• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Get Out Your Spectacles...

dodger

Inspired by another thread (gee..which one?) I started to think of all the places that I used to frequent but had forgotten about. First up on my list:

La Bodega.

Now I'm craving a pitcher of Sangria and some patas bravas!

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Ohhhh, La Bodega. Best sangria ever. Especially after 10 pitchers or so. I haven't forgotten about it, I just never get around to it anymore.

I always forget about Notte's Bon Ton since they moved to Broadway. Once in awhile I'll drive by and go "oh yeah!"

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Here's a few more "below the radar but still cruisin'" places that have been around longer than most of us have lived here and who, for no obvious reason, defy the Vancouver odds.

: Topanga- on 4th, the much maligned Naam and The Kingshead on Yew.

The Cannery

My dad & his sibblings still go there for "special" occaisions, but very very few people of my generation even mention it.

A.

Oh, my dad took me there a couple of years ago and I had this delicious Salmon Wellington!

I knew a couple who used to go there for every occasion. But I don't hear a lot about it now, 'cause I mostly hang out with downtown people who want to eat in the 'hood.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

does anyone really ever go to delilah's? i live very close but have never had even the slightest inclination. i can see perhaps the old location being a bit alluring though, but the side door of the denman mall just ain't quite the same

Cafe Katzenjammer is fantastic. I think it's been open for a couple of years now and they have the most wonderful sausages. Definitely worth heading to for good German. It would be even better if you have a hangover.

• 1 month later...

when I first moved to vancouver in 78 (gosh I'm dating myself) I got a job at Pat's Restaurant in West Vancouver. Last weekend when we went over to the North Shore to check out Whole foods...I thought why not see if they're still there, and they were! After all these years Kirk and Lynn continue to do what they do best year after year.

Harry Sturhahn chef/owner

Central Bistro & Lounge

Went to Cirpriano's on Main for the first time in over a decade. The food - very hit and miss, the service was'nt much better.

When I asked what pasta came with my veal - the owner who was taking our order snapped an me - 'I don't know - whatever the kitchen feels like'. I honestly considered getting up at that point - but eh - what was the point? It would have only validated whatever snarky notion he had in his head.

The highlight was a basket of old school garlic bread with a good dusting of parmasean and romano cheeses. SO GOOD! If I lived near by - I would be taking out bags full of this stuff.

On the wall was a VanMag award for Best Italian from 1989 (I think that it was a reader's choice award, also not sure about the date, it was very dark in the restaurant). Either everbody's tastes have really evolved or the place has slid a bit.

If the service was better - might go back just for the old school aspect. But really - why go somewhere if they are borderline hostile to you? Also - the windows need a good hosing down with windex.

Dear Canucklehead,

You are very generous in your asessment of Cipriano's. The owner has a reputation of forcing patrons to listen to his off-colour jokes. My friend took a group of women there, and when they told him they didn't appreciate his sense of humour, he kicked them out! I have only heard dire reports about the food. The reviews out front are fading, but the red paint on the outside seems to get brighter every day...It's a bit spooky.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I haven't been to Camille's in Victoria in a long time but I'm sure they're still plugging away, serving up some of the best plates in town. Herald Street is unrecognizable, staff and ownership-wise...change the name! Saltaire in West Vancouver was dead as doornails the last time I was in (it used to be crazy busy). Also in West Van, The Beach Side Cafe under new chef Ray Fung has been relatively unsung since Gianni Picci left, even though Chef Fung has revitalized the menu from top to bottom. Fiction Five on Lonsdale at East 2nd is a great spot too, but I never hear anything about it. Also, the sometimes extraordinary Ordinary Cafe still sits beneath the radar, as does the Living Room Bistro (just up from Topanga) which I hear is doing wonderful things these days and has a dedicated neighbourhood following. Delilah's off Denman always appears to be slow. Others: Aqua Riva. One Restaurant Lounge. Fish House. Sequoia. Cardero's (since Lift opened). For restaurants, where do you put the spark plugs?

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine