• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Group dinner/discussion - any ideas?

butterfern

Since you folks did such a good job finding a brunch locale for Rooneytunes, I thought I'd solicit suggestions for a similar situation. I help organize a monthly dinner discussion sponsored by Philadelphia Cares. We try to visit a different Center City restaurant each month, and are always looking for new ideas. Here are the specs:

- Approximately 20 people

- Event is on a Friday, generally at 6:30 PM

- $25-30/person inclusive of tax and tip. Beverages are extra, although some places have included coffee or soft drinks.

- 3 courses with 2-3 entree choices, including a veggie option. Appetizer and dessert can be simple (e.g. salad, ice cream)

Places we've gone in the past include Astral Plane, London Grill, Wok, and Abraccio. Any ideas for places we should try in the future?

More info about the event is available at:

http://www.philadelphiacares.org/citacad/friday.htm

Many thanks!

Joseph Poon (before he closes it)

Thai restaurant at 5th & Bainbridge (almost any Thai restaurant above 50 seats could probably do it, I just picked that one because I suspect their business isn't up to par yet, I do wonder about their food)

also the new Thai restaurant on 11th just north of Arch

what about Lemon Grass (Lancaster west of 36th)

Sazon the new Venezuelan place at 10th and Spring Garden

(not sure if they'd be willing, as you might crowd out other customers)

Siam Lotus, 2 doors down from Sazon

Samba the Brazilian place at 8th and Girard

Ms. Tootsie's the soul food place on South between 12th and 13th

Jamaican Jerk Hut between Broad and 15th (wait until beginning of April, when it's not so cold so the dining room probably expands to include the backyard, yet it's not so popular as in June)

Mama Palma's at 23rd and Spruce

I'm not sure if some of these places would be willing, but I suspect they'd be more willing than some other places I can think of.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Joseph Poon (before he closes it)

Thai restaurant at 5th & Bainbridge (almost any Thai restaurant above 50 seats could probably do it, I just picked that one because I suspect their business isn't up to par yet, I do wonder about their food)

also the new Thai restaurant on 11th just north of Arch

what about Lemon Grass (Lancaster west of 36th)

Sazon the new Venezuelan place at 10th and Spring Garden

(not sure if they'd be willing, as you might crowd out other customers)

Siam Lotus, 2 doors down from Sazon

Samba the Brazilian place at 8th and Girard

Ms. Tootsie's the soul food place on South between 12th and 13th

Jamaican Jerk Hut between Broad and 15th (wait until beginning of April, when it's not so cold so the dining room probably expands to include the backyard, yet it's not so popular as in June)

Mama Palma's at 23rd and Spruce

I'm not sure if some of these places would be willing, but I suspect they'd be more willing than some other places I can think of.

Ms. Tootsie's is at 1314 South St., and is closed while under construction to expand it.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

What about Cibucan at 20th and Sansom? I have not lived in Philadelphia for a few years, but I think it is still open. They have an upstairs area they may be able to reserve for you and pretty good food.

I have been browsing this section of egullet to reminisce about my time in Philadelphia and find it a much better forum than my current location (Boston) and my future location (NYC). So thanks for being such a great place to visit!

Welcome Butterfern and elicious!

Not sure if they can stay within budget, but The White Dog Cafe has several dining rooms, some of which would be appropriate size for your group.

Tough to do on a Friday night when the restaurant could undoubtedly turn the seats your group is in twice in the time it takes for your discussion.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Welcome Butterfern and elicious!

Not sure if they can stay within budget, but The White Dog Cafe has several dining rooms, some of which would be appropriate size for your group.

Tough to do on a Friday night when the restaurant could undoubtedly turn the seats your group is in twice in the time it takes for your discussion.

Not to speak for the White Dog, but I've occasionally commandeered the piano bar when dropping in with an ungainly crowd, even without notice. The friday night timeframe could be tricky, but if you could promise to be out by a specific time they might give you that room, or downstairs, which is not always open. You're showing up early enough that the piano bar might not be in action yet.

Their main menu is a bit out of your price range, and I don't know if they'd do a custom menu for you, but you could ask if they'd allow you to order from the bar menu. There are some nice choices there, sandwiches, salads, etc. plenty for the veggies. That menu has some of my favorite things, and its reasonably priced. Who knows, maybe they do this kind of thing all the time and have a group menu ready to go.

It's worth asking.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Ms. Tootsie's is at 1314 South St., and is closed while under construction to expand it.

Okay, that one's out.

What about Cibucan at 20th and Sansom? I have not lived in Philadelphia for a few years, but I think it is still open. They have an upstairs area they may be able to reserve for you and pretty good food.

It's worth asking but my gut tells me they'll say no.

It's probably popular enough a place that they think they'll do more business during that period

Yea, I agree. Say hi to Janice and other PhilaCares people for me.

Fork now has an absolutely beautiful private dining room. It's in the back of the new store next to the restaurant.

I know Fork might be above your price range, but give it a try!

Worth a shot, but my gut tells me no. If possible try for the Friday before a poular 3-day vacationing weekend.

My suggestions were based on:

restaurants not in the main parts of Center City or Old City

restaurants that have been open for a few years, and who haven't recently renovated, IE those that don't have huge bills that they they've just started paying

Fork's private room might work because it's been designated as such, although the price point is a problem.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Check out Bookbinders for private parties, I know the place is huge and it just reopened after a complete overhaul. It's a Philly staple so it's worth a look. I just posted this same response for another thread thinking I was responding to this one. I'm a little goofy today... :blink:

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!