• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb Curry: Cook-Off 4

Chris Amirault

I nominate Chili for the next cookoff.

But, three of the last four have been soupy/stewy (cassoulet, gumbo, curry). I really vote for fried chicken. It doesn't involve a bazzillion ingredients or really long cooking. Plus, we here in the northern lands are entering that spring season, and we're sick of standing over the stove cooking long and involved things. Time to hone our skills one something that is somwhat simpler. The increased length of days and push of the sun is making me think Picnic Food!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

If we do chicken I will share my Aunt Minnie's secret. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Sorry to post so late. I did want to report on the lamb curry. I made Lamb Curry with Stir-Fried Spices from 50 Great Curries of India by Camilla Panjabi. My book tells me that it is from Delhi and is called Bhuna Gosht.

I used a lamb shoulder roast that we had in our freezer. The recipe calls for stir-frying the spices first, then adding the onion and frying for another 15 min. Then adding the boned meat and the bone and cooking for 20 min. with more spices and finally adding still other spices and tomatoes and water and simmering for 20 min. more.

The result was absolutely delicious and worth making again. I have to say I haven't hit a clunker in this book yet.

I'm up for Fried Chicken. At least it is warm enough to open the windows for a bit. :biggrin:

fou

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Thanks to those of you chiming in that finding decent lamb meat, or any lamb meat at all, was a pain for you too. I was beginning to think I was going nutz. Well, that's not to say that I'm not, but my inability to locate lamb meat in a store is at least not a symptom. :biggrin: Wasn't lamb once a helluva lot more common in American supermarkets, or am I just hallucinating that too? I swear I used to always see chops and stew meat available ...

As to the next dish: I could really go for a venture into fried chicken. It's not a dish I grew up with at home (unless you count take-out--anyone remember Chicken Delight?) and my sole attempt so far at teaching myself how to do it came out edible but definitely sub-par.

But I'm sure I'd be happy with most anything y'all go for.

If we do chicken I will share my Aunt Minnie's secret.  :biggrin:

That seals the deal for me! Who knows what the secret is about, but if Aunt Minnie has shared it with Fifi, then I want it!

Next up as eGullet Recipe Cook-Off V: fried chicken, bay-bee!!

(Linda, do you really have an Aunt Minnie? Or is this just keen electioneering? Either way, it worked! :raz:)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I've had more lamb in the past two weeks than I have for my whole life. Before I found the right lamb for a curry, I found lamb chops and very small lamb shanks (which I used in a big pot of white beans). I pan grilled the lamb chops:

gallery_18691_840_40734.jpg

But finally, I made my lamb curry. I used Madhur Jaffrey's recipe for Red Lamb Stew (Rogan Josh) from her book, Indian Cooking. I think Chufi also made this, but the ingredients list and process seem a little different, so maybe the recipes are from different Jaffrey books.

The recipe calls for:

2 1 inch cubes fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped (I used ground ginger from Penzeys)

8 cloves of garlic, peeled

1 1/2 to 2 cups water

10 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 lb. boned lamb cut into 1 inch cubes

10 cardamom pods

2 bay leaves

6 cloves (I used ground cloves from Penzeys)

10 peppercorns

1 inch cinnamon stick

2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped

1 tsp. ground coriander

2 tsp ground cumin

4 tsp. bright red paprika mixed with 1/4 to 1 tsp. cayenne pepper

1 1/4 tsp. salt

6 Tbs. plain yogurt

1/4 tsp. garam masala

freshly ground black pepper

I hate that I had to substitute ground spices for some of the whole, but I didn't want to put off making this any longer, so it was do or die.

gallery_18691_840_4666.jpg

In the picture the paprika and cayenne are mixed in one bowl, and the coriander and cumin are also sharing a bowl. Missing from the picture are the lamb, salt, and vegetable oil.

I didn't do everything perfectly. The paste made from the garlic, ginger, and water was too liquid. I guess if you're substituting ground ginger for fresh, maybe you should use less water? Also, I guessed at how much ground ginger to use when subbing for fresh.

While it was cooking, the stew certainly looked red (as per the name):

gallery_18691_840_88620.jpg

During the last stage, the liquid is reduced, and so, also was the red color of the dish. Here's the final, very tasty, result:

gallery_18691_840_60180.jpg

Edited by patti (log)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Just a note to those of you who are coming to this cook-off later than others. Thanks to the internet, remember that you're never too late for an eGullet cook-off. While all have a specific starting time, none have a end time, and there are many of us eager to see what you will do with the cook-off recipes. So don't hesitate to contribute if you're finding this thread weeks or months after its start: your posting your own ideas, questions, or results can bump activity back up on this thread in no time!

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Just saw this thread and thought I'd contribute. I made a lamb curry at the weekend using Niman Ranch cubed lamb shoulder (2 lbs). The curry was my own recipe (no ghee) and it turned out magnificent.

The curry sauce is delicious on its own due to the meat juices and spices. I'd be happy eating the sauce alone over rice :smile:

Foodie Penguin

Just saw this thread and thought I'd contribute. I made a lamb curry at the weekend using Niman Ranch cubed lamb shoulder (2 lbs). The curry was my own recipe (no ghee) and it turned out magnificent.The curry sauce is delicious on its own due to the meat juices and spices. I'd be happy eating the sauce alone over rice :smile:

Can you share your recipe with us? Photos, too, would be nice!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Finally I found the cord that connects my camera to the computer. This was a wonderful curry. Here are some of the spices:

gallery_17623_661_240747.jpg

We had pappadams and rice alongside

gallery_17623_661_264171.jpg

I liked the color that the spices gave to the finished dish (bhuna gosht).

gallery_17623_661_403712.jpg

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Yep, it is. The author calls for cinnamon or bay leaves. Since I don't have a chance of finding cinnamon leaves here I was glad for the substitution.

I have to say, the author, Camilla Panjabi is great about that and offers a thorough introduction which I was happy to have.

• 4 years later...

Reanimating a very old thread, we made lamb vindaloo from Camellia Panjabi’s 50 Great Curries of India. Meltingly tender lamb with brown-fried onions and a masala of red chile, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, black pepper, star anise, poppy seeds, ginger, garlic, tamarind, and cider vinegar, finished with curry leaves. Lots of flavor, but quite different than my usual pork vindaloo, from Julie Sahni’s Classic Indian Cooking.

Served with date and coconut chutney, cucumber raita, and rice.

gallery_42956_2536_37099.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have just come across this thread and will be back again with photos when I next make Anjum Anands Lamb Curry with Fenugreek Dumplings. This recipe also includes chickpeas and sweet potato in the curry....and I can tell you it is totally wonderful.

There are some great sounding curries to try in this thread so TG its still winter here!! :wink: