• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Baked

sauceda

I'm inspired to share some successes (and failures) with baking/cooking, and don't see any topics on eGullet to that effect...tonight I made the Golden Syrup steamed pudding (on the last page of the "London" issue of Gourmet) to moderate success...boyfriend is a Brit, think I'll make it again when his mum comes to town (feeling braver by the bite)...would like to add some photos...how?

it's not necessarily in there, but if you ask, I'll tell you

I'm inspired to share some successes (and failures) with baking/cooking, and don't see any topics on eGullet to that effect...tonight I made the Golden Syrup steamed pudding (on the last page of the "London" issue of Gourmet) to moderate success...boyfriend is a Brit, think I'll make it again when his mum comes to town (feeling braver by the bite)...would like to add some photos...how?

Sauceda, That sounds good. I'll try that recipe as soon as I get the chance. I'm in pastry school and working so it may be next weekend. I have no idea how to post pictures. I'd like to know myself.

Woods

Hey, what's hot out of my oven today are Thyme Biscuits and Apple Thyme Jelly. I have to do an herb report for school and bring a tasting on Monday. I also tried a Lemon Thyme Sherbet, but figured that would be too hard to pre-portion and transport without it thawing. It's food production for the hot side, but pastry's in my blood so I had to pull off a baked good that shows Thyme in both sweet and savory applications. It's turning out to be a very cool project.

Plus it's my wife's birthday today, but I'll be in class tonight, so I made some heart-shaped chocolate-raspberry truffles this morning for her to enjoy tonight. I almost have that tempering thing down.

• 1 year later...

Bump...

Great idea to have a thread for what ever we have baked that doesn't fit nicely into the bread thread, the dessert thread, the dinner thread, the breakfast or lunch thread or the confectionary thread.

So here goes, here's what hot out of my oven today.

gallery_28661_3596_14425.jpg

These are cheese biscuits, but made with the cheese I smoked in my Bradley. It got a little warm and slumped, so it isn't pretty enough to serve, but it makes a damn fine biscuit.

Kerry - your biscuits look amazing - I am drooling

gini - I expressed deep love for your challah on the dinner thread.

Today I decided to cook two brownie recipes. Both are done. We'll taste them after dinner with a tall glass of milk (2% in honor of real brownies :laugh: ). The rest will go to Mr. Kim's office for a vote. I already know that I like A, because they are chewier (it's all about the chewiness with me for brownies).

Bump...

Great idea to have a thread for what ever we have baked that doesn't fit nicely into the bread thread, the dessert thread, the dinner thread, the breakfast or lunch thread or the confectionary thread.

So here goes, here's what hot out of my oven today.

gallery_28661_3596_14425.jpg

These are cheese biscuits, but made with the cheese I smoked in my Bradley.  It got a little warm and slumped, so it isn't pretty enough to serve, but it makes a damn fine biscuit.

Must have recipe. Please? :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

It got a little warm and slumped, so it isn't pretty enough to serve, but it makes a damn fine biscuit.

Oh come on! Those are plenty pretty to serve to anyone! :wub: Looks delicious.

It was the cheese that got warm and slumped in the smoker and wasn't pretty enough to serve. Here is a picture. I have no concerns about taking any baked food to work, they'll eat anything I bring. Hell they probably would have eaten this cheese.

gallery_34671_3458_122787.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta catch you up on what I've been baking this week now that I am able to post pictures.

gallery_34671_3697_10468.jpg

The pound cake I promised. It's a cherry pound cake, it was very tasty, but a tiny bit dry.

gallery_34671_3697_13018.jpg

Sticky buns, always a bit hit.

gallery_34671_3697_60069.jpg

The best brownies, you can't tell from looking at them how moist they are, but they are just barely baked and contain a huge amount of bittersweet chocolate.

gallery_34671_3697_9498.jpg

They are recruiting a new physician here in Little Current and they were having a little after dinner get togeher for her. I volunteered to make a couple of desserts. I made tiramisu, pavlova (I had 8 eggwhites sitting around waiting to get used up), blueberry buckle and this lovely dessert which is an expresso chocolate cake. You scoop out the middle, mix it with ganache and some finely ground espresso and pack it back in before covering with more ganache.