• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Get Out Your Resumes

Andrew Morrison

But

The cowichan Valley has the best year round weather and has huge history, the Natives and non natives. The whites where sailing a lot earlier then Ottawa wants us to know, the British won, well did they miss a lot of real history in our schools, they are off like two hundred years. Tourism in BC is older then logging, it pre dates logging, that is a fact, the first major industry was seal pelts. The rod and gun in Parksville dates like what 1860? Logging had not started yet as a key industry.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

I'd like to work just one shift in every one of Vancouver and Victoria's best restaurants.

I'd just pop in to Wild Rice or C or insert restaurant name here, having memorised the menu the night before. Train for an hour on their systems, get the table numbers dialed in, and then hit a small section of four or five tables. Have a beer and a staff meal with the crew after the last table leaves.

That would be an interesting exercise!

Not a bad idea for a TV show. Any producers out there? :laugh:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Last week I saw a job for Overwati and Company, they were looking for a corporate Chef and product developement, I thought that would be fun and the money is great, but I miss the posting bye by a week. I have thought of going into the grocery business, the money is better and you have benifits.

steve

Actually, Andrew, there is a TV show about to debut

on CTV about working in a restaurant. It's called

Godiva's and is based on the co-creator's experience

working at Isadora's on Granville Island in the eighties.

It's set in a hip, happenin' restaurant in Yaletown

(Neil?). Check it out, March 16. Looks great.

Ther was a rather lengthy shoot at the Yaletown Brewpub about a "working in a restaurant" show last year. I would bet that this is the one. The Blue Water does a fair amount of movie shoot, but I know a location manager and what they charge is out of CTV's budget. Only Hollywood stuff at the Blue Water.

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

That's likely the one; I was on-set when they

were shooting last fall.

They shot about a third of it on location in Yaletown,

mostly walk and talks. The creator told me the restaurant

exteriors were shot on the corner of Hamilton and Drake.

My mind is blank, do you know what building that would be?

That wouldn't be the Brew pub you're talking about, would it?

They then matched that exterior and the interior to the set

they created on a soundstage on Boundary in Burnaby.

Really elaborate set with a real working kitchen, bigger

than most actual restaurant kitchens.

Your Bluewater comment reminded me of the time I was

dining al fresco at the restaurant before it was the Blue Water

(can't remember the name) while watching a shoot in progress. The area was

subbing for NYC.

This has actually inspired me to start a new thread: famous faces

in restaurants. I think I'll start it. Bet you have some stories, no?

The Elbow Room (a place i've never been) just to speak straight to a few customers. But they go there expecting to catch shit so maybe it wouldn't be so great.

The Heather or any place that proudly calls itself working class.

Vinoteca - the restaurant at Zanatta vineyard in Cowichan - to work and giggle in the kitchen with Fatima and Arata. And walk off with an armload of Damasco.

3WC

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

Vinoteca - the restaurant at Zanatta vineyard in Cowichan - to work and giggle in the kitchen with Fatima and Arata. And walk off with an armload of Damasco
That would be fun

steve

This thread has had me pondering over the last few days about neat places I might like to work. Most days I feel like I already have that dream job :biggrin: , but here's a few thoughts...

1. Pastry chef at an Okanogan winery restaurant like Mission Hill.

2. Working on wedding cakes doing unique designs and sugar work. A few weeks ago there was a section in the Vancouver Sun on wedding cakes that unfortunately I recycled. I can't remember the cake decorators featured, but this one that I found online caught my attention.

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

I'm committed to Edmonton for a couple more years, but I'm thinking probably Michael Allemeier at Mission Hill. Never met the man, but everything I've read is positive. Also, longer term, I'd like to go home to Nova Scotia and open a place near (or at) one of the wineries.

At present there are only a couple of wineries worth mentioning. However, I'm thinking that as the Cool Climate Oeniculture thing gathers momentum, it's going to help marginal areas like Quebec and NS even more than BC and Ontario; so opportunities will be better in another decade or so.

That'd be my real-world choice. After that, well...Vij's, for sure; and yeah, probably Feenie and Hawksworth. Haven't been in Vancouver since 1991, so my knowledge of the rest of the food scene is limited to what I read here.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Give me a break! The last time television tried this concept it was lame and exagerated beyond any belief. I have seen the trailers and it looks totally stupid and just the fact that they are launching the show in March shows that even the network thinks it is a dog.

If they thought it was any good, it would have started in September when they launch the new shows that the producers actually believe in.

I wouldn't waste my time on it as it will be totally unrealistic even though most actors have at one time been in this industry.

What was it based on? His one summer as a busser in a cocaine-fuelled restaurant?

It won't last 2 months before they 86 it.

I, for one, won't cry when they put this dog to sleep.

Stick to the Food Channel and real life as opposed to someone's warped tv version of "reality."

And you won't have to put up with the love interest crap.

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

yeah we had some of the actors in our kitchen doing research for their roles in this .

we scared the life out of them

:biggrin:

tt

I'd like to work just one shift in every one of Vancouver and Victoria's best restaurants.

I'd just pop in to Wild Rice or C or insert restaurant name here, having memorised the menu the night before. Train for an hour on their systems, get the table numbers dialed in, and then hit a small section of four or five tables. Have a beer and a staff meal with the crew after the last table leaves.

That would be an interesting exercise!

Not a bad idea for a TV show. Any producers out there?  :laugh:

Let me know!

Leonard

C GM

I would love to work in Vancouver but I really haven't seen any oyster establishment that appeals to me there.

I like both Joe Forte's and Rodney's and both do a fine job of servicing the oyster but I don't know Van as well as the rest of you.

Is there any other oyster bars of any note in Van?

I would appreciate any and all replies.

Thanks

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

I'd like to spend time with a catering business. Would love to know how they go about their business and make it work and launch my own venture someday.

Or as a food critic for a magazine or paper who would be willing to pay me to eat out. :raz:

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous