• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food and your birthday

stefanyb

Steve,

It's not the fact that people won't have a good time, it's the fact that you have to play the host. I must be as neurotic as Robert for somehow I feel responsible when I am hosting a party for the food (over which I have no control), people getting along (also no control), the wine (finally some control) and the over-all general "feel" of the evening. Who needs this much stress on an important birthday?

Also, it sounds much better to me to have a quiet, long, leisurely dinner and be able to splurge on a great bottle of wine like the '90 Jayer Cros Parentoux. You don't order that kind of wine for 20 or do you? If so, count me in.

Happy Birthday, Robert.

• 17 years later...

so Friday I officially got my Medicare Part A card.

A dear friend asked if I would be interested in visiting for the weekend and I said YES!!!

Friday was the traditional dinner I have come to love - homemade thin crust pizza and salad.  Oops, no lettuce!  I brought some heirloom tomatoes up from here in NJ. A Purple Cherokee and Mortgage lifter went into a tomato salad with some shaved garlic, olives, red onion and roasted red peppers with some olive oil, salt and pepper.

Since she cooks during the week while her husband works on the weekend she gets a break - luckily her husband in a former life was a cook/pastry and bread guy, all-around dogs body.  He made us BLTs for lunch on Saturday, mid afternoon mocha espressos (hot for him and me; iced for her) then dinner was my request - grilled lamb chops and vegetables.  I was allowed to sous for him (Oui, chef) and it was one of the best meals I have had in ages.  Thank you Ed and Joyce for making me feel like a queen and helping to feel part of.... a family and something bigger than myself.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites