• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle wine shops?

A :wub: very very dear friend :wub: of mine is about to turn 21. I am too far away and too tied up to help her celebrate, but I would like to do something nice for her anyway, it is one of THOSE birthdays, y'know?

What I'm thinking is buying her a nice bottle of wine at a shop where she could pick it up? maybe there is a place that'd deliver it?

maybe a gift certificate to a wine bar?

I know very little of seattle, I'd love some ideas!!!

Money is a bit of an issue (we're both college kids) but not much of one.

any advice'd be great!

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

i'm now thinking that i should get her a certificate to a nice restaurant with a good list... i'm going to poke around in here; i'm suer there are dozens of good recommmendations floating about.

then again, someone could just plop the best idea ever on me.

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

Matt's in the Market - she has to get off the Ave sometime. They have wine by the glass or bottle, great food, funky place. They'll fuss, in an East Coast way over her birthday (as in, give her a bad time, probably no freebies, but you never know.)

McCarthy and Schiering is close to the U district up at 65th and Ravenna.

6500 Ravenna Ave NE

Seattle, WA 981151

Cross Street: 65th Street

Phone: (206) 524-9500

They carry a lot of Northwest wines and some European as well with a lean toward German and Australian. They have a good reputation.

M. Thomas

I'm all for "shop local" normally, but what about mail/online ordering a bottle of wine for her?

I have friends who've started doing this in the last few years when they want something they can't find locally, and they've been quite happy with the results. if you're interested PM me & I will find out details...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

There are several wine shops close to the U, but I can't vouch for them since I don't drink.

In Wallingford

City Cellars Fine Wines

1710 N 45th

Seattle, WA 98103 - 6855

(206) 632-7238

In Sandpoint

La Cantina Wine Merchants

5436 Sandpoint Way NE

Seattle, WA

(206) 525-4340

Lake City

Le Savoir-Faire Wine Cellars

Lake City Way & 81st

Seattle, WA 98115 - 4308

Ravenna

McCarthy & Schiering Wine Merchants

6500 Ravenna Ave NE

Seattle, WA 98115 - 7041

(206) 524-9500

In Ballard

Portalis Wine Shop & Wine Bar

5310 Ballard NW

Seattle, WA 98107 - 4060

(206) 783-2007

Wine Shop On 24th The

5903 24th NW

Seattle, WA 98107 - 3207

(206) 783-5996

(206) 729-5988

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons