• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese cuisines that haven't travelled abroad

Pan

As immigrants from Fujian make up a disproportionate element of mainland immigration to Europe, North America and elsewhere, it's also perhaps surprising that Fujianese food hasn't caught on as a big trend yet.

in Britain, it tends to be Cantonese and more Cantonese. Not very inspired.

Well, you mistook my meaning. I don't say Cantonese food in itself is uninspired. But the fact that 90 per cent of Chinese restaurants in England serve Cantonese food - often not very good - points to either a lack of inspiration or a dearth of cooking skills. As for its catering to so-called "gweilo" taste, we gweilos don't write the menus. My personal experience of eating Chinese in England has been that it's rarely worth the cost or the bother, and I certainly don't go for the service. Then again, I'm not that enthralled with what's on offer in Hong Kong either - at the cheap end of the spectrum. When cooks here learn to rely less on tasteless, gluey cornstarch, I'll learn to enjoy the food more. Until then, I'll do my real eating in Taipei and Guangzhou.

Sorry. Yep, I did misinterpret you statement on "uninspired Cantonese" cooking. Although, I have never eaten Chinese food in England, I really can't comment on your impressions. But, I have many friends and relatives who are living or have lived there, and they would agree with your comments - generally.

I do love Kenneth Lo and Deh Ta Hsiung's works though. (Hsiung(Mandarin)=Hong(Cantonese)=Kuma(Jap.)=Bear. He is a member of our very small, well dispersed clan)