• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Disgusting combinations that taste great!

This may be considered unpalatable but it's great:  Stout brownies topped with Thai-Pepper ice cream.[...]

As in Guinness Stout? You put beer in the brownie batter?

I'm intrigued by this, too; I'll bet they're good. And St. Patrick's Day is coming up...

A little Google-fu turns up this recipe, by Grace Neill. What seems weird is that the recipe calls for bittersweet and white chocolates, mixed together. I don't understand the reason for that part. Anyway, somebody should try this recipe and let me know if it's good.

On the subject of flavor combinations, spicy and chocolate is good, as for example in cayenne-chocolate ice cream. Kicking it Aztec-style, don't you know.

Toasted bread with butter, jam and potato chips. My all time favourite, accompanied by a tall glass of cold milk. One of the first times my husband saw me make this I was pregnant. He "assumed" I was having a weird craving due to the pregnancy... :wink:

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

I've always been fond of beer with either orange or grapefruit juice in it.

At my running club, when we have people crash at my place, I serve them the same thing... except using tang!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

At my running club, when we have people crash at my place, I serve them the same thing... except using tang!

Yes absolutely, also with lime juice...

But beer with salt, now there is a good thing....

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Yes absolutely, also with lime juice...

Sounds like a shandy: a great drink for hot summer days at the beach. I also know lots of folks who like beer and tomato juice, aka "redeye".

Wow, some really....wierd...things on this thread...

When I was younger (I was told) that our nanny who was from the phillipenes used to make me peanut butter and MAYO sandwiches, and apparently i LIked it...sounds revolting!

My dad eats chopped liver and jam...i wont even go there!

When I was in the Army, one of my roommates would take toast, butter it, apply mayo, then peanut butter then sprinkle sugar on the peanut butter and occasionally add a few strips of bacon then add another piece of toast coated with mayo.

I couldn't watch her eat it, particularly when she dipped a corner in her milk. :huh:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

[...]

My dad eats chopped liver and jam...i wont even go there!

That doesn't sound very weird to me. Aren't foie gras and fruit combinations traditional?

Michael aka "Pan"

I make a "deconstructed truffle" confection on a dark chocolate disk that consists of a milk chocolate/dulce de leche ganache <snip>

Oh please do tell how you make this choc/dulce de leche ganache !!!!

I make my dulce de leche by cooking an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in a pressure cooker. Usually 30 minutes after the cooker comes up to pressure suffices, but there's a thread in Pastry & Baking that covers the process in detail with lots of different options (especially this post). If you do cook in a pressure cooker, be sure to release the pressure immediately and remove the can right away, otherwise you'll overcook it. And, let the can cool completely before opening.

Next I make a milk chocolate ganache. I tend to make one large quantity of a basic recipe and then divide it into smaller batches and make several flavors at a time. For this purpose, I'd use a 1:2 parts ratio of cream:chocolate (though the exact ratio depends on the fat content of the cream and the actual milk chocolate used). Once the chocolate and cream have been fully incorporated and still slightly warm, I add the dulce de leche, usually in a 1:3 ratio (4 ounces (weight) dulce de leche added to 12 ounces (weight) ganache) - making a pound of ganache. Fold together and let set. This will make a pipable (at room temp) ganache and I find it holds up well under refrigeration if care is taken to prevent condensation inside the container.

:Clay

Clay Gordon

president, pureorigin

editor/publisher www.chocophile.com

founder, New World Chocolate Society

I make a "deconstructed truffle" confection on a dark chocolate disk that consists of a milk chocolate/dulce de leche ganache <snip>

Oh please do tell how you make this choc/dulce de leche ganache !!!!

I make my dulce de leche by cooking an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in a pressure cooker. Usually 30 minutes after the cooker comes up to pressure suffices, but there's a thread in Pastry & Baking that covers the process in detail with lots of different options (especially this post). If you do cook in a pressure cooker, be sure to release the pressure immediately and remove the can right away, otherwise you'll overcook it. And, let the can cool completely before opening.

Next I make a milk chocolate ganache. I tend to make one large quantity of a basic recipe and then divide it into smaller batches and make several flavors at a time. For this purpose, I'd use a 1:2 parts ratio of cream:chocolate (though the exact ratio depends on the fat content of the cream and the actual milk chocolate used). Once the chocolate and cream have been fully incorporated and still slightly warm, I add the dulce de leche, usually in a 1:3 ratio (4 ounces (weight) dulce de leche added to 12 ounces (weight) ganache) - making a pound of ganache. Fold together and let set. This will make a pipable (at room temp) ganache and I find it holds up well under refrigeration if care is taken to prevent condensation inside the container.

:Clay

Excellent, thank you so much - I will be trying this very soon - I actually just buy the Argentine dulce de leche in a jar for everything else, so I'll give it a go with that...

