• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Deli Food

sadistick

I am very picky when it comes to eating, and I have made it my goal over the years to find the best deli, you know, pastrami, corned beef, montreal smoked meat sandwiches...and well....I HAVE!

Zuppas

Peter and Adelaid (I Believe)

Oh, my, lord......melt in your mouth, juicey, moist, AMAZING deli sandwiches...

If you love deli, and havent been....GO......NOW!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Great! Any thoughts on the best place to buy antipasti when you don't have time to do it yourself?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Any specific types you looking for?

What comes to mind first are 2 italian grocery stores, both within reasonably small distances. First off is Grande Cheese, which is a 100% italian "supermarket" its on Orfus Road, right off of ...dufferin.

The second is south of lawrence on Dufferin - Lady York Foods which is on the east side about 3 blocks south of lawrence...I dont know, just a guess...

Oh, if you want to go in to amazing places to buy food from, give me some, heres one more of mine...

City Fish

SAME Plaza as Lady York - (directions above) - - These guys supply some of the better restaraunts in TO, and have great FRESH whole fishes, or they will filet for you (dont know why :raz:

Cheers

-Justin

edit* Jake, I love the 2 Goldens and the G.ShepparD(?)

Edited by sadistick (log)

Any specific types you looking for?

What comes to mind first are 2 italian grocery stores, both within reasonably small distances.  First off is Grande Cheese, which is a 100% italian "supermarket" its on Orfus Road, right off of ...dufferin.

The second is south of lawrence on Dufferin - Lady York Foods which is on the east side about 3 blocks south of lawrence...I dont know, just a guess...

Oh, if you want to go in to amazing places to buy food from, give me some, heres one more of mine...

City Fish

SAME Plaza as Lady York - (directions above) - - These guys supply some of the better restaraunts in TO, and have great FRESH whole fishes, or they will filet for you (dont know why  :raz:

Cheers

-Justin

edit* Jake, I love the 2 Goldens and the G.ShepparD(?)

Thanks for the antipasti rec's. I often make my own (grilled zucchini, eggplant etc.) and have a great supplier for 24 month parma proscuitto, but I have to take a platter to a dinner tomorrow and just wont have the time. As you can imagine it is NOT something I'd purchase at a supermarket. I thought I'd heard about a place on St. Clair west, but the brain is mush today.

I'll definitely keep Lady York in mind and probably try it. I, too, love City Fish. Great product, great staff. Haven't been in ages and I obviously didn't pay too close attention to the plaza.

Is Zuppa's real Montreal smoked meat? Best Montreal smoked meat I've had outside of Montreal itself is Centre Street Deli in Thornhill -- but it's still not Schwartz's.

Thanks for the comment about the dogs. They are indeed 2 Goldens (6 1/2 yrs and 3 yrs) and a German Shep. (almost 10). The youngest golden is currently eyeing my cheese plate. :shock:

Other great food shops: Cheese Boutique and Alex Farms for all things cheese, T & T Supermarket for many things Asian, and if you like Louisianna food I could be persuaded to give up my recent find (hint: they sell andouille!)

Mmm andouille! Tell tell!!!

Grande cheese is not so much a CHEESE store, as it is a pure italian 'supermarket'

And if you enjoy proscuitto, I do recommend grande cheese, as it has a large selection of different proscuitto's, and they will let you taste before you buy!!!

I do believe it is real montreal smoked meat, however, I usually will get their pastrami, as it just melts in your mouth!!!

I remember my grandparents old golden loved to eat cheese too...better yet, she LOVED peanut butter!

Hahaha.

Cheers,

-Justin

Mmm andouille!  Tell tell!!!

Grande cheese is not so much a CHEESE store, as it is a pure italian 'supermarket'

And if you enjoy proscuitto, I do recommend grande cheese, as it has a large selection of different proscuitto's, and they will let you taste before you buy!!!

I do believe it is real montreal smoked meat, however, I usually will get their pastrami, as it just melts in your mouth!!!

I remember my grandparents old golden loved to eat cheese too...better yet, she LOVED peanut butter!

Hahaha.

Cheers,

-Justin

I actually prefer Centre Street to Schwartz's which I find too dry sometimes. For Corned Beef in Toronto, I still like Pancer's. My father likes the deli across from the Lawrence Plaza on the East side of Bathurst, Cooper's maybe?. I actually prefer the taste and texture of corned beef and pastrami to Montreal Smoked (the whole Toronto Jew vs. Montreal Jew thing I guess). There are fewer and fewer authentic deli's in T.O. these days.

A real deli must also sell chopped liver, Knishes and Kishke, in my point of view.

Mark

Edited by Librarian_chef (log)

I live not far from Pancers, and I must say Mark...Go....To....Zuppas!

I can almost guarantee you will like it better...Everyone whom I have taken there was amazed at how juicey and tastey their meat is.

Let me know if you do decide to try it out

-Justin

Mmm andouille!  Tell tell!!!

Hahaha.

Cheers,

-Justin

I actually prefer Centre Street to Schwartz's which I find too dry sometimes. For Corned Beef in Toronto, I still like Pancer's. My father likes the deli across from the Lawrence Plaza on the East side of Bathurst, Cooper's maybe?. I actually prefer the taste and texture of corned beef and pastrami to Montreal Smoked (the whole Toronto Jew vs. Montreal Jew thing I guess). There are fewer and fewer authentic deli's in T.O. these days.

A real deli must also sell chopped liver, Knishes and Kishke, in my point of view.

Mark

Hey Justin, yeah, another andouille lover! My one-stop for all things Cajun is Cajun Corner on Queen St. East (they are closed until Easter when they reopen in their new location at Queen and Logan.) Clicky here Cajun Corner

They are wonderful and have andouille, CRAWFISH!, Steen's syrup and all sorts of other things we can't get up here. Just talking about it makes me think it might be time for a big pot of gumbo soon.... :wub:

I'll definitely give Grande a try. Popped in to Lady Yorke on the weekend and was pleasantly surprised......any more gems you'd care to share?

Hey Jake,

CRAWFISH!?!?!?

OH BOY OH BOY NOW IM EXCITED!

I havent been able to find Crawfish anywhere in TO, but if you say they got them, then I will be visitng them promptly upon their re-opening!

Glad you liked Lady York, they have some really neat things, I love their Cookie isle, as there are so many great italian yummies! They also have really good meats there, I must say.

Let me know how you like Grande, I think you will enjoy :biggrin:

Hmm gems...What were you looking for, anything specific? I would say Pusateris, but they arnt a gem, and are overpriced. Granted they have an amazing selection you wont find anywhere else, but by no means a Gem...

-Justin

Hey Jake,

CRAWFISH!?!?!?

OH BOY OH BOY  NOW IM EXCITED!

I havent been able to find Crawfish anywhere in TO, but if you say they got them, then I will be visitng them promptly upon their re-opening!

Glad you liked Lady York, they have some really neat things, I love their Cookie isle, as there are so many great italian yummies!  They also have really good meats there, I must say.

Let me know how you like Grande, I think you will enjoy  :biggrin:

Hmm gems...What were you looking for, anything specific?  I would say Pusateris, but they arnt a gem, and are overpriced.  Granted they have an amazing selection you wont find anywhere else, but by no means a Gem...

-Justin

Crawfish indeed! I, too, can't wait until they reopen. :smile:

I'll try Grande next time I'm up that way, or feel like a small expedition (has to be one of the worst driving areas in TO imho)

Gems for me would usually mean ethnic and/or hard to find things, restaurants included. I know all the regulars (Whole Paycheck, Pusateri's, the market, Kensington, etc and my other chef contacts) For instance, there's a little shop in little India (north side, beside Siddartha rest.) that does grilled spicy corn on the cob and this amazing little snack of dried Indian snacks, chick peas, potatos, fried onions and a tamarind and a spicy sauce. Great snack. They also have fresh sugarcane juice (have them add salt and lemon)

Ok, I will share a recent find...

King Street 1 block east of Spadina - Thai restaraunt called Princess Thai...

Their hot and sour soup thai style is amazing, so is their pad thai (which I love) amongst other things...

Hows that? :biggrin:

Really great! Esp. since I have to be in that area later this week! Cheers!

How did a Deli discussion start talking about Andouille sausage and antipasti?

I will try Zuppa next time I am downtown, which is not that often anymore.

Incidentally, the worst deli around, Shopsy's aside, has to be the Pickel Barrel these days. What happened there? The meat is bland and fatty, portion sizes are small, and the prices high. Katz's on Dufferin is okay in a pinch, but nothing I would go out of my way for.

