• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto Restaurants SUNDAY

Wilfrid

Barberian's - Great Steak*

Chiado - Best Portuguese in Toronto*

Courtyard Cafe (Windsor Arms) - Nice Fusion food*

Lai Wah Heen (Metropolitan Hotel) Best Dim Sum and Chinese in town*

Mildred Pierce - downtown joint - nice plates*

Opus on Prince Arthur - Wine Spectator "Grand Award" !!*

Ruth's Chris - go to Barberian's

Terra - A little out of the way*

More importantly -

Sassafraz - stay away

Tundra (Hilton) - see Sassafraz

Where's your hotel? From Gordon's list, all are within walking distance (except for Terra, very far) from the Yonge and Bloor area but Chiado and Mildred Pierce are at least a 10 minute cab ride.

If you don't mind a 15 minute cab ride uptown, then go to JOV bistro - reservations a must.

The Host is upscale Indian also on Prince Arthur if that's what you are in the mood for.

Terrific recommendations, thanks. I did try to find an "open Sunday" list on Zagat.com, but failed. Maybe my fault. Ten minute cab rides are no problem. Mildred Pierce might, forgive me, perhaps be a little camp? :wacko:

I will report back on whatever I end up doing.

OK - Chiado it is, but Jov looks very tempting too. I may try a late lunch there on Monday if I have time.

I haven't eaten at Mildred Pierce in years, way back when it was very trendy, and no reservations. Food wasn't quite that memorable, but it was all very theatrical. Chefs have come and gone so I don't know how the food is these days. Segar Kulasegarampillai is the current chef so the menu has a bit of an Eastern twist.

In 1997, Mildred Pierce also launched the Cookworks, a series of cooking classes and workshops, with guest chefs like Claudio Aprile of Senses.

Cookworks

Wilfrid - JOV is closed on Mondays.

Degustation, how's the food at Mildred Pierce beyond their Sunday Brunch fare? I ate from their Sunday Brunch menu several years ago. BTW, it took me several go-arounds to find the place.

---------------

Steve

Good Luck if you ever need to find "The Fifth"

Yes, but at least the Fifth is located where there are people walking around. I remember when Mildred Pierce was in the middle of nowhere and you wondered if the neighborhood had been nuked and it was the only thing left standing. Now of course it is in the middle of condo-loft zone.

• 10 months later...
Ok. Sorry to bring this up a year later, BUT: what the heck is 'CAMP'?  :blink:

Are you serious? OK........

Main Entry: 3camp

Function: noun

Etymology: origin unknown

Date: circa 1909

1 : exaggerated effeminate mannerisms exhibited especially by homosexuals

2 : a homosexual displaying camp

3 : something so outrageously artificial, affected, inappropriate, or out-of-date as to be considered amusing

4 : something self-consciously exaggerated or theatrical

P.S. ....J.P. Challet is cooking at the Beard House this Monday I think.

Yes - perhaps i'm just not hip with the terminology.... I've been to Mildred Pierce a few years back when I was in TO. I really did enjoy the meal, and I was just rying to associate my experience with 'camp' - well, now I know! Thanks!

One of the most shocking experinces I ever had was trying to find an open restaurant at Younge and Eglington on a Sunday afternoon. I was very unsuccessful.

This was a few years ago. But I don't think much has changed.

Actually there are quite a few restaurants open on Sun for brunch/ lunch at Yonge and Eg. Some off the top of my head:

Alize, la Vecchia, Amore, Grazie (Italian)

Green Papaya, Sorn Thai (Thai/Vientnamese)

Cha Liu (All day dim sum)

Bloor Street Diner (French bistro chain)

Summit House Grill, Redwood Grille (Contemporary)

Quite a few pubs are usually open as well as Sunset Grill for all day breakfast.

Not necessarily gourmet but some are decent noshing if you're hungry.

• 1 year later...