• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In search of a reasonably priced steakhouse

Swankalicious

Annie's Paramount in Dupont maybe.

Or, go to Firefly and get "Michael's Rib Eye Diablo". I believe that it's still on the menu. It's been too long since I've been in. :sad:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I would not be so quick to rule out Ray's the Steaks. If you are willing to dine during the "early shift" and arrive at 6:00 and be subject to the 90 minute rule, you can eat at Ray's just about any day you like on short notice. Or. alternatively, ask for a late reservation, say 8:30 or 9:00, then you can stay as long as you like. The hardest time to get is the popular 7:00 or 7:30 time slot. If you are willing to work around that, you can enjoy Ray's to your heart's content. And don't forget to order the scallops as an appetizer.

I like Sam and Harry's, though it's no Ray's. Despite the name, I've never thought of Annie's as a great steak place. Last time I went to Ruth's Chris it sucked.

You might try Les Halles, for the French fried take on a steakhouse, or even Bistro du Coin, though I think on an "on" night Les Halles is better and offers a larger beef selection.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Wonderful!!

I had a wager with another member of this board that someone would still manage to reccomend Ray's.

Not that there's anything wrong the advice mind you, i'm just happy to be up $10.

Edited by jmc8y (log)

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

Montmartre has a great hanger steak, but the restaurant is definitely not a steakhouse.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

I've always been partial to the steaks, especially the filet, from the Great American restaurants (Carlyle, Sweetwater Tavern, etc), but I don't see their restaurants discussed much on eGullet. Of course, at popular times it's a long wait to get a table.

I've always been partial to the steaks, especially the filet, from the Great American restaurants (Carlyle, Sweetwater Tavern, etc), but I don't see their restaurants discussed much on eGullet.  Of course, at popular times it's a long wait to get a table.

I went to Carlyle a few times when I lived in the Park Fairfax.

While decent-to-good, to me, it is easily one of the two or three most overrated restaurants in the DC area.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W