• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any Restaurants Serving Whole Lobsters in Van?

dodger

I have a huge craving for lobster. I want the whole experience, bib and all. Do these places exist in Vancouver anymore??

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

We do a whole Atlantic Lobster but the chef does all the cracking for you and the exoskeleton is just a lift and discard garnish, so bibs are not needed.

But feel free to wear one, just the same. We like a bit of entertainment! :laugh:

We also do a whole Dungeness, and it's BYOBib (we'll supply the hot towel and the proper implements).

Come to think of it, the only bibs I've seen in the last few years hang to dry over the kitchen faucet. :sad:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

The place at W1st and Yew, a couple incarnations ago, used to do a whole Atlantic lobster. It was small-ish (1-1/2 lb) but I thought it was pretty cheap (didn't quite know how they made money off it). And you got the whole shebang - cracking, scraping, sucking the green stuff... Sadly I haven't found a decent replacement yet.

The place at W1st and Yew, a couple incarnations ago, used to do a whole Atlantic lobster.  It was small-ish (1-1/2 lb) but I thought it was pretty cheap (didn't quite know how they made money off it).  And you got the whole shebang - cracking, scraping, sucking the green stuff...  Sadly I haven't found a decent replacement yet.

I think the place you are referring to was the "First Avenue Bistro" just down from the corner of 1st and Yew where Adesso now resides. They used to have a big steaming pot outside the door which you could see steaming away when walking by in the evening. Too bad it didn't work out.... never did give them a try.

And... as to where you can get lobster now (not sure about the bibs though), Sausi's on West Broadway, around Carnarvon, hosts a lobster fest and a crab fest at some point during the year.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Doesn't the Atlantic Trap and Gill, that Newfie/Maritimer place on...Davie serve lobster?

Just googled them, they do. Here is the dinner menu. (Fresh Nova Scotia lobster per the home page.)

I've never eaten there but it looks like I should remember it when wandering the streets drunk and hungry at midnight...although being surrounded by drunken Maritimers...maybe I shouldn't !

Edit: Ha ha ha Pao Pao beat me to it: I should not post before coffee, I'm half blind yet!

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I've never eaten there but it looks like I should remember it when wandering the streets drunk and hungry at midnight...although being surrounded by drunken Maritimers...maybe I shouldn't !

You'll never be safer "me old trout"....having spent the latter part of the '70's in a similar state and in similar, albeit Atlantic,surroundings, "...I am broken man on a Halifax Pier, the last of Barrett's Privateers..."

Edited by merlin (log)

My choice would be Rodney's Oyster House on Hamilton Street in Yaletown.

As they buy their product directly from the fisherman as opposed to a supplier, the lobster is of better quality and freshness.

Aside from being on the East Coast, you will not get them any better.

Jan Kiss, the chef has over 20 years experience with cooking them and I have never had better outside of P.E.I.

Say hi to Stafford and Todd while you are there.

Hope this helps

Oyster guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

Okay - this is not lobster - but I just got back from Sun Sui Wah's live alaskan crab special @ $13.80/lb. A table of 5 of us polished off 10 lbs of crab, 4 lbs of flounder plus rice and noodles. The crab was very very good and we had it steamed with minced garlic and then had noodles tossed in the left over sauce. Dinner for 5 - $270 tip included. I think that's pretty reasonable. (burp!)