• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly restaurants

hazardnc

MY SO will be in Philly next month (for 3 nights) and wants some restaurant suggestions. Right now, I am looking at Django, Le Bec-Fin and Morimoto. He would also appreciate some not-too-expensive suggestions as well as he will be on a per diem.

What do you e-gulleteers recommend?

Where is THE best cheese steak?

Rather than Le Bec-Fin, he might think about Lacroix. The food is equally good (if not better) and it's a little bit cheaper. The service isn't as over the top as LBF, but it's still great.

The best cheesesteak is a closely held secret, released only to a select few who undergo an extensive initiation rite. But I'd recommend Tony Luke's. And if he wants to be a really cool kid, tell him to skip the cheesesteak and head for the roast pork with greens and aged provolone.

That's assuming he has a car: otherwise, tell him to head to the Reading Terminal Market for lunch, and get a roast pork at Tommy DiNic's. He should also be sure to eat a hoagie while he's here.

For a third night (assuming LBF/Lacroix and Django) there are lots of other options. Would he want to further sample the world of Philadelphia BYOB's? On the cheaper side, there are a ton of ethnic offerings. I'd recommend Rangoon, on the edge of Chinatown: it's absolutely terrific food, and it's not like the east coast is saturated with Burmese restaurants.

Where will he be coming from? For example, if he's coming from a city with a paucity of good Italian restaurants (highly unlikely, I admit), then a trip to South Philly is in order, either for red gravy for more sophisticated fare.

If he's from the Heartland and doesn't often have access to good seafood, well, then a visit to Sansom Street Oyster House would be in order. It's essential if he's an oyster lover.

Especially if he's going to be staying in Center city, I'd say the Reading Terminal Market is a must-stop (but then again, I always do) for breakfast and/or lunch. There are only a handful of cities in North America that can match the RTM. And certainly you'd be hard-pressed to find another place to order scrapple as your breakfast side dish (Down Home Diner or the Dutch Eating Place). In addition to Tommy DiNic's for roast pork, other RTM establishments worth checking out: Salumeria for hoagies (get the house dressing and pay extra for artichokes), Pizza by George for one of the city's better by-the-slice pizzas, Down Home Diner, Nanee's Kitchen (the new Pakistani stand), 12th Street Cantina, Delilah's (get the chicken), or even just a bowl of duck or roast pork soup with noodle at Sang Kee. Normal hours at the RTM are 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Mon-Sat., though a number of stands will be open Sunday and later during the annual flower show in eary March. Check out Reading Terminal Market's website for details on the extended hours.

Likewise, a stroll through the Italian market (Ninth Street north two or three blocks Washington) is always worthwhile. A tripe sandwich at George's. A slice of Sicilian pizza from Sarcone's Bakery (if they haven't sold out). A fresh-filled canolli or sfogliatelle from Isgro's. For red gravy Italian, hard to go wrong with Villa di Roma in the heart of the market. And visits to DiBruno's and Claudio's for cheeses and Italian delicacies are absolutely essential, especially Claudio's new fresh mozzarella facility.

So much to do, so little time!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Is there a decent Moroccan resto in Philly?

There's Marrakesh for the fairly trad set-menu multi-course thing. it's just off of South Street, pretty easy to get to.

Only a few blocks away on South 2nd street is Fez which was quite good the last time i was there, although for some reason I haven't been back for a couple of years. They do a multi-course set diner, or you can just order a la carte.

But if it doesn't blow his per diem, I really like Tangerinewhich is not traditional, it's more Moroccan-influenced fusion cuisine, although they make a heck of a tagine.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

There's Marrakesh for the fairly trad set-menu multi-course thing. it's just off of South Street, pretty easy to get to.

Only a few blocks away on South 2nd street is Fez which was quite good the last time i was there, although for some reason I haven't been back for a couple of years. They do a multi-course set diner, or you can just order a la carte.

But if it doesn't blow his per diem, I really like Tangerinewhich is not traditional, it's more Moroccan-influenced fusion cuisine, although they make a heck of a tagine.

I've consistently found the food to be better at Fez, than at Marrakesh, so if a Morroccan stop is required I'd go there. Tangerine is a bit more like eating in a trendy opium den, but the food is very good, if not as traditional.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Where will he be coming from? For example, if he's coming from a city with a paucity of good Italian restaurants (highly unlikely, I admit), then a trip to South Philly is in order, either for red gravy for more sophisticated fare.

If he's from the Heartland and doesn't often have access to good seafood, well, then a visit to Sansom Street Oyster House would be in order. It's essential if he's an oyster lover.

Especially if he's going to be staying in Center city, I'd say the Reading Terminal Market is a must-stop (but then again, I always do) for breakfast and/or lunch. There are only a handful of cities in North America that can match the RTM. And certainly you'd be hard-pressed to find another place to order scrapple as your breakfast side dish (Down Home Diner or the Dutch Eating Place).

We're in Charlotte, NC, and while we don't have scrapple on the menu here, we do have livermush!

Thanks for the suggestions. He is a BIG oyster fan, so Sansoms is probaby worth a stop.

