• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto Restaurants SUNDAY

Wilfrid

Batifole on Gerrard east of Broadview is open Sun and Mon night. They have wonderful French food. Don't be fooled by the Chinatown location. He advertises his restaurant as "the best French food in Chinatown"

I was at Splendido a couple of weeks ago and had the wonderful 5 course tasting menu. The tables are well spaced so you don't wander into someone's conversation because they are sitting on top of you. Also they do not rush you. We were there over three hours and not once did we feel rushed. Those were my two complaints about Susur's. Splendido would be an excellent choice for dinner.

• 4 weeks later...

the drake is open sunday and monday. sunday is usually fairly quiet {the lounge isn't too busy}, so you can have an enjoyable dinner without feeling like your table was just dropped into the middle of a crowded club.

La Palette in Kensington is great little french restaurant.  No pretentions, just good french bistro food with an amazing international beer list.  Always open on Sunday night.

i'll second that recommendation, this place is a real gem. the menu is a mix of belgian and french bistro styles (no moules frites though, rather unfortunately)

I work around the corner and we go there for beers and snacks sometimes, or more rarely for a meal. the duck confit with blue cheese muffin is crispy juicy moist and tastes duck-y. the frites are predictably crisp and the house mayo has a nice licorice snap from tarragon. they also have a beer-tinged cheese plate.

It's on augusta, just south of college.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

• 1 year later...

here's the deal.

i'm in town until monday morning.

the weekend has quickly been booked up with various obligations involving family and friends.

sunday has thus become the only night i'm able to make it out for a nice dinner.

problem is, it's everyone's night off.

susur, lee, canoe, bymark, north 44...the list goes on.

all the big names are closed.

so, i'm looking for advice on where one could eat a wonderful, high-end meal in the city on a sunday night.

any ideas?

thanks in advance...

Jamie Kennedy is my usual Sunday evening go-to (both the Wine Bar and the Restaurant are open). Not sure how high-end you're looking...but in any case, Splendido would certainly fit your bill.

You could always try Niagara Street Cafe. They have a great wine list, as well as a few hidden gems behind the bar. I think Chiado is open on Sundays and it is an amazing Portugese restaurant with fish as the speciality. If you are free during the day you could always try brunch at Thuet's or Xacutti.

Toronto dining is limited on Sundays as you have commented that most of the bigger name restaurants are closed, but it could be an opportunity to try some of the lesser know establishements that are putting out some great food.

Sarah B, totally agree, never had a bad meal at Batifole!

Muskoka Kid

Opus is open on Sunday's and is one of my favourite restaurants in the city. I love their foie gras. In fact, we're dining there on Friday night.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.