• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet Lucy's new sweet digs.

marinade

Sweet Lucy's was VERY busy this evening. The food was excellent--pulled chicken, ribs, brisket, baked beans, garlic mashed, potato salad, cole slaw, cornbread.

Does anyone know if you can BYOB there??

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Nice review in The Weekly, even giving some passing props to eGullet and Chowhound for pointing her that way.

From the Philly Weekly Review:

by the I-can't-go-to-bed-until-I-post-every-intimate-detail-of-each-bite impassioned eGulleteers and Chowhounds

Not sure I'd call that "props." More a "journalist's" simplistic, cliche putdown of a medium she doesn't get. There is more Philadelphia food news reported on eGullet in a day than in the Weekly in a month.

Wonder if Lauren McCutcheon has been following any of the other PA Forum threads?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

by the I-can't-go-to-bed-until-I-post-every-intimate-detail-of-each-bite impassioned eGulleteers and Chowhounds

Not sure I'd call that "props." More a "journalist's" simplistic, cliche putdown of a medium she doesn't get.

I read that as light teasing and an actual "getting-it" acknowledgment that the web folks are out front on a lot of things like this. But it's certainly open to interpretation.

Of course you're right that there's loads more info here than in the papers, but they're still reaching a lot of people that never stop by eGullet.

As for the relative "journalistic" merit of the various media and their contributors, well, that's fertile ground for debate!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Tonight after a traumatic mall experience (trauma being standard operating mall procedure for me) I calmed my nerves with dinner at Sweet Lucy's. Still impressive, and the price is right: two sandwiches (one pork, one brisket), extra sides of green beans and potato salad, and two ice teas (their ice tea is pretty good, by the way) came to a little less than twenty bones. Not bad. I prefer the brisket to the pork and the beans to the potatoes, but it's still the best BBQ in the city.

Only downside was that it was mobbed: not difficult to get a table, but there was a long wait for food. Worth the wait, though, and I certainly wish them all the success in the world.

• 4 weeks later...

Another satisfied Sweet Lucy customer here!! :biggrin:

We've been driving by this place since the day they parked their trailer curbside but we didn't manage to get our butts over there until today.

Great food - the pork sandwich is almost perfect (I say almost as nothing is ever perfect) and the beans and coleslaw met with our approval.

The only downside was the wait, but, I'm sure this is just a sign of growing pains as is evident by their extraordiary growth rate.

I wish them all the luck and I think it's safe to say that we're sure to become regulars!! :smile:

--Dave M.--

• 4 weeks later...

had a terrific lunch today - pulled pork sandwich w/ coleslaw and baked beans, also a couple of the smoked wings.

I have had the wings twice at The Smoked Joint, and each time they have been rubbery. It is difficult to pull them apart, and the skin is near inedible. The wings at Sweet Lucy's, smaller than TSJ, were great. The wing tips were among the best I have tasted (a true guilty pleasure).