Steamies used to make an excellent Montreal Smoked Sandwich, but they didn't last too long.

Any other deli options?

Mark

Pancer's (Bathurst & Sheppard) was always a great deli. I heard that they were moving and don't know where the new spot is located, or if the transition was good. If they still have oven baked carp from Manitoba, I'm going!

YOu know what, I was at pancers a few weeks back, got a pastrami sandwich...and i had to slather on extra musterd because it was just too dry...

I urge you all to go to Zuppas, there may be a bit of a line, but thats a good thing...You will thank me later :biggrin:

Pancer's has moved to their new location. They are now about four or five blocks north of Wilson on the West side of Bathurst. Pancer's Pastrami is okay, but it is their Corned Beef that I love. I find their turkey too smokey tasting too. Their kishke is pretty good.

I will definately try Zuppa's corned beef soon and let you know what I think.

Mark

jay: Zuppas is on Adelaid right off Peter, I believe....I may be wrong, but its right around there...please look it up to verify...

I havent had their corned beef, I stick to their pastrami and montreal smoked meat...try a few :biggrin:

How did a Deli discussion start talking about Andouille sausage and antipasti?

I will try Zuppa next time I am downtown, which is not that often anymore.

Incidentally, the worst deli around, Shopsy's aside, has to be the Pickel Barrel these days.  What happened there?  The meat is bland and fatty, portion sizes are small, and the prices high.  Katz's on Dufferin is okay in a pinch, but nothing I would go out of my way for.

Steamies used to make an excellent Montreal Smoked Sandwich, but they didn't last too long.

Any other deli options?

Mark

Deli, andouille sausage and antipasti......what can I say, it was easier than a new topic??? :unsure: Ummm, the discussion was going well and it can sometimes be kinda slow on the TO board??? :shock: Anyway, mea culpa. (Having said that, feel free to chime in with any suggestions for the above mentioned you may have. :biggrin: )

Mark, you are correct. I had the opportunity (misfortune?) to have a pastrami sandwich from the PB about 5 months ago.....it was awful! No taste, fat AND gristle, just overall yuk. Last time I had a smoked meat from Katz's on Dufferin i asked for hot mustard (Keene's, Colemans) and got sweet. It was god-awful and ruined the whole sandwich.

I haven't tried Zuppa, but will soon. Off to visit a friend at York Central Hosp. later, think I'll have to make a detour to Centre Street after all this talk of deli.

After reading this thread, went to Zupas this afternoon to grab a sandwich.

Ordered a corned beef on rye. Sandwich was decent...

One thing I noticed was that the meat was not hand sliced... I must say Centre Street Deli is still the best in T.O... which IMHO is still a few steps down from Schwartz.

I didn't see pastrami on the menu, but next time I'll order smoked meat.

Do you know if any of their meat is hand sliced?!?

As for today.. think i'll go pick up a veal sandwich at Mustacio's

Mustachio's is my favourite sandwiche joint in T.O., bar none. I live for their eggplant foccacia sandwiche. The veal and breakfast egg ones are good too. If Rachel Ray ever does a $40/day show in Toronto, she had better eat at either Carousel Bakery or Mustachios, or she will hear from me!

I usually find the corned beef the fattier, juicier meat, but that is only if it is from places that don't steam it to death.

Mark

Mustachio's is my favourite sandwiche joint in T.O., bar none. I live for their eggplant foccacia sandwiche. The veal and breakfast egg ones are good too. If Rachel Ray ever does a $40/day show in Toronto, she had better eat at either Carousel Bakery or Mustachios, or she will hear from me!

I usually find the corned beef the fattier, juicier meat, but that is only if it is from places that don't steam it to death.

Mark

Personally, I don't like Mustachio's at all. The fried eggplant is good on it's own but the veal is always incredibly dry and tasteless and I've definitely had better bread. As for Rachel Ray, it is my fervrent hope that she NEVER comes to Toronto! :shock::raz:

Mark, Centre Street deli will hand slice if you ask -- decent job of it too. (For take out anyway....)

Mustachio's is my favourite sandwich joint in T.O too....

I didn't have time to go down to the market today... but picked up some fries from the fry truck in front of City Hall..

They advertise as "Best fries in town" and I tend to agree at least for truck food!