• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dogfish Head Brewery

Tweaked

I notice the first Dogfish Head Brewhouse in the DC area is to open in ... Silver Spring, Maryland. Man, with Ray's Classics down the road and good beer just around the corner, the Stretchman is going to be loving him some life. :laugh:

Edited by iamthestretch (log)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Dogfish Head has been one of the favorite places on Rehoboth Blvd. for years. Good grub, great beer...pretty good spirits, too! Der Brucer loves their hot rum and cider these winter months.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

The Dogfish 60 & 90 minute IPA are my favorite beers. Sam summered on Dogfish Head in Southport ME, I grew up a few mile from there and a couple years ago he came back and threw a huge party in Boothbay to introduce Dogfish beers to the area. Mmmmmmm tons of free Dogfish, it was a good time.

There's nothing wrong with their food philosophy either. From their Web site:

"We at Dogfish Head believe in using the freshest, healthiest ingredients we can obtain. For the past couple of years, we have searched to find certified organic farmers, local custom growers, and environmentally and socially responsible aggregate business people. It is unfortunate that these people are so rare because we are convinced that foods produced naturally not only impart exceptional flavor, they promote healthier living. Following is a list of some of the people we believe are doing a great job. We give them our full support and hope that you will, too!

Lewes Dairy supplies us with our dairy products from milk to butter.

Bob Russell, custom grower, supplies fresh herbs, lettuces, and vegetables from nearby Ellendale, DE.

Davidson Exotic Mushrooms provides portabella, shiitake, and enoki mushrooms as well as sun-dried tomatoes.

Oby Lee Coffee Roastery in Lewes provides the coffee for our restaurant and the Organic Mexican Coffee for our Chicory Stout."

Hopefully they'll do the same with suppliers in the DC area.

The Dogfish boys also invented a device they call the Randalizer, you tap the beer through a canister filled with fresh hops, imparting a extra hops kick to the beer...they have one at RFD.

I had the 90 minute through the Randalizer at the Oktoberfest in Shirlington.....WOW I can still taste the hops, spectacular!

I'd say it's a 50/50 proposition at best.

At least that's a better bet than our current choices like Cap City or Gordon Biersch, which are odds-on to blow chunks. :angry:

Word.

I've found you can do relatively well at District Chophouse. Taking into account all the local brewpubs, I think it has the best quality beer and food combo. Shame they haven't run Cask Two in years or I'd be there a hell of a lot more often.

The Dogfish boys also invented a device they call the Randalizer, you tap the beer through a canister filled with fresh hops, imparting a extra hops kick to the beer...they have one at RFD.

I believe it's actually called "Randall The Enamel Animal", and it does add a definite punch to many beers.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I'd say it's a 50/50 proposition at best.

At least that's a better bet than our current choices like Cap City or Gordon Biersch, which are odds-on to blow chunks. :angry:

Word.

I've found you can do relatively well at District Chophouse. Taking into account all the local brewpubs, I think it has the best quality beer and food combo. Shame they haven't run Cask Two in years or I'd be there a hell of a lot more often.

Now that Bill Madden has got most of the kinks sorted out, I'd say that Founders in Old Town has the best brews in the area. I'd agree that the food at District Chophouse is probably the best for a brewpub. I think the other RockBottom franchises(Arlington and Bethesda) have better beer though. (Although DC's Bourbon Stout is consistently good).

Edited by theakston (log)

Has anyone actually eaten at the Dominion Brewpub out in Ashburn? Their taps are the best in the area, in my opinion, but the last time I ate there (almost five years ago), the food left a whole lot to be desired.

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

Has anyone actually eaten at the Dominion Brewpub out in Ashburn? Their taps are the best in the area, in my opinion, but the last time I ate there (almost five years ago), the food left a whole lot to be desired.

The food is very mediocre. Eat at Wegman's, then go drink.

Chris Sadler

Or, better yet, you could all come over to Rehoboth Beach to try the ORIGINAL Dogfish Head location first, and then use that as a comparison for the new joints!

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

You can find DFH all over the place in D.C. now. Whole Foods generally has a decent selection of the common stuff, but I've actually found Cairo Liquors on 17th across from the Soviet Safeway to have the best selection in town (albeit not is mass quantities). They have singles of World Wide Stout, 120 Minute IPA, and they had a couple cases of Pangaea when it was released. That place is a little gem. Whole Foods in Glover Park also does well. They had Burton Baton a couple weeks ago. I'll be VERY excited when I can get the unbottled releases on tap in D.C. though ...

In Chevy Chase, both Magruders and Chevy Chase Liquor are good bets for finding the whole range of Dogfish potables.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I've had Dogfish on tap at Hard Times Cafe.  Nice brew.

Any word on where in Silver Spring they will be locating?  The redeveloped Ellsworth Ave section would be my guess, but I was wondering if anyone had the scoop.

I think you're probably right. They're targeting a June opening, though, so that new construction where the old parking garage used to be is going to have to be pretty speedy if that's the case.

WARNING:

Don't get the Dogfish 60 minute IPA on tap at the Birchmere. The lines must be so dirty it didn't even come close to tasting right...Absolutely nasty. Anyone reading from the Birchmere......please clean your lines!