• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Money No Object in Vancouver

*Deborah*

Well, Lumière is closed until April for renos, but my uncle the partner in the big American law firm is coming to town in a few weeks with some Japanese clients.

I am guessing they will want to exercise their JCB and American Express cards pretty enthusiastically, and I am guessing French is likely their cuisine of choice.

Aside from West, Le Gavroche and Le Crocodile, are there other restaurants I should recommend? and which Japanese restaurant would be nice?

I am not sure how long they will be here, but I would like to have a half-dozen or so impeccable recommendations for the very high-end stuff, and then I can also recommend a few places that I have been myself...:raz:

Thanks in advance!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Big shots seem to enjoy Gotham Steakhouse although it doesn't do much for me.

Tojo's is my favorite Japanese place, and you can tell them about how Martha Stewart profiled the place for her TV show, and went behind the counter and made some rolls. :)

I like all your choices West, Le Gavroche and Le Crocodile. I guess I might add C for seafood in a lovely setting.

/I moved from Vancouver to Florida last summer. I miss all the great restaurants!!

/Hooray for Rob Feenie! Woo wooo!!!

I know that Tojo's is a big big favorite - but I have always liked Okada more for their sushi. Less showy and top notch ingredients. Neither Tojo's or Okada have particularly beautiful settings. (I really think that Tojo should spend some dough and renovate.

In terms of big gun's dining - what about Chartwell's. I have never been but have read good things - but it is not brought up in this forum too often.

Why not Cantonese? There some really top notch restaurants in Vancouver: The Kirin is always good and the service is excellent (and they are used to dealing with Japanese tourists), Sun Sui Wah, and the old East Ocean on West Broadway (below Tojo's). The Cantonese take on seafoods appeals to the Japanese palatte but may be challenging for an American.

Hope this helps.

I think they may well eat at Chartwell since they will likely stay at the Four Seasons.

I'm not counting out any type of food, really! I'm just not sure for how long they'll be here, so French is likely to be high on the list for them. But bring on anything!

Agenda-free since 1966.

I think you can still live large at Diva at the Met as well, it is one of my old favorites.

I agree with Tojo's, my last business related outing there was with high level execs from the company I work for and bottles of the "Tojo's private vintage" sake at $200 a pop were being ordered like bottles of water. :blink:

CinCin is also classy. Morton's beats all other steakhouses for it's extravagance (there is something wrong with a $10 baked potato) but it is an American chain so they may not be that interested.

Don't forget Bishop's either.

Or you can always make Neil's day and send them to HSG :smile:

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

I think steak houses and hotels would probably bore them if they travel a lot. I'd recommend places that do well in representing Vancouver, such as:

- West

- Bishops

- Raincity

- C Restaurant

- Coast

If they're having more than one meal, I'd recommend a fun option such as:

- Feenie's

- Chambar

- Wild Rice

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

For Japanese clients, I think they would prefer seafood over steak, especially being here on the West Coast. So, I would probably choose C Restaurant over Gotham. Perhaps even suggest a fancy Chinese seafood banquet - Imperial Seafood or Sun Sui Wah.

For Japanese food, I would recommend Yoshi on Denman or Chiyoda over Tojo's for Japanese clients. I don't see a lot of Japanese businessmen at Tojo's - they are not the usual "Tojo's clientele".

But if your uncle's Japanese clients are living and working in the States and have been for a while, then you can disregard my comments. In addition to West, Le Crocodile, Le Gavroche, how about Il Giardino?

Damn Internet Exploder! :angry:

I lost a good post there...thanks everyone for the ideas. :smile:

They're senior execs with a HUGE corporation, so yeah, Vancouver-style rather than steakhouse I think is the way to go. I had wondered about Chambar, but I will mention it and Feenie's to my uncle.

Agenda-free since 1966.

I think steak houses and hotels would probably bore them if they travel a lot. I'd recommend places that do well in representing Vancouver, such as:

- West

- Bishops

- Raincity

- C Restaurant

- Coast

If they're having more than one meal, I'd recommend a fun option such as:

- Feenie's

- Chambar

- Wild Rice

Good call on C. I love Chambar - but the noise level can get insane. What about Lift? - some friends from NY went for drinks and nibbles and really liked it. I have not been myself - but it looks like a great setting. Not sure what those walls of glass are like at night. I think that Andrew has been - no?

