• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Disgusting combinations that taste great!

This probably sounds a little "out there", but peanut butter and bacon sandwiches are absolutely delicious.  Same with peanut butter and vidalia onion sandwiches.

Ooh, that reminds me of the PB&J sandwiches with bacon that my mom fixed me as a child. Also a delicious combo. As are:

American cheese and sweet pickle sandwiches

cream cheese and jelly sandwiches

potato chips dipped in cream cheese

popcorn with milk

macaroni and cheese (in a box) with ketchup (learned to love this in Moscow)

Another southern delicacy is the onion sandwich - white bread, butter, and slices of raw onion. Not necessarily unusual or gross, but not for the faint of heart either.

My dad combines red wine with OJ and/or coke. I haven't tried it and feel certain it's not only disgusting, but certainly not how wine should be drunk...but he swears by it.

This probably sounds a little "out there", but peanut butter and bacon sandwiches are absolutely delicious.  Same with peanut butter and vidalia onion sandwiches.

No it's not! Peanut butter, bacon and red pepper jelly is one of my absolute favorites!

S. Cue

No it's not! Peanut butter, bacon and red pepper jelly is one of my absolute favorites!

It's so good to know that I'm not the only food wierdo out there! :blink: I had already posted this list on the wackiest food thread, but I think this thread is more appropriate. Here goes.......

Sharp Cheddar Cheese and Chocolate Chip Cookie "Sandwich" (I put a slice of sharp cheddar between two chocolate chip cookies

- Same as above, but substitute cream cheese for cheddar cheese

- Potato Chip and Bologna Sandwiches with Mayo; cheese optional on white or potato bread

- Sliced Hot Dogs in Campbell's Alphabet Vegetable Soup (and no, it can't be really good, homemade vegetable soup, it has to be Campbells!!!) :laugh:

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there's more.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I know it's a traditional combination, but I was a little leery of sliced strawberries topped with balsamic vinegar and powdered sugar until I tried it. That's one of my favorites now.

Continuing in the pepper vein from the earlier posts...and one of the easiest recipes ever: white bread toast slathered with good butter and topped with freshly cracked black pepper. Do not substitute anything. Must be white bread, must be good butter, must be freshly cracked pepper. Yummy.

“How can a nation be great if its bread tastes like Kleenex?”

-Julia Child

Toast with raspberry jam and grated cheese.

Cheese & onion crisps in a cheese and ham sandwhiches

Diet Coke and Ribena (Blackcurrant cordial)

Cheese & banana toasted sandwiches

sausage and beetroot chutney sandwiches

My friend used to love sugar sandwiches

Sandwiches I luv that make people cringe. The titles come from actual comments from family, friends, roommates and SOs:

The "I Thought They Only Sold That Stuff In Gas Stations and Camp Stores" -- on white bread lightly buttered, equal parts Underwood's deviled ham spread (critical) and yellow mustard, sliced radishes and bread butter pickles;

The "Ramen is A Soup" -- cook a batch of chicken ramen noodles and drain them before mixing in the spice packet. The noodles should be a little moist. Mix in some Kraft Parmesan or American cheese. Serve on buttered white bread.

The "Not As Bad As I Imagined" -- on pumpernickel or other dark bread lightly buttered, loads of cheap liverwurst with bread and butter pickle and slice of American cheese or in a pinch some sharp cheddar;

The "There's Olive Oil Dripping Down Your Arm, Loser" -- on a crusty baguette or similar, green peppers that I've fried in olive oil until they blister or get a little charred and copious amounts of salt. No butter needed because of the large amount of olive oil.

The "Frugality Has Its Limits" -- after making a batch of potstickers and getting sick of rolling out wrappers, stuffing and steaming, reserve the leftover filling. The next day, fry up some of your potsticker filling and fill a kaiser roll or other bun. If you have some cabbage, fry it up and top it off.

