• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Malawry - 34 hungry college girls

Malawry

Whew! ...I feel exhausted...

Great blog Rochelle; I feel I've been scrubbing the grill grates and whipping up salad bar ingredients right next to you all week! Thank you for your insights and reflections on your job at the sorority. The Dinner with your parents was most welcome, too.

On Soba's recommendation, I started reading the very first few blogs (Fat Guy, Sam, Maggie...) and boy have we come a long way. Reading them easily shows the genesis of eGullet as a whole. Our weekly foodblog is one of the Society's finest features.

Thanks again, Rochelle! :smile:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I'm in awe. You turn out an incredible amount of food, make stuff for them from scratch, do your own cleaning, work brutal hours, have time for a husband and racquetball, and look about 18! I bow to you.

I haven't commented on my dining experiences in college, but the fact is, the food at SUNY at Purchase was dismal, and I was delighted when I got into the Old Apartments on campus and was able to cook my own food. In our anti-establishment university, there were no fraternities or sororities, and even the Roman Catholic Mass was almost cancelled for lack of sufficient participation. But if I could have regularly had food as good as you prepare made for me, even someone as dismissive of fraternities as I might have considered joining one, providing the members were actually reasonable people and there was no sick hazing ritual. :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm impressed that you cook all week, and then come home and cook some more!

And thanks for the very interesting view of life on (or off, rather) a U.S. college campus. I always wondered what the big deal about fraternities and sororities was! (But one niggling question remains: if a fraternity is a "frat", does that make a sorority a "sot"?...)

I'm "quacking" up at the brand-name on one of your ducks ("Quack on a Rack"?!? :laugh: )

(As one can surmise from my handle, I do have a thing for ducks ... including what I guess could be called figurative "cannibalism"... :biggrin: )

Many thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to blog in such detail!

Rochelle, thanks for the great trip this week! All I can say is...Wow, well done!

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

Malawry,

While the girls might not appreciate it now, you are giving them a gift that will last them the rest of their lives, if they choose to use it....the ability to recognize good food that has been carefully and lovingly prepared.

Great blog!

Fou

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

All I can think to say is WOW! The girls you cook for are really lucky to have you. I moved off campus immediately after my freshman year of college, mostly because the food was so atrocious. These chicks have it MADE.

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."