• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomahawk Bacon

canucklehead

Hey

I had my first Tomahawk breakfast and it came with the most incredible bacon - at it was some thing that I had not seen before. I was round and smokey - thin and crispy. I thought that it was a kind of Pancetta - but when I asked the waitress she said it was a type of back bacon that they get whole and sliced very thinly on site. "If you want more - you need to come back". It did not look like back bacon to me - it seemed too fatty to be back bacon. All I needed was some maple syrup to dip them in and you could have shot me dead right then and there.

Has anyone had their bacon and is it simply back bacon cut super thin? It is very very good.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

All I needed was some maple syrup to dip them in and you could have shot me dead right then and there.

Don't you just love these kind of food experiences when something is just so damn good you could die a happy camper on the spot. :biggrin:

Sadly, I have not tasted tomahawk bacon myself (yet) so will also wait to hear what others have to say..

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Mmmm. Yukon bacon. Served up in massive quantites at one of our favourite kitschy breakfast places. Ian remembers dining at the Tomahawk with his parents as a kid, staring up at the First Nations artifacts staring down at him, so our meals there with Noah are always tinged with a bit of nostalgia. Makes the bacon taste that much better.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Sitting at the counter, memories of Chick Chamberlain (circa 1926)...

I have always assumed with the long history of the Tomahawk that the bacon was a throw-back to a cultural delicacy of the Chamberlain family. I suspect they have some Gaelic roots, with Yukon Style Bacon looking suspiciously like Irish Bacon.

lpi004.gif

Léigh Cogain Comhrá

Chef/Owner/Teacher

That looks like what is called in Kentucky, "country ham bacon". It isn't really bacon at all, but cured smoked ham , thinly sliced. http://www.keeneshams.net/products/bacon.htm

I Googled for that link, I don't know if they ship to Canada.

OH MY GOD! I just went to this site, it is a shrine of all things pork...(off topic, why is the pig laughing while sitting amongst its dead, cured relatives?

bacon-inside.jpg

Chef/Owner/Teacher

OH MY GOD! I just went to this site, it is a shrine of all things pork...(off topic, why is the pig laughing while sitting amongst its dead, cured relatives?

I thought he was screaming in pain after having lost a relative.

Hm....

I'm a fan of this stuff, too. You can find me at the counter at the 'mohawk on most Sunday mornings.

I always thought that their bacon was cured and smoked rolled pork butt, but that 'country ham bacon' in the link above sure looks like the right thing.

Notice that the 'mohawk only frys it on one side?

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Hm....

I would'nt mind losing a cousin or two if they tasted like yukon bacon.

Hm....

I would'nt mind losing a cousin or two if they tasted like yukon bacon.

:laugh:

The Tomohawk serves up some great hangover remedies. Best bacon ever!

I was in there one morning when I saw a biker-type (Harley not Rocky Mountain) order the "Mixed Grill" (see Vancouver's website link above). Didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or ready the defibrillator...