• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Sushi in/near Herndon?

bobby29

I will be in Herndon for work all week by myself. Looking for some good Sushi. I'd be willing to drive like 10 minutes from my luxurious Holiday Inn Express on Elden St. Any recommendations for a bar with above-average food in the same area would also be helpful.

Edited by bobby29 (log)

I will be in Herndon for work all week by myself.  Looking for some good Sushi.  I'd be willing to drive like 10 minutes from my luxurious Holiday Inn Express on Elden St.  Any recommendations for a bar with above-average food in the same area would also be helpful.

Check out Makako (I think that's how you spell it) in the shopping center at McClaren and Centerville Rds. I've been three or four times and evrytime was really good. As far as good bar food goes, you're pretty close to Reston Town Center. They have a wide selection of tried and true establishments.

I highly recommend Yoko for sushi:

332 Elden St., Herndon, VA

Review:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?n...ype=restaurants

I agree with Horseplay that Mikaku is excellent, but to me it's a toss-up between them and Yoko, and Yoko is much closer to your hotel. Regardless of which one you choose, don't be put off by the strip mall locations -- you will be pleased with what you find inside.

In addition to Yoko (at Yoko, try the grilled yellowtail jaw), there is Matsuri, 150 Elden St., in the same plaza as the Outback.

Matsuri is a sushi and sake bar. They also do a $10.95 lunch buffet which is of reasonably high quality. We've been going to Matsuri a lot lately in preference to Yoko because Matsuri has been successful in wooing our 5 year-old. They offer a kid's sushi platter, all cooked.

Yoko's tempura is better than Matsuri's. Both have competently executed sushi.

For the bar with above-average food, you could hit McCormick & Schmick's happy hour. M&S is in the Reston Town Center. It's more a restaurant than bar, but it does have a bar area and the seafood is fresh and good.

I'd avoid American Tap Room. The food didn't inspire us to return, ever. It wasn't bad, just boring.

There are at least 5 sushi bars within 10-12 minite of your location but the 2 closest by far are Yoko and Matsuri (addresses in the above post). The other two not mentioned off the top of my head are Hama (in the Clocktower) and Obi (in Reston Town Center). We rotate among the 5.

For the closest and best, I'd give the edge to Matsuri. Yoko has its fans, but Matsuri is pretty good and serves a decent sukiyaki too (which is pretty rare on menus these days).

Edit: "above-average bar food" is somewhat an oxymoron to me. For local Herndon ambiance, I might suggest Jimmy's in Old Town Herndon, Car Pool or Hard Times Cafe (all on Elden St).

Edited by bbq4meanytime (log)

When I worked in Herndon, I used to go to Hama quite often. They had a roll called the Hama Special which is one of the best sushis I have ever had. It is made with crab salad (using real crab), avacado, and then broiled and served with a chili mayo. Does not sound nearly as good as it tasted. Some former co-workers have told me that it is not as good as it once was.

Hama has more exotic stuff (white toro, orange clam, live scallop, bluefin etc etc) than the others, and I find the sushi chefs to be more engaging. Their rice can be a bit sweet at times, which is annoying, but I take much of my meals there as sashimi.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.