• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Belle de Brillet Pear Liqueur

Liz Johnson

It makes a very tasty pear Kir Royale. Just a splash into some Champagne and Voila! An instantly delicious brunch beverage.

I think this could make an amazing Pear Sidecar variant as well.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I would love to know where to find some of this in Manhattan.

Liz: Check out a copy of Cocktails in New York by Anthony Giglio. There is a recipe in there for the "Pear Martini" they serve at Blue Ribbon made with Belle de Brillet, Absolut Citron and lime juice. According to this SF Chron article by Gary Regan, it's made with 2 ounces Belle de Brillet, 1 ounce citrus vodka and 1 ounce fresh lime juice (shake with ice and strain).

--

Liz: Check out a copy of Cocktails in New York by Anthony Giglio.  There is a recipe in there for the "Pear Martini" they serve at Blue Ribbon made with Belle de Brillet, Absolut Citron and lime juice.  According to this SF Chron article by Gary Regan, it's made with 2 ounces Belle de Brillet, 1 ounce citrus vodka and 1 ounce fresh lime juice (shake with ice and strain).

Sam:

Sherry-Lehmann carries it at $34.95/bottle. They also have the Maison Brillet Pineau des Charentes at $17.95. Both products are absolutely delicious and the cocktails were phenomenal! :wub:

I tried a few cocktails made with both of these at the tasting I first was introduced to the product. I think I still have the recipe booklet at home. I'll look for it and report back later if I find those cocktail recipes. Might be sooner rather than later if this snow doesn't let up!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I think this could make an amazing Pear Sidecar variant as well.

I can't believe I didn't think of that, what with all the sidecar drinking I've been doing lately. Yes, please let me know what you find from the booklet!

Sam, have you tried that pear martini? From what I've tasted of the Belle de Brillet, I'm thinking it might taste better with lemon rather than lime.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Sherry-Lehmann carries it at $34.95/bottle.  They also have the Maison Brillet Pineau des Charentes at $17.95.

Sweet! Will have to procure some (although I am swiftly running out of room to hide bottles around the house). For pineau cocktails, of course, there's always the Per Se house cocktail.

Sam, have you tried that pear martini? From what I've tasted of the Belle de Brillet, I'm thinking it might taste better with lemon rather than lime.

Haven't tried it yet for lack of any Belle de Brillet. But it intrigues me. Lemon does seem more like a natural to me, but I'd like to try it with lime first. I have to assume they've not making it that way for no reason.

--

Oh My!!!! The Gary Regan article says the Pear Martinis are the perfect pairing with Oysters! :huh:

Wow! I may be forced to buy some Belle de Brillet for my restaurant now! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Picked up a bottle of Belle de Brillet at Astor Wines and made a Pear Martini last night. We declared it delicious. Interesting about the lime... it doesn't really register as lime at all in the mix.

--

I have a small bottle of Poirelle. Is it a similar product?

Looks to be quite similar. I'm wondering if I can find that in PA as well.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Hmmm. With oysters? Could be. But it is on it's own, quite good. The acid in the lime makes a nice contrast to the slightly syrup-y quality of the pear. I think that lemon would be too sweet. I'm a big fan. Thanks Sam!

A photo, with an improvised garnish.... kaffir lime leaf!

gallery_2325_925_400000.jpg

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

• 1 year later...

I did a cocktail with Belle de Brillet that was a sort of pear sangria-tini for lack of a better description.

1 oz. Belle de Brillet

.5 oz. Spiced Simple syrup

1 oz. Pear nectar

2 oz. dry white wine

optional: dash of fresh lemon juice (if too sweet for you)

Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a floating pear slice.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I did a cocktail with Belle de Brillet that was a sort of pear sangria-tini for lack of a better description.

1 oz. Belle de Brillet

1 oz. Pear nectar

2 oz. dry white wine

Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a floating pear slice.

This sounds absolutely delicious, Katie.

I like the martini idea above as well.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

i got to play with this at cocktails in the country...and now that ive seen this thread im going to make a sidecar with lairds applejack and belle de brillet...

i gave a taste of this to our pastry chef and his eyes lit up!

i would say you can sub this in most cointreau cases...

pear margarita?

rum, brillet, lime?

their website suggests..

brillet royale - 1/4 brillet, 3/4 champ.

brillet summertime - 1/7 brillet, 6/7 iced tea

brillet sour - 3/4 brillet, 1/4 lemon crushed ice

here are some of the recipes our class came up with...some are a bit wild because of all the good stuff to play with

London Fruit Cup

2 slices orange with rind removed

3 fresh raspberries

3 fresh mint leaves

2 ounces Tanqueray No. TEN

1 ounce Belle de Brillet

1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice

1/2 ounce simple syrup

1 orange twist, for garnish

Muddle the orange, raspberries, and mint in a mixing glass. Add the remaining ingredients. Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Add the garnish.

Prickly Pear

2 ounces Herradura Reposado tequila

1 ounce Belle de Brillet

1/2 ounce fresh lime juice

Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Michael's Grouse

2 ounces Famous Grouse scotch

1/2 ounce Belle de Brillet

1 splash Drambuie

Stir and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

enjoy..

B

1 oz. Belle de Brillet

1 oz. Pear nectar

2 oz. dry white wine

Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a floating pear slice.

This sounds absolutely delicious, Katie.

I like the martini idea above as well.

Thanks Ludja. It's definitely a bit more of an autumnal cocktail given the spice and pear flavor, but it was popular while it was on the menu at Amada. We just changed the cocktail menu a couple of weeks ago and replaced that drink with a Pomegranate Margarita for the warmer weather. Don't know if it'll make a comeback, but it's certainly in my Rolodex of drink recipes for the future.

My other best creation with the Belle de Brillet is a sidecar variant I call a Provencal Sidecar. I make a Lavender infused simple syrup and substitute that for the Cointreau in a regular sidecar. Sub the Belle de Brillet for the cognac and keep the lemon juice. Voila! A Lavender-Pear, or Provecal Sidecar. Most tasty.

I do love the Belle de Brillet. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

Liz: Check out a copy of Cocktails in New York by Anthony Giglio.  There is a recipe in there for the "Pear Martini" they serve at Blue Ribbon made with Belle de Brillet, Absolut Citron and lime juice.  According to this SF Chron article by Gary Regan, it's made with 2 ounces Belle de Brillet, 1 ounce citrus vodka and 1 ounce fresh lime juice (shake with ice and strain).

Based on this thread, I grabbed up a bottle of Belle de Brillet (about $35 at Sherry Lehman) and just made the pear martini. I used Absolut Mandrin as the citrus vodka. Certainly delicious, but for my taste, I am going to throttle back the lime a bit from 1 oz as it was too forward for me. I got a blast of acidity first, then the smooth peariness of the BdB came on. Less lime hopefully will balance it better.

The color is glorious, and I could see this being a regular quaff of my wife. A keeper for sure, and I can see how it would work with ersters.