• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rabbit

isidore

The only problem is that rabbit is much too much for two people; we had over half the meat left after dinner.

Leftover rabbit is great in a salad of frisee and mache with some crumbled bleu cheese (I like Stilton) and rosemary.

And shredded sundries are wonderful in a risotto.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I used to raise rabbits for dinner, long time ago.

When the does got too old to be productive, they were butchered, boned and the meat put into the pressure cooker. Served with some barbecue sauce on buns, we called the dish "Hoppy Joes".

sparrowgrass

I used to raise rabbits for dinner, long time ago. 

When the does got too old to be productive, they were butchered, boned and the meat put into the pressure cooker.  Served with some barbecue sauce on buns, we called the dish "Hoppy Joes".

Priceless. Where, but on eGullet?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

• 5 months later...

This is a xpost from the SE restaurant board.

I find the trick to a good rabbit is that it be juicy and taste like rabbit. This sounds simple, but often it is overcooked and has no real distinguisable taste, the whole tastes like chicken thing. The kidneys are also a true treat. The saddle and loin are the most tender and the hind quarters are a tad darker and more flavorful. Rabbits are lean and need to be cooked gently.

Wild rabbit can be very gamey. I am told it often has to do with the way it is butchered (glans or someting like that) and hung to drain the blood. I dont really hunt, but welcome any game to cook, and look forward to learning the proper technique.

I have had Fearringtons braised version and it is very good, but in a sence could be the same using duck, chicken or a game bird using the same spices and cooking technique.

If you ever run across a hopper in the store fresh or frozen I reccomend the following fool proof techinque I got from Jean Georges "Simple to Spectacular"

Butcher rabbit into 5-7 pieces

Submerge in olive oil (not EVOO) with a few cloves of crushed garlic and some thyme

Bake open in the over on 250 for a couple hours.

serve with a bitter green dressed with EVOO salt and lemon juice

Like several others, I always bone out the loins from the saddle.

Legs. Braise in white wine; braise in red wine; confit in duck fat.

Saddle. Simply roast to medium rare; wrap in bacon and roast; stuff, wrap in bacon and roast; stuff, wrap in caul fat and roast; stuff, wrap in foil and confit.

For stuffing. Use meat from the forequarter and make a farce with egg, cream, herbs, salt and pepper. Puree and pass. Make sure that your loins have the rib flap attached. Spread stuffing on flap and roll.

Remainder of forequarter. Use for stock with loin bones.

Hassenpfeffer and my favorite recipe is

This one

That has been in several of Sylvia Bashline's cookbooks, including the first which I think was published in the early 80s as that is how long I have been preparing rabbit (or hare) this way.

I also make jugged hare, which is very similar to duck confit, in principal.

I should add that I usually triple or quadruple this recipe and cook it in an electric roaster for parties. People especially love the gravy.

Besides the wild rabbits I get, there is a local (to me) farmer who raises several breeds of rabbit and also Belgian hare, which are much larger than our domestic rabbits. One of these will easily feed six or more.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

A few weeks ago, I made the "Braised Rabbit in Balsamic Sauce" from Lidia's Italian Table (Bastianich, if she needs further identification). Contrary to her suggestions, I just chopped the whole thing into pieces, including all the bony parts and the thin layer of rib meat. So one bunny was two full meals for two people.

It was one of the rare times I actually followed a recipe, and it was excellent. Even made the suggested accompaniment of Swiss Chard and Potatoes -- yummmmmmmm.

• 1 month later...

I'm ramping up for next months Les Marmitons event and we are preparing rabbit. I have never worked with rabbit so I'm unsure of portion sizes. Is it 1/2 a rabbit per person like duck would be or is a 1/4 per person sufficient. we are doing it for 25 people as part of a 5 course meal so the portion doesn't have to be huge , but I don't want to skimp either.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

How are you preparing the critters, ejebud?

One problem you're going to face is the different sizes of the pieces. On an average domestic rabbit (around 3 lbs. in my neck of the woods), a hind leg is a fairly generous portion while two front legs are borderline skimpy. The torso is usually cut in three or four pieces; assuming the latter, you'll probably need two per main course portion. For the rabbits I buy here, I usually count on four main course portions per average animal and five for a larger one.

Restaurants often get around the problem by preparing only the hind legs or removing the legs and deboning, stuffing and tying the torso, which makes for easy slicing and portion control and an elegant presentation. The unused pieces can be used in other preps like sautés, terrines and sausages.

How are you preparing the critters, ejebud?

One problem you're going to face is the different sizes of the pieces. On an average domestic rabbit (around 3 lbs. in my neck of the woods), a hind leg is a fairly generous portion while two front legs are borderline skimpy. The torso is usually cut in three or four pieces; assuming the latter, you'll probably need two per main course portion. For the rabbits I buy here, I usually count on four main course portions per average animal and five for a larger one.

Restaurants often get around the problem by preparing only the hind legs or removing the legs and deboning, stuffing and tying the torso, which makes for easy slicing and portion control and an elegant presentation. The unused pieces can be used in other preps like sautés, terrines and sausages.

You've got a PM!!! (recipe included)

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Hope I'm not spoiling a surprise (if I am, let me know and I'll edit this post), but your recipe is a slightly elaborate version of a French classic. For discussion purposes, here's a more streamlined version I adapted from the long out-of-print La cuisine mijotée:

Rabbit Braised with Prunes and Beer

Lapin de garenne aux pruneaux

1 rabbit, cut into 7-8 pieces

2 tablespoons butter

4 ounces (100 g) bacon, cut into lardons

8 pearl onions, peeled

2 tablespoons (15 g) instant-blending flour

2 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds

10 medium-size prunes, pitted

1/3 cup (75 g) golden raisins

1 2/3 cups (400 ml) beer, preferably a not-too-hoppy extra pale ale or pilsner

1. Two hours before you cook the dish, place the prunes and raisins in a small bowl, add warm water to cover and set aside.

2. Blanch the bacon in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain. Put it and the butter in a heavy-bottomed casserole or sauté pan. Turn the heat to medium low and sauté until the edges begin to brown. Remove from the pan.

3. Turn the heat to medium. Add as many rabbit pieces as will fit without crowding. Brown on all sides, adjusting the heat to keep the fat from burning. Remove pieces from the pan as they finish browning, replacing them with unbrowned pieces.

4. When all the rabbit is browned, add the onions and the carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add the rabbit, the bacon, the beer, a small pinch of salt and a few grindings of pepper. Turn the heat to low, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Add the drained prunes and raisins. Cover again and simmer another 20-25 minutes.

5. Put the flour in a small bowl. Add two tablespoons of sauce and stir until blended. Repeat, adding sauce in small increments, until one cup has been added. Pour the mixture back into the pan, stir and simmer 5 minutes more.

Four servings

Ingredients aside, the main difference between the recipes appears to be the cooking time. By my calculation, your rabbit cooks for nearly two hours after browning. That strikes me as awfully long. The only time I do something similar is when making a rabbit-based pasta sauce, in which case the meat does indeed end up "falling off the bones" (to quote your recipe), no almost about it. Have you tested your recipe? If not, you probably should.

By the way, one danger with long-cooking rabbit is that it can become dry, like overcooked chicken breast. Avoid this by browning at no higher than medium heat and simmering at very low heat, with only the occasional bubble breaking the surface.

In any case, bleudauvergne is right. In the context of your meal, you should probably count on around five servings per rabbit. As I suggested above, however, the front legs are scrawny, bony and hard to eat elegantly; they'll put your diners' knife and fork skills to the test. You might consider saving them for another use and buying a sixth or seventh rabbit to cover the shortfall.

Thanks for the heads up on this recipe, It was sent to me by the member of our chapter who is team lead for the event. I am equally as concerned about the long cooking time as you are. We will either adopt the recipe you posted or adjust ours to reflect the suggested cooking time. Thanks again.

EJEBUD

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Thanks for the heads up on this recipe, It was sent to me by the member of our chapter who is team lead for the event.  I am equally as concerned about the long cooking time as you are.  We will either adopt the recipe you posted or adjust ours to reflect the suggested cooking time.

I like the look of your recipe, ejebud. The addition of thyme, bay leaf and clove is appealing and the garlic would do no harm. Chopping several large onions is easier than peeling many pearls, though the latter make for a more elegant presentation. (I do like the carrots in my recipe, however, for the colour and layer of flavour they provide.) In the end, the only hesitation I would have is the vinegar, but even so the quantity almost qualifies as homeopathic. Still, the vinegar and long cooking time have me wondering whether your recipe was originally for wild rabbit. Do you know?

We have done a Rabbit terrine which is probably not suitable as it takes a few days from prep to tasting. I have a recipe for Roasted saddle of rabbit with a Mustard-Tarragon sauce. PM me if interested.

I am in India now and a few hours ago, I drove past a sign selling 'Rabbit kebab'. I am shivering with anticipation. A google here revealed a "Blueberry & leek rabbit kebab recipe is marinated rabbit cubes and leeks chunks in a fruity blueberry sauce. For a great evening meal try with rice, chutney and a salad." Surely, that beats boring rabbit saddle with mustard anyday!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been thinking about the sorts of things I might cook over Easter weekend, and rabbit is something that seemed just perfect, in a perverse sort of way (don't hit me!). I had a poke around some recipe books to see what I could see; and nothing I saw was compelling.

I thought some more. Stroked my chin; and pondered. Then it struck me: I could prepare rabbit loins using a tried and true method that I devised for chicken!

First: Create a marinade using a combination of verjus and honey with salt, and marinate the loins for an hour or so, stirring occasionally. I used two heaped teaspoons of honey and about 1/4 c of verjus making this dish for two people; but by all means vary this as you see fit.

Second: After the loins have finished marinading, heat up a cast iron fry pan. Once the pan is hot, take each of the loins out of the marinade, and place in the pan. Hold on to the rest of the marinade! Brown each of the loins.

Then: Once all of the loins are nice and brown; and the honey is starting to caramelise, add the rest of the marinade back into the pan, and continue to cook until the marinade is all caramelised and the rabbit is coated in a delicious sticky glaze.

That, is all there is to it.

Of course, every dish needs a name. With this dish, however, the name came first. This, will be forever known as....

Honey Bunny.

I have been thinking about the sorts of things I might cook over Easter weekend,  and rabbit is something that seemed just perfect, in a perverse sort of way (don't hit me!).  I had a poke around some recipe books to see what I could see;  and nothing I saw was compelling.

I thought some more.  Stroked my chin;  and pondered.  Then it struck me:  I could prepare rabbit loins using a tried and true method that I devised for chicken!

First:  Create a marinade using a combination of verjus and honey with salt,  and marinate the loins for an hour or so,  stirring occasionally.  I used two heaped teaspoons of honey and about 1/4 c of verjus making this dish for two people;  but by all means vary this as you see fit.

Second:  After the loins have finished marinading,  heat up a cast iron fry pan.  Once the pan is hot,  take each of the loins out of the marinade,  and place in the pan.  Hold on to the rest of the marinade!  Brown each of the loins.

Then:  Once all of the loins are nice and brown;  and the honey is starting to caramelise,  add the rest of the marinade back into the pan,  and continue to cook until the marinade is all caramelised and the rabbit is coated in a delicious sticky glaze.

That, is all there is to it.

Of course,  every dish needs a name.  With this dish, however, the name came first.  This, will be forever known as....

Honey Bunny.

Very nice.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

• 4 months later...

For years, each visit to a friend's home in Toscana in La Versilia would inevitably consist of one lunch with rabbit on the menu.

And now that comfortable with that particular type of rodent in my kitchen, I've been trying to think of how it was done 'at home'.

Here's a description of the dish:

- rabbit pieces, sauteed in oil and garlic

Flavour:

- garlic, onion, white wine, olive oil...

Problem:

- the pieces sit in an oily sauce, with brown bits and pieces that taste wonderful.

Hypothesis:

Does one simply joint the animal, brown in olive oil with crushed garlice and onion as a base, then deglaze with white wine, add sage and rosemary, then cover and cook on for a bit??

I have a couple bunnies left in the freezer. Thoughts/criticisms welcome.

Grazie.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Sounds about right

The oily (I presume you might like its split) sauce sounds like a dead giveaway for oven baked

For the outlines try taking a coq au vin recipe and adjusting it

Make sure not to have the oven too hot

Might want to use half half wine and stock for braising liquor so not too overpowering

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Ciao,

Rabbit - the arms cut cleanly as there is no joint. The legs need boning and i split each leg into two pieces. Then the rest gets cut and boned.

(DONT FORGET to season with S&P throughout this process)

Large pot or rondeau - olive oil on high heat - once hot - sear the rabbit well - nice and golden brown on all sides - then remove the rabbit - throw out the oil but dont scrape the rondeau unless burnt pieces are present (NOTE...don't burn the rabbit!!)

Into the same rondeau with a bit of new olive oil goes onion, celery, fennel - carrot if you wish - some leek is fine too.

Once the veg. is sweated - deglaze with white wine - then add back the rabbit and just cover with water - bring to a boil on the stove then place in oven with lid at 325 for about 90 minutes - should be amazingly tender - strain the pan liquids and reduce for a really yummy sauce.

Notes - once out of the oven - let the whole pot come to room temp. naturally - that will let the rabbit absorb more juices...

let us know how it went!