• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lime flavored colas

alacarte

I am pretty sure that they only make the diet version. I had a couple of sips last night when my wife showed up with a can. It wasn't bad-I liked the lime taste, in fact I prefer it over Diet COke (not saying much there though, as I don't like diet coke much-but I do LOVE regular coke).

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Gotta vote for Pepsi. Although the Diet Coke and lime does sound worth a try. I'm sure Pepsi will come up with one soon. Not a fan of their lemon one though.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I'm still slugging on the same bottle of DC with Lime. It tastes a helluva lot better when it's cold...the warmer it gets, the more it tastes like just plain old diet soda (yuk!).

After 4 hours??? What did you buy, the 2 gallon jug? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I am pretty sure that they only make the diet version. I had a couple of sips last night when my wife showed up with a can. It wasn't bad-I liked the lime taste, in fact I prefer it over Diet COke (not saying much there though, as I don't like diet coke much-but I do LOVE regular coke).

Ditto. If it was a choice between the Diet Coke with Lime and regular DC, I'd definitely pick the lime version, but if there was regular Coke available it'd be the first choice.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

I'm still slugging on the same bottle of DC with Lime. It tastes a helluva lot better when it's cold...the warmer it gets, the more it tastes like just plain old diet soda (yuk!).

After 4 hours??? What did you buy, the 2 gallon jug? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

This one? :wink:

Edited by theakston (log)

That surprises me, because the Diet Coke with Lemon is horrible (and I love regular Diet Coke) -- it was like drinking a diet cola while inhaling Lemon Pledge.

I too have a lot of trouble believing it's any good. DC with Lemon is one of the true monstrosities of science, and I have trouble believing that the Lime could be much better.

And yeah... if Pepsi does a "Pepsi Twist Lime" or something, it will totally kick Coke's ass. Look at the track record, they've done it with both the Twist Lemon product and their Vanilla product.

Just to be clear, in not-diet versions I much prefer Coke over Pepsi.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Speaking of flavored drinks-has anyone had a Barq's Vanilla Float? I don't know if they are selling it off of the Gulf Coast, but it is a GREAT flavored version of their already pretty damn tasty regular product.

I ignored it thinking that it would be like Vanilla Coke which in my opinion is awful, but my children kept buying them every time they had the chance (which is not very often as they don't get too many soft drinks, we never have them at home)and I finally tried it and have to admit that it is really good. It tastes pretty much like a root beer float is supposed to.

Root Beer Floatz

edited to add link to bevenet.com

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 2 weeks later...

I was really surprised too, but this is really good for a diet coke - my new favorite of all the lines (cherry is a close second). I have yet to try the diet pepsi vanilla or lemon, but I can't stand the coke version of these flavors.

I do, however, find myself drinking the Coke w/ lime and thinking, damn this needs some rum in it! :smile:

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

-- Aristophanes (450 BC - 388 BC)

Finally tried the stuff today.

Can you say artificial flavor? I am a big fan of DC with fresh lime, but all I tasted were chemicals. I've never had that reaction with the lemon or vanilla. Something about the lime just didn't taste right.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Went through a six pack of this in the last week (I only saw cans). It's good for Diet Coke (the lime works better than the horrible lemon pledge taste of the Lemon version), but as before I'm waiting for Pepsi to inevitably come out with a superior product.

Also, I agree with the "cold" comment. That's near universal with coke products anyway.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

It's all about the Pepsi vs. the Coke. Take sides and stand waaaaaaaaaaaay

back 'cause people have opinions. I like coke in all it's forms because Pepsi

tastes watery and weak to me. I won't drink it at all. I'm sure you have your

own opinions as well. :smile:

Melissa

I think someone said something similar recently on another thread, but as far as Coke goes, I too vastly prefer the Mexican (and Dominican) formulation over the US one. Actually the Mexican formulation of Pepsi is damn good too.

You can usually find them in "Bodegas" or latin-american grocery stores. In actual Coke bottles with crown caps, too.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm drinking the Diet Coke with Lime right now, jazzed up just a tad with the addition of some Dogfish Head Wit Spiced Rum. Makes for a very tasty cocktail.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm a Pepsi One fan for cola, my fav though is Diet Canada Dry Ginger Ale.

I tried the Diet Coke Lime because it was on sale 20 oz for 89 cents and I was thirsty. It wasn't bad, but I have a personal problem with all lime (sometimes lemon pre-flavored drinks. When we were kids the sick stomach remedy prescribed by our family doc was something we came to call "green medicine". It had a citrusy-lime flavor, and everything I drink which is lime-flavored (unless I add it fresh myself) brings back the taste of that medicine and the sick feeling I always had while swallowing it.

• 3 weeks later...
I think it tastes like the devil's sweat. Nasty, nasty stuff. I do love rum and coke with lime juice, but gah! This was wrong. I'll stick to the Diet Cherry Coke.

The devil's sweat? That's just too funny.

Melissa

I tried this a few weeks ago and thought it was horrible. It had a weird aftertaste that brought back distant memories of the old saccharine sweetened colas. I had tried the lemon version and thought it was OK.

Anyone looking closely will see that the lemon/lime versions use different sweeteners, a blend of aspartame and acesulfame, than regular diet Coke, which uses straight aspartame. A friend of mine in the food industry who knows a bit about this told me that some people have taste issues with acesulfame and Coke may be trying it in these products because the citrus helps to mask the taste.

• 11 months later...

I just spotted Coke with Lime (the new non-Diet version) it at Target, in a relatively expensive single serving bottle, but I stupidly assumed my local supermarkets might have it as well and so didn't buy it at the time. Has anyone tried it yet? Does it live up to the Diet version--which in my opinion is pretty much the ONLY Coke product extension to work in the past decade or so?

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"