• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wild Boar Roast in Ft. Bragg

I won't post the whole thing here, just a link:

http://ovipositor.com/boar-roast/

Some friends and I went up to the Rendezvous Inn in Ft. Bragg and had a fabulous meal of roasted boar. There are photos and some thoughts on the event.

For what it's worth, I think one of the best things about it was that it was an event. Other than dinner parties, I don't get to be a part of enough of those, and it really is the sort of thing that makes life worth living - to get a lot of people together for nothing other than eating.

Enjoy.

I won't post the whole thing here, just a link:

http://ovipositor.com/boar-roast/

Some friends and I went up to the Rendezvous Inn in Ft. Bragg and had a fabulous meal of roasted boar. There are photos and some thoughts on the event.

For what it's worth, I think one of the best things about it was that it was an event. Other than dinner parties, I don't get to be a part of enough of those, and it really is the sort of thing that makes life worth living - to get a lot of people together for nothing other than eating.

Enjoy.

Dear Uncle Ovipositor,

That does look like a lot of fun and agree with your outlook!

I grew up in the midwest, where it was not uncommon for folks to have a whole roast pig at a special occasion picnic. I recall going to a butcher where they cooked them once, they had special ovens and big trailers they would use to get the pigs to the picnic. It was always so succulent and delicious! Jealous.

If you still had room for beer, I hope you stopped at North Coast Brewing in Fort Bragg...

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I just reviewed your link and the Day of Roasted Boar looks amazing. I emailed the info to a friend that lives in the Marina (SF) with the hopes that she will convert her B-day Party from a house at Stinson Beach to a trip up to the Rendevous Inn including the roasted boar. She is not as into meat so I am not sure I can entice her but worth a try. If you need a few more people for when you do it again, let me know so I can fly up from LA. Any excuse to visit Northern CA and eat good food. :rolleyes:

Dear Uncle Ovipositor,

That does look like a lot of fun and agree with your outlook!

I grew up in the midwest, where it was not uncommon for folks to have a whole roast pig at a special occasion picnic.  I recall going to a butcher where they cooked them once, they had special ovens and big trailers they would use to get the pigs to the picnic.  It was always so succulent and delicious!  Jealous.

If you still had room for beer, I hope you stopped at North Coast Brewing in Fort Bragg...

Erik

There's actually a bar near me in Oakland, where all the longshoremen hang out, and it used to be that on Fridays they'd roast a whole pig outside on a big spit. I'd be biking in to work in the morning as they were loading the pig onto the spit and getting the coals going, and then stop by on my way home. They might still do it, but I haven't been by there in a while.

We stopped for a light lunch at North Coast before the boar roast, but they didn't have their smoked salmon available - my favorite there. More than once I've ordered it as a starter AND a dessert.

I just reviewed your link and the Day of Roasted Boar looks amazing.  I emailed the info to a friend that lives in the Marina (SF) with the hopes that she will convert her B-day Party from a house at Stinson Beach to a trip up to the Rendevous Inn including the roasted boar.  She is not as into meat so I am not sure I can entice her but worth a try.  If you need a few more people for when you do it again, let me know so I can fly up from LA.  Any excuse to visit Northern CA and eat good food.  :rolleyes:

Ft Bragg is a long way away, and it can be hard to convince people to drive that far just to eat - especially if they're not big on meat - but I was really surprised by how good the food was. I mean, I knew it was good, but it was more than I was expecting, and I want to go back for a more traditional meal sometime soon. It's just a different take on French cooking than I'm used to seeing around here - which may be my ignorance of French cooking, but I do think there's something different in chef Badenhop's approach.

Of course, you're willing to come up from LA, so there ya go. When we do this again I'll post something here - assuming it's a big enough event to accomadate a few extra people. Looks like I've got to get a hunting license...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks for posting.

Is someone local planning an eG gathering to go to this roast?

sounds great to me, I would fly in if my schedule allows.

I'm not planning anything in particular at the moment, and don't see myself doing anything in the immediate future. Eventually, yes. But right now I don't have the time. Still, you have the restaraunt's info....

I had dinner at Rendezvous just this past Saturday night. The Chef was very personable and although we didn't have the wild boar, all the table surrounding us did. They all spoke thier compliments loudly.

The Escargot (shown in the post above) was very light and fresh, undercooked a bit, and the herbs in the sauce accented but did not overpower from the whole. The Chicken Liver salad with Lardons was the show-stealer. They were crisp, yet medium rare. Perfect foil for Pinot Noir.

We had the Last bottle of 99 Etude pinot noir, and when I told the chef that I used Etude Pinot Noir to make my wife fall in love with me, he said the same thing about Dr. Pepper. I have to hear that story!

The food was fantastic!

--L

Edited by Narcissus (log)

Taco Truck or Per Se - No matter as long as passion drives the food