• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Disgusting combinations that taste great!

When I broil salmon, I brush it with a mixture that’s made by whisking together 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard and 1 firmly packed teaspoon of brown sugar. My friend, who hates balsamic vinegar, recoiled at the thought of trying this. The beautiful part is, once this mixture has been kissed by the heat of the oven, it imparts a sweet flavor to the fish with no hint of vinegar at all. He loved it and was astonished. Do you have any stories of ingredients that sound horrible together but actually taste fantastic?

I make a "deconstructed truffle" confection on a dark chocolate disk that consists of a milk chocolate/dulce de leche ganache and an Italian herbed sea salt that contains fresh rosemary, fresh sage, fresh garlic, and ground black pepper. Most people are horrified at the thought, but really, really love it when they work up the courage to taste it.

The sea salt coupled with the pungency of the fresh herbs and the bite of the garlic and pepper turns out to be perfect foil for the sweetness and strong milk caramel flavors of the ganache -- balanced with the relative bitterness of the dark chocolate. It's eaten upside down so the salt hits the tongue before the ganache.

:Clay

Clay Gordon

president, pureorigin

editor/publisher www.chocophile.com

founder, New World Chocolate Society

AppleBrownBetty, your salmon trick is very similar to one I make often -- just a fillet of salmon smeared with dijon mustard and sprinkled with brown sugar. It's great grilled or in the oven.

As for odd combinations, I learned a trick from a Vietnamese woman while hiking outside of Hanoi -- she fed us slices of star fruit dipped in a mixture of sugar, salt, and cayenne pepper. It is delicious on almost any fruit.

One of my favorite breakfasts is Low-Carb rye topped with livwurst, sugar-free Soy Nut Butter, Stevia, mustard, mayo, and coconut. This seems to freak others out, but it really is very tasty...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Anyone ever try Oreos® with beer?

Don't knock it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

This may be considered unpalatable but it's great: Stout brownies topped with Thai-Pepper ice cream.

Green tea ice cream is also an odd but yummy treat.

I'm sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people in this country are fed up with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not, and I'm sick and tired of being told that I am!

Skippy Peanut Butter and Hellman's Mayonnaise on Wonder Bread.

or

Natural Peanut Butter and Hellman's Mayonnaise on and soft bread.

MMMMM...mmmm....

Try it. I swear, if you like both, you'll love the combo. I've been evangelising for years, still no takers. ('cept my sister who came up with the combo)

This may be considered unpalatable but it's great:  Stout brownies topped with Thai-Pepper ice cream.[...]

As in Guinness Stout? You put beer in the brownie batter?

Michael aka "Pan"

Skippy Peanut Butter and Hellman's Mayonnaise on Wonder Bread.

or

Natural Peanut Butter and Hellman's Mayonnaise on and soft bread.

MMMMM...mmmm....

Try it. I swear, if you like both, you'll love the combo. I've been evangelising for years, still no takers. ('cept my sister who came up with the combo)

Add a layer of fresh kim chee and then it's perfect...no kidding. Definitely not for the faint hearted but a tasty surprise for fearless eaters.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

This probably sounds a little "out there", but peanut butter and bacon sandwiches are absolutely delicious. Same with peanut butter and vidalia onion sandwiches.

Of course, you can spruce them up a bit by using an organic peanut butter (or cashew butter, or pistachio butter, etc.) and some nice Italian pancetta. Delicious stuff.

