• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Disgusting combinations that taste great!

How 'bout Coke & peanuts?

I guess it goes into the "If they jump off a cliff, would you do it too?"-category, but as a kid, we saw some older kids open a bottle of Coke, take a drink from it, and then proceed to pour lots of peanuts into the bottle... To this day, I still occasionally do it, except in a glass (and with the diet, caffeine-free stuff). Makes the glass look extremely narly, mind you.

(Edit: Me niet spel gud).

I was reading Naked by David Sedaris the other day, and he recounts how as a child volunteering in a mental hospital he saw an attendant take a bottle of RC Cola, stuff it with peanuts (whole in shell I think) and then let it sit for a while before drinking.

Now I have heard two references to this habit inside of a week, I might just have to try sometime.

Add a third reference. I knew some kids who did this. I tried it once. Go for it Nullo if you have the peanuts and coke on hand.

I absolutely relish vanilla ice cream with orange juice poured over it. My husband and kids don't appreciate it, neither does anyone else I mention it to, but I love it! Now if you try it, don't make the mistake of using vanilla bean ice cream. (Sorry to those of you who think there is no other vanilla ice cream). Breyers vanilla bean ruins this treat! UGHHHHHHH!

Edited by pepperAnn (log)

pepperAnn

At my house, you get two choices for dinner:

TAKE IT or LEAVE IT!!!

I absolutely relish vanilla ice cream with orange juice poured over it.  My husband and kids don't appreciate it, neither does anyone else I mention it to, but I love it!  Now if you try it, don't make the mistake of using vanilla bean ice cream.  (Sorry to those of you who think there is no other vanilla ice cream).  Breyers vanilla bean ruins this treat!  UGHHHHHHH!

It doesn't sound disgusting... in fact, it sounds like a liquid Creamsicle. :wub:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

imprint (fortuitous?) from childhood:

movie theater buttered and salted popcorn eaten with Junior Mints

(sweet and salty and buttery..)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Toast with raspberry jam and grated cheese.

another good variation-- lime marmalade or ginger marmalade on toast with melted cheese (I used cheddar) on top.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 2 weeks later...

My dad combines red wine with OJ and/or coke. I haven't tried it and feel certain it's not only disgusting, but certainly not how wine should be drunk...but he swears by it.

I Got a funny feeling Jimi Hendrix did this one, it good enough for him it good enough for anyone! :laugh:

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

My daughter eats grapes with soy sauce. She's loved the combo for years. I've tried it, but UGH. TRULY HORRID. However, if you mix some cut grapes into a stir fry with ginger and soy sauce, heaven!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Apple slices dipped in soy sauce. I always get funny looks, but the salty and sweet are really good together.

that IS really good... we used to do that as kids, picking the apples from our yard so they were extremely fresh... but we added one variation. we added chili flakes to the soy sauce. heaven :wub:

For breakfast - grits and tuna fish or salmon (yes, from a can). One of my kids' staples growing up - my son and his dad used to fight for the spine bones so I had to be sure to divide them equally. This was horrifying to me at first, but it actually isn't bad.

MY combination is Diet Pepsi and orange juice - looks like it will curdle when the oj is poured in, but it's awesome. I guess it's that citrus thing that cuts the sugar from the soda. I put lemon and/or lime in my sodas for years before the manufacturers thought of it. When I make that combo at work, I've learned to hide it because people get grossed out from it :shock: .

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

O-kay I'm finally going to admit it. I like beer and tomato juice (with the tomato juice in the bottom of the glass) with a dash of fish sauce :blush: , I've only admitted this to a few members of my family so far, this is so embarrasing. I've tried to quit but those 40 ounce bottles of $1.98 fish sauce keep dragging me back :biggrin: .

O-kay I'm finally going to admit it.  I like beer and tomato juice (with the tomato juice in the bottom of the glass) with a dash of fish sauce :blush: , I've only admitted this to a few members of my family so far, this is so embarrasing.  I've tried to quit but those 40 ounce bottles of $1.98 fish sauce keep dragging me back  :biggrin: .

sort of sounds like a beer and clamato juice cocktail, which is almost respectable (I have to admit I'm a little grossed out though :wacko::raz: )

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Well, I can't say this tastes "great", but I give myself great credit for being able to partake of it: I can, and regularly do, suck on a Halls mentho-lyptus drop while drinking a cup of hot coffee. It came about one terrible allergy season where I needed everything I could to get my sinuses open - the Halls wasn't enough, and I thought some hot steamy coffee would help as well - then I discovered that the hot steamy coffee makes the Halls vapors work all the better. Of course, the proper hot drink would be some kind of tea, but I drink black coffee in the morning, and so that's what I go with. I think it's sort of totally disgusting, and/but it's a taste that I'm just fine with now. (If anybody else is inspired to try it, I'd like to know just how disgusting it really is.) :wacko:

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

O-kay I'm finally going to admit it.  I like beer and tomato juice (with the tomato juice in the bottom of the glass) with a dash of fish sauce :blush: , I've only admitted this to a few members of my family so far, this is so embarrasing.  I've tried to quit but those 40 ounce bottles of $1.98 fish sauce keep dragging me back  :biggrin: .

I've always loved "Tomato Beers", which were just beer and tomato juice, no fish sauce. I think the fish sauce would be a great addition - I'm going to try it!

My dad combines red wine with OJ and/or coke. I haven't tried it and feel certain it's not only disgusting, but certainly not how wine should be drunk...but he swears by it.

I'm in spain right now, and coke with red wine is one of the teenage staple drinks. Its called "calimotxo" (calimocho). Its not bad.

• 3 weeks later...

If my response could have a title, it would be somethig like, "silly things to add to your beer"

When I was in college, I tried:

1. Fruit Loops and beer (yup, not so good, but edible

2. Oatmeal made with beer (quite good, actually)

3. Fanta (the soda) and beer (some of my friends loved this one... also, it's quite popular in chile)

But I guess my "foodie" option would be blue cheese and bitter chocolate. Surprisingly good flavor combination

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

If my response could have a title, it would be somethig like, "silly things to add to your beer"

When I was in college, I tried:

1. Fruit Loops and beer (yup, not so good, but edible

2. Oatmeal made with beer (quite good, actually)

3. Fanta (the soda) and beer (some of my friends loved this one... also, it's quite popular in chile)

But I guess my "foodie" option would be blue cheese and bitter chocolate. Surprisingly good flavor combination

Wow, I thought my friends were the only ones!!! We used to make Beer floats...yup, beer and vanilla ice cream. It's actually really good. I've always said that if 7-11 marketed a beer flavored Slurpee, I'd be their biggest fan. Mmmm.....beer slurpee....... :wub:

"No matter where ya go, there ya are....and there ya go!"

My college roommate spent a semester in Germany, where she took a liking to the students' favorite dessert combo: A Hershey bar, an orange, and vodka. I never did try it, and our campus was ostensibly "dry" so I never had occasion to see in what order or combination the ingredients were enjoyed.

Around here, beer and tomato juice is called a "red eye". If you use Clamato juice, it's a "fishy red eye".

I had a beer and clamato on the weekend, and damn it was good.

I don't mind the rat race, but I'd like more cheese.

I loved purple cows when I was a kid: grape juice & vanilla ice cream

Also graham crackers mashed up in applesauce

Milk & Pepsi inspired by Laverne & Shirley

bowlful of cookies and milk from my pre-lactose intolernace days

I'm sure i eat more wierd things but can't think of them right now...

oh yeah rice with fried eggs & sauce for breakfast

and when i was super dieting : Cream of rice with egg whites, equal, chocolate protein shake & spray butter..... actually it was kinda good

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise