• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Working on new portioning for sales

Wendy DeBord

So maybe you can keep 'The Dessert Teaser' as is, then follow that with a 'Teaser Trio' which is any three of their choosing and then maybe a 'Grand Teaser' which offers all the desserts (

Ohhhh I'm diggin that idea, Thanks! It could be extended into selling a "dessert sampler plate" too.

My people wouldn't understand something decribed as a "Flight".........

I have 6 desserts on my menu plus frozen items.

"But what I want is something wonderful and sweet to end a lovely meal, not something I'm going to have to atone for."..........That's exactly what I'm doing, a one or two bite sized teaser for $1.00 each. Many people who don't order dessert in a restaurant go home and nibble on something sweet, I do all the time. I still think 99.99% sales (see I compromised) is a reasonable target for a one fork full teaser.

I've started collecting some recipes from Cooking Light......although I haven't baked any yet. Did you ever do any baking from them so you could reccomend a recipe or two?

Ohhhh I'm diggin that idea, Thanks! It could be extended into selling a "dessert sampler plate" too.

That's a great idea. We used to sell lots of sampler platters... to people who always said "oh, I couldn't!"

Are you making special desserts for these teasers or are they just smaller portions of desserts you're already doing?

I'm with Josette on the MasterCook - it's a great product for many things, and its nutritional analyses are quite accurate.

I'm with Kevin on the Whey Low - it's also a great product, and works fantastically well in baking with no weird taste or texture.

And I'm with jgm on the upselling of desserts. I detest it when servers do that.

Did you ever do any baking from them so you could reccomend a recipe or two?

Wendy, it's been so long since I used one of their baking recipes that I can't remember which ones I liked. My palate has also changed in the last few years so that what I might have liked or found acceptable then I might not now. With that in mind, I hesitate to recommend any specific recipe except to suggest that you try one of two to see what you think.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I love the dessert sampler idea. To weigh in on the low calorie desserts:

I made Pierre Herme's Chocolate Mousse using splenda and skim milk for a friend who has some eating issues, and it was great. My friend loved it and was amazed that it had so few calories.

When I want something light I make apricot souffles. They are basically dried apricot and sugar (cooked and pureed) with egg whites. Whisper light but very flavorful and goes well with a nice liquer-based sauce.

From Cooking Light:

I love their Chocolate Pudding Cake Recipe. It is the homey, cake on top, pudding on the bottom type thing. It is very sweet, but one of the reasons I like it is that it is easy to make and satisfying (with some ice cream).

I have made several other things from them but none stick out as favorites. I did enjoy a blueberry-cornmeal cake and their lemonade layer cake.

Hope this helps.

M. Lucia could you post that chocolate cake/pudding recipe please? I'd like to try it. I've been so swamped at work that I haven't been able to do the "light" thing justice.

The teasers are portions from what's already on my dessert menu.