• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates in Barcelona

Unfortunately Espai Sucre was closed, but I did manage to get to, taste, buy and bring back chocolate from Oriol Balaguer's Estudi Xocolada and Cacao Sampaka.

Estudi Xocolada is an artisanal producer of exquisitely fine chocolate in a number of varieties. Unlike the other places, it does not serve its chocolate products on site, but we did have an interesting discussion with the pastry chef (not Oriol Balaguer), who offered us samples of chocolates with pop rocks inside. This was some of the most incredible and fun chocolate I have ever eaten. The chocolate was dramy pure dark chocolate, but the pop rocks gave an incredible mouth sensation to go along with the flavor of the chocolate. We bought chocolates and a dessert book (in English) by Balaguer.

Cacao Sampaka is located off the Ramblas Catalunya and has a small cafe in adition to the retail Chocolate shop. They have an incredible array of flavors and styles. I sampled the black truffle, which was amazing. I'll report back as I sample some of the others we came home with.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 5 weeks later...

I wrote a bit about Cacao Sampaka this summer. It was my morning hangout during my four days in Barcelona. The chocolate in general is a terrific value for money, but given the price, it can't compete with the finest French or Belgian chocolates. I believe there are eight boxes of 16 pieces; each box with a theme (Doscsconz can probably name several, but one was chocolatte made from cocoa from various countries; another "avant-garde" with anchovy, among others,etc.). Most memorable, since I shouldn't be eating this stuff in significant quantity, was the sugar-free slabs that come two in a sealed package. I'll stop here since I don't want to steal Docsconz thunder.

As I also wrote, my "dinner" at Espai Sucre was one of the worst in memory.

• 1 month later...

Anchovy chocolate is damn good. They managed to capture its flavor and an appealing dose of salinity without the harsh saltiness and intense fishiness. There were thankfully no fish chunks in the chocolate either. Slightly bitter, creamy, finishes long and savory, quite delectable. Goes quite nicely with their chocolate flavored jasmine tea. Unfortunately I had the stomach flu (I suspect via a bad langoustine at Cal Pep) through most of my stay in Barcelona and couldn't sample more of the places I wanted to. But Cacao Sampaka is definitely worth hitting up while in BCN for breakfast or afternoon choco-tea.

As I also wrote, my "dinner" at Espai Sucre was one of the worst in memory.

Monsieur Robert,

still waiting for the details of that dinner at Espai Sucre :biggrin:

Is the memory so bad that you don't want to relive it?

Ahhh, not trying to bug you, just very curious to read the story.

At your convienence, kind sir...

(and please excuse any misspellings!)

2317/5000

I have been very remiss in not reporting back sooner on my impressions of the chocolates.

My favorites were the "Grandes Origenes" Coleccion no.1 from Cacao Sampaka. This was a diverse selection of chocolates from distinct geographical locations mostly in South America or Africa. The differences between locations was distinct, each showing somewhat different profiles, but all delicious. My favorites were the Brazil. This collection of chocolate was perhaps the finest expression of "plain" chocolate I have ever had the pleasure to experience.

The other collections I sampled from Cacao Sampaka were good and intellectually very interesting, but ultimately less satisfying from a purely hedonistic point of view. They were "Cacaos y Especias" and "Innovaciones Gastronomicas". Of the two, the chocolates and spices were more "successful". It was difficult without a scorecard to determine what the innovations actually were. They were different from other chocolates, but often lacked distinction from each other. The most interesting to me was the "black truffle".

The chocolates from Oriol Balaguer are delicious, creamy and well made. My favorites and that of my family remain the "Coleccion Z" with pop-rocks. They truly combine great flavour with other-worldly texture.

I do think the Grandes Origens of Caco Sampaka are absolutely worth the price (I don't remember what I paid). I have had single origen chocolates from Valrhona, Michel Cluizel and others. The Caco Sampakas are in my opinion even better than those wonderful morsels.

I would also put the Coleccion Z right up there in my pantheon of chocolate experiences.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

• 6 months later...

Here's a link previously posted to his web site in the Pastry forum on eG.

I was just doing a search on Oriol Balaguer and it came up that he was opening this place which is a chocolate studio, I think.

Any info?

why yes tan319!

There is!

I just found it!

Try this web address!

Pretty cool!

http://oriolbalaguer.com/

It's a rather maddening site if you want specific information. There's a mouse rollover that will display the address, but you can't copy and paste it. You have to keep the cursor on the button while you copy the address on a piece of paper. From the web site, you may or may not be able to tell which operations are open. It's an interactive web site. You can click all over it, but it seems to do what it wants to do.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

from http://www.asiacuisine.com.sg/Nacws/2003/7/1208/

Estudio De Chocolate Y Pasteleria

Morales 21-27 Baixos b 08029, Barcelona

Tel: (34) 933 632 298

E-mail: oriolbalaguer@terra.es

http://www.oriolbalaguer.com

I just called their number (8:30pm here in BCN) and there's no answer, not even an answering machine.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Thank you Silly Disciple.

By chance I dropped past last night. They were closed, but i have checked this morning and are now open! Thank you for your help. Looking forward to it.

cheers!

Living to eat or eatingto Live!

I know!

Silly Disciple,

Do you have any other reccommendations for Chocolate or confectionary in BCN.

Have been to Xocoa and Cacoa Sapaka. Any other top´s would be appreciated.

cheers! :biggrin:

I know!

Oriol Balaguer was fantastic!

My visit to Oriol Balaguer was very tasty and I Managed to buy 80€ worth of goodies. Oriol himslef was there, rushing about looking quite focussed and busy.

The studio at :

Is not the easiest to find, but is worth the trip. Ring in advance to make sure they are open as I went twice as the 1st time it had shut early. Suggest moring @ 12.00 as kitchen would be likely to be operating. They shut for siesta and reopen at 4.30 to approx 7?

The entrance requires a ring of the bell and then the door to this amazing workship swings open to an aladdins cave of tasty delights.

If you smile nicely and confirm you are going to buy, they may give you an opportunity to sample some items. I persoanlly had a great tasting experience which included - pop rocks, truffles, the Nippon collection (Soy, wasabe and tea) some selected bonbons and prailene samples.

Also managed to try some experimental products still in testing mode, very different!!

In all well worth the visit, dont expect a shop front, its the front room of the workshop! :smile:

I know!

Silly Disciple,

Do you have any other reccommendations for Chocolate or confectionary in BCN.

Have been to Xocoa and Cacoa Sapaka. Any other top´s would be appreciated.

cheers! :biggrin:

Unlike other people in this forum I haven't been terribly impressed by either Xocoa or Cacao Sampaka. The latter, while imaginative in theory, fails to deliver the punch you would expect from such ideas. I've tried a fair variety of their products, and nothing has blown my mind yet.

Regarding other places, I've recently found these two which I think are fairly interesting and worth a visit:

E&A Gispert is a 150-year-old shop which sells dried fruit and toasted nuts (dried and toasted on premises). The place has a lovely, cozy ambiance and delicious treats:

E&A Gispert - Mestres Torradors

Sombrerers 23 - Barcelona

www.casagispert.com

the second one is a more traditional pastry shop which sells cava and traditional (I think) local pastries:

Pasteleria Brunells

Princesa 22 c/Montcada

They are both located in the Jaume I area, going towards Barceloneta.

Enjoy! (and let me know your opinion if you do go).

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

• 3 weeks later...
Oriol Balaguer was fantastic!

My visit to Oriol Balaguer was very tasty and I Managed to buy 80€ worth of goodies. Oriol himslef was there, rushing about looking quite focussed and busy.

The studio at :

Is not the easiest to find, but is worth the trip. Ring in advance to make sure they are open as I went twice as the 1st time it had shut early. Suggest moring @ 12.00 as kitchen would be likely to be operating. They shut for siesta and reopen at 4.30 to approx 7?

The entrance requires a ring of the bell and then the door to this amazing workship swings open to an aladdins cave of tasty delights.

If you smile nicely and confirm you are going to buy, they may give you an opportunity to sample some items. I persoanlly had a great tasting experience which included - pop rocks, truffles, the Nippon collection (Soy, wasabe and tea) some selected bonbons and prailene samples.

Also managed to try some experimental products still in testing mode, very different!!

In all well worth the visit, dont expect a shop front, its the front room of the workshop! :smile:

MAN!

I haven't been hanging out enough in the Spain forum lately.

Can you post about the experiments you tried?

Would love to read about them!

BTW, it seems Balaguers web address is down at the moment, at least as of yesterday.

Cocoa Sampaka weirds out a bit too.

If you have a chance, would love to hear more.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Ted

2317/5000

Here are a couple of images from my visit to balaguer last summer. i apologize that they are a bit short on substance, nevertheless the first might prove useful to someone looking for the place and the second is an example of the colorful design to go along with the amazing chocolates.

i9348.jpg

Me with the pastry chef on duty at the time.

i9349.jpg

A colorful array of candy boxes set up in the anteroom.

Twitter - @docsconz

'doc?

THANK YOU!!!

Great pic's, love them.

Greedy guy that I am, do you have any more?

Thanks again, improved a hot lousy day in the cooking for $'s world!

Ted

2317/5000

Greedy guy that I am, do you have any more?

Sorry! I would have posted more if I had them, especially internal shots.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 7 months later...

Hello all,

I know this ahs been a post in the past. I am currently working for a chocolate shoppe in Kansas city and am going to Barcelona will be there Mon Mar 7 and I am looking for places to visit to learn more and do research. I will be going by myself and will be staying at the Barcelo Hotel Sants (very convient to the train station) this is my first time in Spain. I of course know of a few places from reading here and also in Bon appetit. I know Oriol Balanguer has a place and Enric Rovira, and Cacao Sampaka. Looking for few more places to visit. I also will need to eat obviously. I want to eat in one really good resturant maybe two. BTW I will be there until Sat morn. Any and all suggustions are helpful. Thank you in advance for all of your help.

There are some comments about Barcelona in the Chocolate in Madrid thread. In that thread, I said "Barcelona, I understand, was home to the first chocolate factory in Europe (1780)." I'm not at all convinced that information is correct, but I'll repeat it and the link here for your interest and alert you to Vistor's post in that thread.

In the groceries in Barcelona thread, Sabrosa mentions an out door market with very pure arisanal chocolate (Xocolata Vall d'Or) made by a collective in deepest darkest Catalunya .

You may have already run across these posts, but I thought I'd note them just in case.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Barcelona is fabulous and you will eat very well there, but you really should head out of town for a day to visit any or all of Can Fabes, Can Roca and Sant Pau. In Barcelona I can personally recommend Abac, Alkimia and Cinc Sentits. There are obviously many other possibilities as well. Balaguer and Cacao Sampaka are both wonderful. I haven't been able to get to Espai Sucre myself yet.

Twitter - @docsconz

Barcelo Hotel Sants is very convenient to the Sants train station, but the train station itself is not all that convenient to the center of town and I recall that many trains, the train from the airport and the train north to the Languedoc and Roussillon area in France also stop at the pl. de Catalunya in the heart of town. I don't know about the long distance AVE. I once stayed at the Barcelo Sants precisely because of its proximity to the station and discovered it was not the advantage I thought it was, even for a one night stay on my way from the airport to Beziers in France.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Thanks for all the help so far. Its unfortunate news about the hotel ah well you live you learn. I did send off an email to Oriol Balaguer, I would just be happy to show him what we do and tour his shop and bounce ideas off of him. I do have a growing list of resturants and shops. It looks like I will be busy. I just found out today that I will not be leaving Barcelona until 2030 on Sat because it is the only train going to Milan that day. Its actually good it gives me one more day to play with and may go to Girona. Well again thanks for all your help!

Barcelo Hotel Sants is very convenient to the Sants train station, but the train station itself is not all that convenient to the center of town and I recall that many trains, the train from the airport and the train north to the Languedoc and Roussillon area in France also stop at the pl. de Catalunya in the heart of town. I don't know about the long distance AVE. I once stayed at the Barcelo Sants precisely because of its proximity to the station and discovered it was not the advantage I thought it was, even for a one night stay on my way from the airport to Beziers in France.

Bux-

I'm a little confused. Can you please elaborate on your comments? I was thinking about tstaying there for the very reason that the train station is close by. Is destination train station not that close to Placa De Catalonya or town center?

Thanks,

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog