• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Get Out Your Resumes

Andrew Morrison

Let's say you could get a job at any establishment in British Columbia in the FOH or the BOH, where would it be and why would you want to work there? Choose more than one if you like.

Note: Jamie has already called shotgun on the human resources manager for Earl's FOH. :laugh:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I forgot to mention where I would go... :biggrin:

1. The Wick or the Long Beach Lodge in Tofino - Always wanted to learn how to surf and I've never worked in a hotel before. I'd love to learn how hotels function.

2. The Bengal Lounge in the Empress - just one shift to see what it's like on the other side of the teapot.

3. One of the Top Table places (the closer you are to Caesar, the greater the fear).

4. One shift as a dishpig with Feenie or Hawksworth on the line - just to watch.

5. Bathroom attendant - Cactus Club in West Van.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Towel Boy at Brandy's exotic Show Lounge ??

No kidding. I'd be fighting you for that job.

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Gingerbread Pudding Taster @ HSG :laugh: (Of course, I'd have to learn to be happy weighing 400lbs.)

Related to my industry, I'd love to work with designers of rooms like Chambar, Lift, Cactus Club (West Vancouver). These kind of rooms require an entirely different skill set than what I possess. There would also be the added benefit of attending all those parties you see on "Opening Soon"

A.

Gingerbread Pudding Taster @ HSG

No kidding. I'd be fighting you for that job.

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

I don't work in the industry but as an enthusiastic amateur chef I'd love to spend an afternoon in the kitchen of a place like West or Lumiere and see what goes on there.

Les Relais du Gourmand does this internship thing where for a lot of money you can spend a week at a high end restaurant as a kind of apprentice. I have been pondering doing something like this for a while. It will require some serious wife convincing. :raz: (See this link for more info)

I spent an afternoon at Uprising Breads bakery a while ago, I won it at a silent auction for a charity benefit. It was great fun, watching them handle the monstrous blobs of dough and tossing chunks of it in a loaf shaping machine. I emerged from there covered in flour and with a new respect for bakers. :smile:

I guess having bumbling amateurs around the kitchen is the last thing any chef wants. But if any local restaurants were to do some charity related auction for a an afternoon of observation and silly question asking in the kitchen, I'd be bidding for sure.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

I guess having bumbling amateurs around the kitchen is the last thing any chef wants. But if any local restaurants were to do some charity related auction for a an afternoon of observation and silly question asking in the kitchen, I'd be bidding for sure.

Done.

p/m me if your interested. It's an entirely scratch kitchen, so you'll witness bread making, pasta rolling, ravioli creation, butchering, all forms of mise en place (bring a knife), pastry and of course, the glory of clean-up. :laugh:

Owner

Winebar @ Fiction

Lucy Mae Brown

Century - modern latin -

Done.

p/m me if your interested. It's an entirely scratch kitchen, so you'll witness bread making, pasta rolling, ravioli creation, butchering, all forms of mise en place (bring a knife), pastry and of course, the glory of clean-up. :laugh:

Ok , I can beat that ! You can work in my kitchen for two days for free ! All of the abuse you can handle.

N

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Would have to be BOH in Lumiere because it blew my 21 year old mind when my parents took me there for my birthday. That is when I discovered what food could be and fell deeply and irrevocably in love. With food that is.

But the towel boy at brandie's wouldn't be so bad either.

Ok , I can beat that ! You can work in my kitchen for two days for free ! All of the abuse you can handle.

N

I will take abuse for gingerbread pudding and extra pumpkin ice-cream! :laugh:

I would like to be employed to eat all the "seconds" at Chocolate Arts.

But seriously, I would love to learn how to make croissants and puff pastry by hand from Thomas Haas, and learn the secrets to decorating those beautiful little cakes!

I would like to spend a day with Vikram Vij, back and front of house as only he can do - I have always considered him one of the most complete restauranteurs I have had the privilege to meet. Otherwise, I would like Jamie Maw's job - truly a very noble profession as a culinary and viticultural swami - haha! By the way if the 'editor' ever wants that job at the Wick, let me know!!!!

How about

Portland

that place is rocking

Cowichan valley that place is the best food- wine

It kicks ass

i would love to be on a farm and a restaurant

that is where the fun is, like stalander.

Ontario ditribution is miles ahead of BC; all this province wants to do is export.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Why does it have to be BC only? Alot of these dialogues don't have to be exclusively west coast.

If you want to carry on this discussion in General Foods feel free to start up the topic. This topic is focussing on Western Canadian restuarants and chefs for people that live in the area/

A.