• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Competitions in Western Canada (merged)

chef koo

i sent my entry form last week and i'm pretty interested. i've never been in a food competition before. to be honest i've always been turned off by the whole idea and i still am. the idea that someone who doesn't understand me and my expresion through my food stuffs is expected to judge me and tell me how much more salt i need to put in, always has and always will bother me. i do'nt care if my food is liked or disliked. as long as i'm happy with the product. if i win and i feel my food was horrible compared to the way i see it i won't be happy. i'll feel they judged me for reasons not expressed in my food. so why am i doing this? well the cheque for $500 was pretty tempting. so is anyone else from here entering? it'd be cool to go. get to cook some food. get a free pass to the food expo which i believe is at gm place this year (i could be wrong).

bork bork bork

well the deadline for entry was 2 days ago. only working chefs are permitted to enter. it's a black box competition. the prize is a set of chine from a company i can't remeber, an espesso machine, and the cheque for $500

bork bork bork

• 1 month later...

Black box competitions are fun – well from me that is. I take it like I cook at my parent’s house when I get unexpectedly asked to “cook” dinner. You know not that I mind but it’s usually that night before I officially said that I was going to make dinner. So I go to the frig and see what they got and little of this and a little that. Or the other way they (parents) do it is (when I visit) they say “oh we got this at the store – what do you think we can do with it” translated to “what are you going to do with it”.

So I treat it like a competition – 20 mins to think of menu, 3 hours to make it and 10 mins to plate it. My parents have the normal stocked kitchen, except every once in a while they are out of balsamic or the garlic they said they had isn’t garlic anymore but more of a sprouting root. Most times we got it all there but occasionally you’ve got to ask “dad” to run to the store to pick up something. Of course while he’s out, mom says get more wine and then my sister pipes up and says “make it a merlot” – ok off topic.

Black box is fun, true you’ve got someone who doesn’t know you from Adam but in this world of business competition – it’s a chance to measure yourself against your peers. Look at this way, what do you have to lose except your pride? Better then making it a special and no one buying it…

So what did happen? Who won? Got URL?

Jason

Edited by BonfireCuisine (log)

• 9 months later...

Quady Dessert Competition, Fetzer Great Beginnings, as well as the Junior Chefs Assoc. Hot Competition at BC Place http://207.81.157.54/bcchefs/comingevents.html

Should be a few apprentice competitions coming as well, Karl Schier, Knorr Apprentice of the Year, chaine des rotisseries commis

Always lots happening, although deffinetly not as much as when I did my apprenticeship in the late 80's, its tough to justify the time as an employer to let your staff do these competitions.

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef

Always lots happening, although deffinetly not as much as when I did my apprenticeship in the late 80's, its tough to justify the time as an employer to let your staff do these competitions.

Colin

Colin,

Not that I know anything about the subject at hand, but I would think that a restaurant would gain some exposure/publicity, if their chefs competed. Especially if they placed well.

By the way, just looked at your website and I like the looks of your restaurant's interior. Very appealing.

S

Shelora, yeah lots of exposure but to mostly a group of people that already know you exist-other chefs. There are definetly some great competitions that do give a degree of exposure, i.e. The Black Box comp at the Eat Vancouver show, but quite a few others are during industry events (BCFRA @ BC Place). I've had the opportunity to compete in 2 Cold Salons that were held in malls(1 in Victoria a number of years ago) which allowed chefs to showcase to the general public, but unfortunetly the cold shows are becoming rare, less than 35 entrants at the last one in Vancouver.

The amount of time and cost required disuades a lot of chefs now a days from competing, I have to ask myself if I can afford to take 3 or 4 days off to do a competition, not to mention the weeks of planning and practicing that go along with it.

Thanks for the compliment, I think we have one of the most unique rooms on the Island.

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef

The Quady Dessert Competition this year is being held once again at the North West Culinary Academy of Vancouver - thanks to them for hosting!

As mentioned above, it's for all levels of chefs and cooks. This year we have changed the categories and instead of 1st, 2nd, etc. there will be gold, silver and bronze as well as 1st Place overall. This way recognition will be given to those presenting excellent desserts at each levels.

The top 10 scores will have their desserts served at the Trade Day Luncheon at the Wine Festival - 510 industry guests, lots of exposure for those who make it to the top 10. First prize is a 4 day pack horse fly fishing trip to the High Sierra - all winners have loved it! Great time away from the kitchen.

The competition is in it's 18th year and the quality of the desserts is astounding. So professional, tasty and beautiful.

Entry forms are available at on the front page. Click the label of Essensia. Print and fax your entry in. Deadline Feb. 10th, 5pm. Photos are viewable there, too. Tell your fav pastry chef or cook to join in. I know that it's tight for time, but the feedback session with the judges afterward is great and competitors get to meet some of the other pastry cooks, too.

There is limited viewing at NWCA for guests, but there is always a bit of room to squeeze in a few keeners. Let me know if you would like to come and we'll see what space there is. It will run 2 days - Saturday and Sunday, Feb 26/27, noon to 5ish.