The "Aw, Jeesuschrist, You Can't Be Serious" -- on any bread lightly buttered, cold leftover spaghetti with meat sauce. It has to be the old school kind my mom used to make in the '70s with Hunt's tomatoes and tomato paste, ground beef, onions and bay leaf, straight from the fridge and heaped on the bread with a generous sprinkling of Kraft Parmesan from the green can. Mmmm, mmmm, good.

"Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam; spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam. "

French fries dipped in a chocolate shake (a malted is even better) are quite tasty.

I concur. Something about French fries and chocolate milk shakes.... I am also quite fond of peanut butter and yogurt.
Thou Shalt Not Eat Food By DuPont. - Barb

My husband makes an appetizer out of all things I hate (or used to) but I love these!

Ryes

Coctail rye bread

onion juice

miracle whip (triple ick!)

copious amounts of Worcheshire sauce

the green can of parmesan cheese (can substitute refrigerated tub of cheese but the real thing melts too well)

Mix up all the goop (brownish in color when you're done) and pop it on a rye bread and toast it in the toaster oven.

I never would have believed it but these are dang good, tangy and you don't really tast any of the 'parts'.

How 'bout Coke & peanuts?

I guess it goes into the "If they jump off a cliff, would you do it too?"-category, but as a kid, we saw some older kids open a bottle of Coke, take a drink from it, and then proceed to pour lots of peanuts into the bottle... To this day, I still occasionally do it, except in a glass (and with the diet, caffeine-free stuff). Makes the glass look extremely narly, mind you.

(Edit: Me niet spel gud).

Edited by Grub (log)

I guess it goes into the "If they jump off a cliff, would you do it too?"-category, but as a kid, we saw some older kids open a bottle of Coke, take a drink from it, and then proceed to pour lots of peanuts into the bottle... To this day, I still occasionally do it, except in a glass (and with the diet, caffeine-free stuff). Makes the glass look extremely narly, mind you.

(Edit: Me niet spel gud).

I was reading Naked by David Sedaris the other day, and he recounts how as a child volunteering in a mental hospital he saw an attendant take a bottle of RC Cola, stuff it with peanuts (whole in shell I think) and then let it sit for a while before drinking.

Now I have heard two references to this habit inside of a week, I might just have to try sometime.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

As are:

American cheese and sweet pickle sandwiches

cream cheese and jelly sandwiches

potato chips dipped in cream cheese

I like dill pickles wrapped in American Cheese slices also my Dad used to make me cream cheese and jelly sandwiches for lunch when I was young.

Mussels dipped in malted vinegar was a favorite of my Grandfather. I think this is a British thing.

Edited by CherieV (log)

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

Mussels dipped in malted vinegar

Ohh man I gotta try that!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

This month's Martha Stewart Living features--you guessed it--a peanut butter and bacon club sandwich!

S. Cue

Apple slices dipped in soy sauce. I always get funny looks, but the salty and sweet are really good together.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Toast nicely the bread and spread Skippy peanut butter medium to thick spread. Dress with mature cheddar cheese stripes and decorate with lashings of French's mustard and top up with gherkins.

Preferably enjoyed with Led Zeppelin played very loud in the background.

I've got two questions...

* Shelled or unshelled peanuts? I ASSUME shelled (not just because unshelled wouldn't fit down the neck of the bottle), but want to be clear.

* Does one eat the peanuts at the bottom?

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

Warm apple fritters and cold Kokanee!

Someone told me this was the Canadian national breakfast... I tried it and was hooked.

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

Thanks. So that makes a beer and apple fritters for breakfast. Will scotch with a large and decadent napoleon count?

Caught myself eating hot (and I mean HOT) pork rinds with cream cheese yesterday when I got home from the hospital. It just had to have flavor!!

I like dill pickles wrapped in American Cheese slices also my Dad used to make me cream cheese and jelly sandwiches for lunch when I was young.

Cream cheese and jam sandwiches are a major staple for summer camping trips. Once you run out of perishable sandwich materials, those are pretty much the only ingredients you're left with - tasty though!

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda