• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

spare green papaya

hello.

i have a papaya.

i have a green papaya.

i want to use it.

i don't want to make green papaya salad.

i have been eating green papaya salad for the last 3 days :raz:

I was cooking for a friends birthday party over the weekend and over bought some supplies, one of them was a green papaya.

I've run out of sweet basil, coriander and mint so can't really make a salad with it

so is there any other dishes i can make?

Edited by origamicrane (log)

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

You can make Sayur. Unripe papaya was routinely used for Sayur in Terengganu in the 70s, and it works well that way. A quick internet search didn't net an English-language recipe with unripe papaya, though. Anyone have a recipe?

Basically, though, Sayur is a savory side dish of starchy vegetables and such (beans, etc.) boiled in coconut milk with chilis and other stuff. This looks like a fancy sayur recipe, what with the candlenuts and so forth -- and probably good. This looks a little more basic, but I question the small amount of coconut milk. The milk of one whole coconut from the first recipe is more like it. But keep in mind that whatever vegetables you have handy that will boil nicely belong in Sayur.

I'll note parenthetically that a web search for "sayur +recipe" produces a lot of irrelevant results because "sayur" means "vegetable(s)" in standard Malay/Indonesian, but "Sayur" by itself refers to the dish I'm describing, at least it does on the East Coast of Malaysia (or did in the 70s), where "makan sayur" means (or meant) "eat a side dish of vegetables boiled in coconut milk [etc.]," not "eat vegetables" -- a fact that led ignorant surveyors to conclude that rural Terengganu Malays must be suffering from malnutrition because they didn't eat enough "sayur"! (Of course, there are and were many other ways to prepare vegetables in rural Terengganu, but none of the others were called "sayur.")

Michael aka "Pan"

In the Chinese way, you can use papayas to make soup.  Pork + papaya.  Pretty simple and basic.

put isn't that using ripe papaya?

green papaya doesn't really have much flavour?

Ripe papaya is very soft. I don't think it's good for making soup. The Pork Papaya soups I had used papayas that were pretty green.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Ripe papaya is very soft. I don't think it's good for making soup. The Pork Papaya soups I had used papayas that were pretty green.

I always find the top half of a papaya to be green and firm while the bottom is soft and ripe, so I use the top for soup. It is sweet enough for soup and will hold it's shape after boiling.

Make your pork stock, then add the chunks of green papaya. Bring to a boil then simmer for about 15 minutes. It's very good for you!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I hope this isn't TMI, but the above papaya/pork soup is the #1 soup for lactating mothers.  :raz: Any chance you can do somebody a service?

:wacko: right!!!! definitiely TMI!!!

and no not awareof any lactating women in my social circle at teh moment!!!

I hope this isn't TMI, but the above papaya/pork soup is the #1 soup for lactating mothers.  :raz: Any chance you can do somebody a service?

I've never heard of the soup as being beneficial to lactating mothers. :huh:

I was taught that papaya soup was "gnoon fai", good for the lungs. My 95 year old mother insists on this soup especially in the winter. . . and she ain't lactating! :raz::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I was taught that papaya soup was "gnoon fai", good for the lungs.

This is what I heard too. Some Taiwanese friends use seeded unripe papaya with top lopped off as a vessel for double-boiling. Forgot what they put in the papaya, but supposedly the sap from the unripe papaya is the key ingredient.

My 95 year old mother insists on this soup especially in the winter. . . and she ain't lactating! :raz::laugh:

ROFL!!!!!

About the soup's milk inducing qualities, I kid you not. Been there, done that. :smile:

So, Origami, what did you end up doing with that papaya? Did you pickle it? Great pickle with chillies, vinegar and sugar.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

• 2 weeks later...

My 95 year old mother insists on this soup especially in the winter. . . and she ain't lactating! :raz::laugh:

ROFL!!!!!

About the soup's milk inducing qualities, I kid you not. Been there, done that. :smile:

So, Origami, what did you end up doing with that papaya? Did you pickle it? Great pickle with chillies, vinegar and sugar.

I didn't :hmmm:

Silly me put the papaya at the back of the fridge

by the time i got round to making something out of it half of it was frozen solid! managed to recover half of it and made a salad :raz:

strange how some threads develop

this one will be a must read for lactating mothers:blink: