• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Ice Cream in NYC

AppleBrownBetty

Has anyone else tried the new place on E. 10th - Sundaes and Cones I think it's called. Big, kind of pretty place, really awful ice cream. Only my 6yo ate hers -- acceptable lemon sorbet (with rainbow sprinkles -- not their fault, of course.)

In the best department, I, too, regretfully vote for Capogiro over Laboratorio, which I find too subtle. We buy C. at Balducci's on 14th. Baccio is a family favorite but I'm obsessed with Lemon Yogurt -- it's got a meringue-like addictiveness -- a fluffy, zingy sugar taste along with the floral lemoniness. What ever happened with their plans to open in NYC -- anyone know?

Il Laboratorio is fine, but Capogiro is leagues beyond in terms of quality (and originality). This shouldn't even be open to debate. Mind you I am speaking for 'fresh' Capogiro as one would find at the two shops in Philly. I've never had the packaged product. Their gelatos and sorbettos have better depth of flavor and a richer, smoother more pleasing texture than anything at Il Lab. Besides, they lay claim to my favorite ice cream of all time: goats' milk with rosemary and honey. The best.

The GF and I were just discussing the state of ice cream in NYC. Why are there no good soft-serve spots in the city? Like the kind that are in every hood upstate, with decent, middle-of-the road soft serve, chocolate, vanilla, or swirl, and black raspberry, often swirled with another flavor as well... Our theory is that Mr. Softee and Tasti-D-Lite (both horrible and not in any way related to real ice cream in my opinion) have the market cornered on this front. What do you think? Where can I get soft-serve Black Raspberry ICE CREAM (not yogurt or whatever the hell Tasti-D-Lite is)???

It's not exactly what you're talking about, but don't forget the concretes at Shake Shack.

There also used to be an excellent soft-serve place on Eighth Street (I forget the name). But of course it was too good to last.

I think the market here just doesn't understand soft serve.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

There also used to be an excellent soft-serve place on Eighth Street (I forget the name).  But of course it was too good to last.

That was Custard Beach. They also opened for a brief time downstairs in GCT. I used to love their vanilla custard.

Has anyone else tried the new place on E. 10th - Sundaes and Cones I think it's called.  Big, kind of pretty place, really awful ice cream.

We gave it a try on Sunday night and it was terrible. The inside of the shop had a really nasty smell as well.

Edited by adrman (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Tried the gelati at Tempo Presto the other night (why I haven't done so before shall remain one of the mysteries of the universe). We shared three flavors - the pistachio, the nutella and the Cafe du Monde. My companions and I each agreed that the Cafe du Monde reigned supreme (although if I'd been served either of the other two without a comparison, I'd have been thrilled with my choice). Good stuff.

Edited by H. du Bois (log)