• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Venison ... dearest

marinade

It's tempting to pick up a nice piece of kangaroo.  First I gotta find a good recipe-- braised in Foster's, no doubt.

How about braised in Victory Hop Devil?

Sounds good, I'm game... uh better strike that. Bad choice of words. Thanks for the Wells rec. I only need a few pounds of it to run out some jerky. Isn't there someone in Bucks County who dresses venison and actually sells it? Outside of D'Angelo Bros and online/mail-order, not much around.

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

When I went to saul hs. in the 90's there was a class for meatcutting and we would dress deer for people who brought it in.even make sausage ,they didnt charge but kept some of the end product ,and I am pretty sure they sold that or gave it away .You might want to call and see if they still do that.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

No kidding.  I'd assumed that it would be tough, gamy, et cetera.  You know, what with all the hopping and so on.  What does the steak taste like?

Kangaroo restaurant is Aqua Terra on Main Street in Annapolis, MD. It's been a couple of years, but I remember it as more beefy tasting than anything, maybe a touch gamy, but I like gamy. Had texture, but not tough, I like that too as opposed to mushy tenderloin. Don't know if the cut I had came from the hopper or not.