Also, buttering cookies is quite tasty. :) Grab a handful of Chips A'Hoy and butter 'em up. Of course, this will take about 20 years off your life expectancy, but it's well worth it. :)

Also, buttering cookies is quite tasty. :)  Grab a handful of Chips A'Hoy and butter 'em up.  Of course, this will take about 20 years off your life expectancy, but it's well worth it. :)

Omigod, I thought that my husband was the only one who buttered cookies! (well, the biscuits that we eat over here in blighty). He even butteres shortbread, which is practically all butter anyhow!

and while i'm on this rant, what is the thing about pouring cream over ice cream?!? i shall always be a foreigner where this is concerned. and also: what is the deal with ice cream without a flavour, just ice cream! cream flavour.

well i have my own weirdo combos have no fear. i have soooo many of them where to begin. i do love mustard on bagel sandwiches. and peanut butter and marmite. and a slice of cold boiled potato topped with a slice of sharp cheddar, a slice of onion, and both ketchup and yellow mustard! maybe buttered rye toast topped with cottage cheese and either chopped green onions or raw garlic and handful of baby greens or alfalfa sprouts. grilled cheese and pickles is always good.

salt and butter rather than syrup on my waffles or pancakes.

garlic on toast for breakfast unless i'm taking a break and have onion instead.

somehow i always think, gosh i eat outrageous combinations if only people knew...and here i am trying to remember them and they seem soooo sedate.

x m

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

This probably sounds a little "out there", but peanut butter and bacon sandwiches are absolutely delicious.  Same with peanut butter and vidalia onion sandwiches.

Pickled Jalapeño's stuffed with peanut butter. Yum!

Also, peanut butter, banana, and potato chip sandwiches, sometimes with a drizzle of honey.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

This probably sounds a little "out there", but peanut butter and bacon sandwiches are absolutely delicious.  Same with peanut butter and vidalia onion sandwiches.

Of course, you can spruce them up a bit by using an organic peanut butter (or cashew butter, or pistachio butter, etc.) and some nice Italian pancetta.  Delicious stuff.

Also, buttering cookies is quite tasty. :)  Grab a handful of Chips A'Hoy and butter 'em up.  Of course, this will take about 20 years off your life expectancy, but it's well worth it. :)

That reminds me of a sandwich I used to make all the time in high school, stolen from my mom's gourmet magazine: an apple, bacon, bean sprouts and peanut butter sandwich. Outta this world. And guaranteed to gross out most teenagers.

Heavily buttered and salted popcorn and champagne

Cheese popcorn and red wine

:wub: Really!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I make a "deconstructed truffle" confection on a dark chocolate disk that consists of a milk chocolate/dulce de leche ganache and an Italian herbed sea salt that contains fresh rosemary, fresh sage, fresh garlic, and ground black pepper. Most people are horrified at the thought, but really, really love it when they work up the courage to taste it.

The sea salt coupled with the pungency of the fresh herbs and the bite of the garlic and pepper turns out to be perfect foil for the sweetness and strong milk caramel flavors of the ganache -- balanced with the relative bitterness of the dark chocolate. It's eaten upside down so the salt hits the tongue before the ganache.

:Clay

Oh please do tell how you make this choc/dulce de leche ganache !!!!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

My nieces love bananas and spaghetti sauce. And they eat mashed potatoes and tuna fish - that's not too bad.

My niece makes a very good sauce to put over the country style pork strips. It looks like baby barf but it really tastes good. It's a combination of diced canned tomatoes and blue cheese salad dressing or ranch salad dressing. Mix the two together and pour over the pork strips and bake as normal. I've put it over a 7 bone roast and over other types of pork steaks and it is delicous.

When I lived in the South (USA) about 15 years ago, I was at a potluck and I tried a combination that everyone said was delicious and it was. A slice of spice cake and chili.

Christy

Of course, you can spruce them up a bit by using an organic peanut butter (or cashew butter, or pistachio butter, etc.) and some nice Italian pancetta.  Delicious stuff.

I love peanut butter & bacon sandwiches. Sometimes I add a nice slice of sharp cheddar.

Today is going to be one of those days.....

Wow, some really....wierd...things on this thread...

When I was younger (I was told) that our nanny who was from the phillipenes used to make me peanut butter and MAYO sandwiches, and apparently i LIked it...sounds revolting!

My dad eats chopped liver and jam...i wont even go there!