• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Late Night London

OK, My wife and I are flying in from Rome fairly late (for London- will be in heathrow around 8:30, I figure eating around 10)and need a good dining option- we're staying on Hyde Park, any good middle eastern that fits that bill??

Thanks for any advice!!!

Cheers,

Charles

Charles-I often arrive in London between 9:00 and 10:00 at night when taking the dayflight from JFK so I'm used to heading out for a middle eastern meal. There are loads of them that serve late, easily up to 10:30. Probably the best place these days is Noura just behind Buckingham Palace. It's posh too, a nice place to take your wife. Can't be more than a 5 minute cab ride from wherever you are staying. If you are staying on the Park Lane side of the park, you can walk over to Shepherd's market. There are three choices there. Al Hamra and Al Sultan which are both Lebanese (and they alternate as to which one is better for some reason,) and Sofra which is Turkish. But if you get in really late for some reason and are going out at say 11:00, Maroush is good and  they have two locations. One on the Edgeware Road which is the main middle eastern shopping street and one on Beauchamp Place which is two blocks west of Harrod's.

Another way to go if you aren't fixed on middle eastern is the Indian restaurant Tamarind. I think it's the best in London (though there will be some dissenters here) and they serve late. It's in Mayfair across from Shepherd's Market. Also a nice place with modern decor. Not a bad wine list either.

Steve, when I first moved to London, the Mayfair Sofra was a regular dining spot for us -- good, reasonable and open late was an unbeatable combination in that area.  Since then, however, we have tried other Sofras around town to disasterous results.  Were we just lucky in Mayfair, or is that location significantly better than the others?

BTW, quite the encyclopedic response to the original post.  Nothing left to add.

Mogsob - Haven't been to any other Sofra location. I left out one of my favorites because I thought it was a little too bare bones for Charles's. Patoug on Crawford Place off the Edgeware Road. It's Persian, which is a little different than your basic middle eastern. But the kebabs are fabulous. Amaizingly cheap too. But a real hole in the wall.

Believe spelt Patogh - but Steve P. is v. accurate and brief (no, not unusual, no, no) just opposite M&S I think. Great Bread & meat & BYO which is a big + for London. Not sure how late - but take express to Paddington & cab round corner.

Wilma squawks no more