We're in Charlotte, NC, and while we don't have scrapple on the menu here, we do have livermush!

Thanks for the suggestions.  He is a BIG oyster fan, so Sansoms is probaby worth a stop.

Your best bet is probably SSOH's happy hour. Then you can supplement the special with whatever other oysters you like.

What kinds of seafood aren't available in Charlotte?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Thanks for the suggestions.  He is a BIG oyster fan, so Sansoms is probaby worth a stop.

Your best bet is probably SSOH's happy hour. Then you can supplement the special with whatever other oysters you like.

Thanks for the plug, Herb. Hazardnc, tell your SO to feel free to ask for me when he stops by here. I'm in every day except Saturdays. Happy Hour is 5-7PM daily, including the weekends.

Which dates will he be in? The week of 3/14-3/20 is The Book and the Cook, a city wide event pairing cookbook authors from all over with various restaurants here in the city. It's a fantastic event for foodies, so if he's here that week he could really have a great time and possibly try some foods that might not normally be available to us natives either.

Let me know if I can help any other way.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

It's almost easier to ask what seafood IS available in Charlotte :biggrin:

Actually, we can get Hog Island and Malpeque oysters at one or two restaurants on occassion. And, of course, we can get oysters from the Carolina coast in season (which is now). But we do not have access to the variety of oysters I saw on the menu at SSOH.

Thanks for the plug, Herb. Hazardnc, tell your SO to feel free to ask for me when he stops by here. I'm in every day except Saturdays. Happy Hour is 5-7PM daily, including the weekends

Thanks, Ms. Loeb - I will tell him that.

He actually leaves a couple of days before the Book and the Cook event - he was a bit bummed by that.

I am jealous - wish I could go to Philly, too!

How about checking out Bookbinders. It just reopened and really has always been a historic restaurant staple in Phila. I know the place is enourmous and so far I have heard good things. Hope this helps.

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

How about checking out Bookbinders.  It just reopened and really has always been a historic restaurant staple in Phila.  I know the place is enourmous and so far I have heard good things.  Hope this helps.

The new Old Original Bookbinder's is much smaller than the old Old Original Bookbinder's. It's also brighter, judging from the one photo of the place I've seen, though there's still plenty of semi-dark wood.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Marakesh, Marakesh, Marakesh. This place is great 20$ for all 5-7 courses. Need reservations, located at the low numbers on south street. Lithegow st?You knock on the door to get in to the place. All the tables are near to the ground and you get the authentic eating with your hands moroccan feel.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - the So has been in Philly for 2 nights - first night, he had his co-worker hit Geno's (the tourist trap!) for cheese steaks. I tried to tell him what you guys said but he just had to have one!

Last night was dinner at Morimoto's. Starters were Rock Shrimp Tempura and I believe a crab roll with caviar - the latter was sublime according to the SO.

Entrees were eight spice lobster and Seafood Toban Yaki. The SO said, while these dishes were good, they weren't especially impressive. I think, for us, we expect to be really wowed when the price of dinner for two tops $200. He did say the atmospere was incredible - vibrant. Morimoto was sitting at the sushi bar.

So, he has today's lunch and dinner and tomorrow's lunch before he flies back to Charlotte. He plans to go to SSOH tonight to at least get a dozen oysters and some drinks before going to dinner. He said hewalked by Django the other night, and that it was full - but also very small, so probably too hard to get a table.

Where should he go for a lunch experience that beats Geno's - does not have to be a cheese steak. He is staying and working downtown. How about after-oysters dinner options?

He plans to go to SSOH tonight to at least get a dozen oysters and some drinks before going to dinner.

Cool! I'll be in until around 7PM so I hope he makes it before then and has a chance to ask for me. I'd love to say hello and chat with him about other dining options.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

He plans to go to SSOH tonight to at least get a dozen oysters and some drinks before going to dinner.

Cool! I'll be in until around 7PM so I hope he makes it before then and has a chance to ask for me. I'd love to say hello and chat with him about other dining options.

Hello Katie! We may crash happy hour in a few minutes if you don't mind. We are in Philly to have dinner with our son and his girlfriend. As always, you are a font of info on the Philly dining scene! :biggrin:

The SO missed you, Ms. Loeb - he didn't get to SSOH until 7:30-ish. He wanted me to relay that he received excellent service - he sat at the bar. I wish I could remember the name given, but the server did a great job and the SO said the oysters were excellent! Someday, maybe he will take me to Philly so I can visit your place

The SO missed you, Ms. Loeb - he didn't get to SSOH until 7:30-ish. He wanted me to relay that he received excellent service - he sat at the bar.  I wish I could remember the name given, but the server did a great job and the SO said the oysters were excellent!  Someday, maybe he will take me to Philly so I can visit your place

Sorry I missed him too. I had a prior obligation or I would have stuck around. But I'm delighted he enjoyed the service and the oysters. I'll send his kudos to the staff from last night. It's always nice to know it's going well when I'm not around.

Definitely convince him to bring you up here for a visit! There's lots to see and a whole mess of good eats. My fellow PA forum Philly Pholks and I would be happy to be your tour guides!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!