Gracias for the rec!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Peanut Butter Hamburgers. Apparently this was a popular drive-in special in the 50's. I like to slather crunchy peanut butter on a freshly grilled burger. Add all the fixings and you're in like Flynn!

raquel

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

My friend Zach used to eat bagels with garlic hummus and peanut butter. I used to sit there and watch him eat these things with a look of disgust on my face, until one day he forced me to try one. By george, it was actually pretty good! I helped myself to another.

Nothing to see here.

A british thing - but strawberries and a grinding of black pepper.  You don't taste the pepper but the strawberries - for some reason - taste more intensely of fruit.  Don't know how it works.

Baked/oven-warmed Brie de Meaux, strawberries, roasted garlic and cracked pepper atop a baguette. Heaven! :wub:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Do you have any stories of ingredients that sound horrible together but actually taste fantastic?

A friend of mine brought an appetizer once that made us cringe when we heard the ingredients, but weep with pleasure once we tried it.

She took a wheel of Brie (which I don't care for), cut it into sections and put slices of Granny Smith apple in between. Then she covers this combo with brown sugar and walnuts, and bakes until it becomes a soft gooey mass and the sugar melts.

Served with more raw apple slices and crackers, it's delicious!

Tina

This may be considered unpalatable but it's great:  Stout brownies topped with Thai-Pepper ice cream.[...]

As in Guinness Stout? You put beer in the brownie batter?

That's right. I don't the exact amount but I assume that you replace a portion of the liquid in the recipe with beer.

I'm sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people in this country are fed up with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not, and I'm sick and tired of being told that I am!

1 piece white bread, 1 piece wholemeal.

Spread butter and raspberry jam on the wholemeal slice.

Spread peanut butter (chunky is better) on the white bread slice.

On a fried fish sandwich patty, slather a generous amount of mayo, squirt chilli sauce, add a few dashes of dark soya sauce.

Top with iceberg lettuce, a slice or two of tomato and a couple slices of cucumber.

Build the fish sammich.

De-li-cious! :wub:

A british thing - but strawberries and a grinding of black pepper.  You don't taste the pepper but the strawberries - for some reason - taste more intensely of fruit.  Don't know how it works.

pepper seems to work with a lot of fruit.

may be an indian thing, but i love a dash of salt

and red chili powder on all kinds of fruit

(e.g. guava, melons, mangoes, peaches, etc.)

the hot and sweet combination is fantastic.

milagai

Beer in brownies doesn't sound so far-fetched, especially something like guinness that has chocolate/coffee flavor notes in it already. In fact, a friend of mine makes a killer chocolate/guiness milkshake, and I think he has tried it with coffee ice cream as well, also to good result.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

• 2 weeks later...

While expecting Son #1, my tastebuds found nothing better than the combination of Fritos---the ORIGINALS, those petrified salty ribbons--scooped first into Cheez Whiz, then into orange marmalade. I carried around a huge brandy snifter of ice water, parking it where it would be handy...but it's a wonder I didn't dessicate from the inside out.

And coincidentally, several years ago, a popular wedding reception/party recipe consisted of grated cheese, garlic, mayo, formed in a ring mold and centered with a jar of strawberry jam. But more genteely served with dainty crackers.

Bagel sliced in half, cream cheese, oil-packed kippered snacks, black pepper, and Tabasco. Really addictive.

I think shrimp and chicken go really well together. Sort of a vitello tonato rip off.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

pepper seems to work with a lot of fruit.

may be an indian thing, but i love a dash of salt

and red chili powder on all kinds of fruit

(e.g. guava, melons, mangoes, peaches, etc.)

the hot and sweet combination is fantastic.

milagai

I love that too. But then, I like hot pepper with almost anything. (There's a store in Stratford that sells cayenne peanut brittle. Also very tasty.)

My favourite regular everyday disgusting combination is salsa stirred into cottage cheese. Looks like cat barf from a particularly unhappy animal, tastes yummy.

My favourite regular everyday disgusting combination is salsa stirred into cottage cheese. Looks like cat barf from a particularly unhappy animal, tastes yummy.

heh heh! when i have absolutely nothing else to nosh on

i like salsa stirred into yogurt....

milagai

• 3 weeks later...
One of my favorite breakfasts is Low-Carb rye topped with livwurst, sugar-free Soy Nut Butter, Stevia, mustard, mayo, and coconut.  This seems to freak others out, but it really is very tasty...

This is similar to my favorite (but not so heart healthy) sandwhich of liverwurst, Imperial cold pack cheddar, and hot mustard on rye bread. Doesn't seem all that weird to me, but it seems to gross some folks out. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

My mom puts salt on watermelon and mayo on french fries - to me these things are odd! :hmmm: