• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salsa

SushiCat

We eat our salsa fresh, purchased from our local green grocer. It is delicious :wub: and available in several forms at Eat West Market on Main just south of King Ed, we are partial to the green salsa there.

However I am in need of some jars of salsa, sealed for travel and longevity. Can anyone suggest anything decent that is available here in our fair city?

They have a small selection of salsas in a jar at Parthenon. But I haven't tried any of them.

There is also the local salsa in a jar manufacturer Que Pasa located down in Richmond (and available at many outlets) but I haven't tried their salsa verde either. Overall I find many of their salsa to be a bit bland. But I'm not sure where your taste preference is.

Cheers!

They have a small selection of salsas in a jar at Parthenon.  But I haven't tried any of them. 

There is also the local salsa in a jar manufacturer Que Pasa located down in Richmond (and available at many outlets) but I haven't tried their salsa verde either.  Overall I find many of their salsa to be a bit bland.  But I'm not sure where your taste preference is. 

Cheers!

Thanks for playing! What nobody out there eats salsa from a jar? I'll get some bland Que Pasa - the recipients are in Germany and say there is nothing worth buying there and they are desperate, so I guess something is better than nothing.

Thanks Vancouver, if you are a salsa eater, try the green salsa at East West - YUM!

You might try the small cans of El Pato. They do two that I like, the salsa de chile fresco and the salsa verde. Mild to good heat hits to them. You can always zing it up by adding some chopped serranos.

The 220gram cans would be easier to transport than jars. Check El Sureno on Commercial and 2nd for the product and any other products they carry.

Shelora

I know this is verging on off-topic, but the best salsa I every had was a fresh salsa sold in the Palm Springs Costco. Ever since this experience I can no longer even attempt the canned/jarred stuff. There really is no comparison to the vibrant flavour of a good fresh salsa. It literally dances in your mouth.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled program. (apologies for the OT interruption).

Cheers,

Karole

I've shipped Herdez salsas to friends in other countries. Don't know if they're available where you are, but they come jarred and canned. I particularly like the salsa casera, and the salsa verde. The small cans travel well. They are excellent products.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I usually get the Thick and Chunky Medium from Pace. Their non-chunky is way too runny for my taste, but I like the Chunky one.

It doesn't compare to fresh, but I like it the best of the jar ones I've tried.

That's the one with the ad with the cows saying NOO York CITY! :raz:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

You can buy La Costena (sp?) brand in cans at the Apple Farm Market on West 4th... just saw it there tonight. Never tried it so I can't tell you what it tastes like.

Also, Capers (on W 4th) has quite a decent selection of salsa in jars. Not sure if it's authentic enough but the variety is there :smile:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I'm partial to the Muir Glen salsas for commercially jarred stuff... lots of garlic and cilantro. :wub:

I believe they're available at Save-On-Foods, Capers and Choices.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Oh, thanks all! It pays to be offline for a spell and come into find so many messages. I'll go out on an expedition and get as much as I can carry. Cans are good - thanks for that info. on Herdez, never tried those before or El Pato. Since I can live on fresh, it will be a fun experiment to bring some canned and jarred - need to leave room for my homemade jam, so happy to be able to find some cans.

The transplanted north american vegetarians, appreciate all the advice in northern Germany :biggrin:

happy dipping

Cans are good - thanks for that info. on Herdez, never tried those before...

Herdez products are very popular with Mexicans. If you have a section of town with stores that cater to them, I'd be quite surprised if they don't carry Herdez jarred and canned salsas and chiles.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Trust Lady Jaymes about Herdez. They are good basic salsas, taste good, add a genuine touch. Next in order would be Clemente Jacques, La Costena then El Pato. To my tastes, the last two have too much of a cannish aftertaste. But if you are stuck--say up in a elk-hunting camp with no stores, then they would suffice.Herdez Rocks.

Trust Lady Jaymes about Herdez. They are good basic salsas, taste good, add a genuine touch. Next in order would be Clemente Jacques, La Costena then El Pato. To my tastes, the last two have too much of a cannish aftertaste. But if you are stuck--say up in a elk-hunting camp with no stores, then they would suffice. Herdez Rocks.

Thanks Miss Mabel. I appreciate the vote of confidence. :rolleyes:

Here's the website: HERDEZ.COM. In addition to listing products, etc., there are some great recipes -- Cream of Poblano Soup, for one.

Edited by Jaymes (log)