter

chillies

The original Aztec / Mexíca recipe for chocolate (Cocahuatl)

blood

honey

cocoa butter

chillies

Is that order?

Isn't cocoa butter just the oil part of chocolate, without any of the actual chocolate flavor?

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

• 2 weeks later...

Bravo to the person who posted about dipping french fries in a chocolate shake. That reminded me of my mom driving us home from swimming lessons back in the 70s, and we'd stop at Hardee's to get that combination. Sigh. Those were the days.

Here are some of my other favorite/odd combos:

-- Watermelon slices with goat cheese and finely ground black pepper

-- On sourdough, peanut butter, bacon, cheddar, and thin slices of a granny smith apple

-- And, my favorite childhood afterschool snack: raw carrots slathered in mayonnaise

Great thread. One man's 'weird' is another man's 'normal'. I don't know if I'd subject anyone else to these taste treats, but here they are:

Slices of cheddar cheese (the person who invented this loves Cracker Barrel white cheddar), with a lashing of tomato paste and peanuts. Umamilicious!

Velvet Elvises...peanut butter, bananas, and bacon, fried in butter grilled-cheese-style. Serve with Diet Dr Pepper and eat like The King. (Elvis' last meal was peach Sealtest ice cream, and in his last years he frequently enjoyed Jell-O made with Diet Shasta.)

Open face sandwiches made with ham, tomato slices, cheese, and chutney, broiled (or 'grilled' as we would say) until bubbly. You have to grill each layer so it all gets nice and warm. Or Vegemite + cheddar cheese. Not terribly weird here but a lot of people overseas don't understand Vegemite, so.... :) I tried making grilled sandwiches with peanut butter and cheese, but they were just a little too greasy.

Fake-o tuna casserole made with Kraft Mac & Cheese, drained tuna from a tin, and peas.

Pineapple with soy sauce. (I think this is Indonesian...either that or just a weird food thing someone's Indonesian roommate liked. :)

Natto with mozzarella on hot rice. (Make sure you have the natto with the little yellow packet to mix with it, and some green onions.)

Earthy-crunchy salad from Moosewood Cookbook, made with wheatberries, soybeans, assorted veggies, cottage cheese, and mayo. Oddly, it's also good without the dairy or mayo, but with Nayonaise. I think the soybeans make the fakey tofu flavor of the not-mayo product OK for some reason.

Avocado and Hershey's syrup not-milkshakes we had at a Vietnamese restaurant once.

Fake-o vegan eggnog made with silken tofu, some other junk, and turmeric. The turmeric really made it, for some reason, even though it's not something you'd think to add to fake eggnog.

Peanut butter Cap'n Crunch with soy milk. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm picking on vegans! The nutty soy milk taste and its texture go really well with the Cap'n's PB flavor.

When I make hashed Brussels sprouts with bacon, ala Julia Child, I always add just a touch of maple syrup, but I don't tell anyone. Mmm.

Wow... this pb and bacon must be something... seems to be a HUGE hit around here.

A friend was over the other day, she is from Vietnam, and she grew up making the red sauce for dipping spring rolls by mixing equal parts ketchup and maple syrup. Splendid and EASY!

Popcorn and M&Ms

I think that's as crazy as I get....

~K

Thank you as well for the conversational haitus. I generally refrain from speach during gustation. There are those who attempt both at the same time. I find it coarse and vulgar.

Big Dan Teague

O Brother, Where Art Thou?