Let's not forget the old standby's - Joe Forte's and Il Giardino there's a good reason they've been around as long as they have. Plus the 3 Tier Seafood Tower at Joe's never fails to bring out the cameras from Japanese guests.

Edited by 2roost (log)

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Hey, if money is seriously no object, I could double the price of gingerbread !

Let me know :biggrin:

really, if they have more money than God and want to part with it, take them to Cioppino's and let Pino have his way with them. $20,000 should do it !

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Hey, if money is seriously no object, I could double the price of gingerbread !

Let me know  :biggrin:

really, if they have more money than God and want to part with it, take them to Cioppino's and let Pino have his way with them. $20,000 should do it !

$20,000 should be just about right for a magnum each of the '76 Richebourg and La Tache that they have in their cellar at Cioppino's. My clients from Japan love old world Burgundies. :wink:

Oh come on Neil...I've eaten there for $450 and had a great time! (2 people)

I have a friend who got "pino - lized" for $14,000 for one bottle of armagnac, not to mention the 4 bottles of $1000 wine with dinner. That is just the beverages, not the food. Like I said, $20,000 could do it.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Well, Lumière is closed until April for renos, but my uncle the partner in the big American law firm is coming to town in a few weeks with some Japanese clients.

I am guessing they will want to exercise their JCB and American Express cards pretty enthusiastically, and I am guessing French is likely their cuisine of choice.

Aside from West, Le Gavroche and Le Crocodile, are there other restaurants I should recommend? and which Japanese restaurant would be nice?

I am not sure how long they will be here, but I would like to have a half-dozen or so impeccable recommendations for the very high-end stuff, and then I can also recommend a few places that I have been myself...:raz:

Thanks in advance!

I would pick West, Le Crocodile for the best French over the others mentioned. I agree, Lumiere would be another choice if they weren't renovating the kitchen.

For Japanese, this is trickier as you have a bunch of those funky restaurants such as Wabi Sabi, Chopsticks, En, or you can have good fish at reasonable prices but boring setting such as Okada, Kiyo or Tama Sushi. Personally, Tojo's does absolutely nothing for me.

Other considerations:

Cioppino or il Giardino - If they want Italian. The former you can really get ripped and the latter, nicer atmosphere without the noisy open kitchen. If they can't decide between Italian and Japanese, they can consider Enoteca which is next to Cioppino. Bluewater Café claims to offer something similar but I haven't been there recently. I'm not a fan of Restaurant C.

Cin Cin's is also quite nice if they want to eat somewhere on Robson Street. Parking can be a pain though.

Kirin on Alberni - they have those $100 per head seafood sampler which is ok, quite presentable and stress free ordering for Chinese food. Your uncle can pick up a nice bottle of wine from the liquor store a block away and open it at Kirin without paying corkage.

Five Sails - They may like the 'grand' formal setting with the view. Good place to go if it rains and indoor parking is important.

Another interesting stopover may be a pre-dinner smoke at La Casa del Habano. Your uncle can pick up some Cuban cigars while everyone can smoke indoor, something rare in Vancouver. In fact, if you know the people well, they'll even let you... (PM me).

Edited by mangez (log)

I've been in the position of both hosting Japanese clients and accompanying Japanese executives on business trips to Vancouver. (I lived in Japan for six years and worked for Japanese firms for eight.)

Unless they specifically ask for French/Italian food, your safest bet would be to take them to a high-end Chinese restaurant. Second choice would be Japanese (never as good as they can get at home, but still a good choice for the weary traveler).

A seafood restaurant would also be appealing for Japanese travelers.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Charter a helicopter before sunset, and take them up to the Bear Foot Bistro in Whistler. Limo ride back down after dark.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Thanks in advance!

If the Japanese visitors need translation on any of the French/Italian menus, we can have our Japanese students do the translation ahead of time for them! Just ask.