• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Get Out Your Handkerchiefs

jamiemaw

And for a family treat, the Dragon Inn on Kingsway and Willingdon. I'd lay money down no one remembers that!

Oh, we remember all right! Check out this thread for a stroll down memory lane.

Jello with a whipped-cream puck anyone?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

And for a family treat, the Dragon Inn on Kingsway and Willingdon. I'd lay money down no one remembers that!

Who could forget that sign? etched in my memory forever.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I ordered delivery from there during the blizzard of '96. I think that was right before they closed that location. I think it closed just a few weeks after that. Ah yes, memories.

Edited because I had to add, the Dragon Inn was the only restaurant open during the blizzard and my boyfriend at the time had absolutely no food in the house, I think I spent an hour on the phone trying to find someplace in Burnaby that was actually open. The food was absolutely horrific and I there was something really wrong with it, something that made me almost vomit and phone them to get my money back. I can't for the life of me remember what happened.

As for the Rickshaw, when I was in Brownies and Guides we used have these Mother Daughter group dinners and every year they would be held at the Rickshaw for the Buffet. I remember begging my mom not to go. I didn't want to be subjected to the food even at that young age.

There was one Chinese restaurant in Delta that was legendary. Shum's. God how I miss that place. Absolutely nothing has come close to equaling and I've got some pretty good restaurants nearby. I always get teary eyed when I drive by the location on Scott Road, it's now the Delta Assist office. Since it closed 7 years ago it's been 2 Indian restaurants and a vacant lot. To this day, you can't get decent Chinese in Delta.

Edited by peppyre (log)

OMG! Hope nobody holds me to that

"lay money down" comment. Thanks for the

redirect to the other thread. I'd forgotten about

the jello! I remember as a kid sneaking in with

a buddy and stealing coins from the fountain near

the front door. That fountain! I thought it was all

so exotic!

And the Rickshaw! Good lord! You know how

rumours can stick with you? There was one going

around at the time that they served cat meat

and I never went back. I also got suckered into

shunning Labatt's Blue because of talk of what

the employees did into the vats when management

made things difficult during raise negotiations...

I was reading another thread that mentioned Delilah's,

so I guess it's still in biz?

Just remembered the name of the Swiss place -

William Tell.

I was reading another thread that mentioned Delilah's,

so I guess it's still in biz?

Just remembered the name of the Swiss place -

William Tell.

Delilah's still exists, now on Comox St.

The William Tell still exists, still run by Mr. Erwin Dobeil, now in the Coast Georgian Court Hotel. It's still good, although culinary fashions have moved on. Amazing to think that at one time, that was arguably Vancouver's classiest restaurant.

Neil, Papillotte was a block or two down from Ontario, I think @ Manitoba, on the NE corner. The same building is still there, it's an outdoor store now.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

My mom had another memory of both the Dragon Inn and the Rickshaw. She had several instances of food poisoning thanks to the Rickshaw and my Grandpa used to take the family to the Dragon Inn for special occasion meals. When it came time to order, he made sure that the table had some of that "coloured" wine!

There was also a Dragon Inn at the corner of Kingsway and Slocan, at the corner where 33rd hits Kingsway. I think the building is still there and it's always been a Chinese restaurant.

Wasn't there also a Rickshaw near the corner of Kingsway and Nanaimo, right next to where the Gulf Oil gas station was or is this the one people are referring to?

Someone left the cake out in the rain ...

Now... what was the name of the restaurant that Ecco Il Pane used to run where Feenie's now resides? It's on the tip of my tongue.... argh
The restaurant at Ecco was Bolette.

Boleto, I think...I had some FABulous calves' liver there once.

Thank you... Boleto it was. I wonder what happend there, it seemed to be so hopping, especially at lunch.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

The Rickshaw is in the heart of Whalley.  It's on King George Highway.

There was a Rickshaw in Burnaby, near Imperial & Kingsway. I think it's a Mr. Ho's Wonton House now :huh:

Dragaon Inn was also near the corner of Hastings & Willingdon ... it was the only "ethnic" food my Danish Grandmother would eat.

A.

How about Penny Lane?  There was one on Robson Street ... upstairs where Malone's is/was (can't remember what's there now) ... and they also had one in Kelowna.  First place I ever had curly-fries!

A.

Pennylane!!! I was trying to think of that yesterday, I remeber always going there, sitting on the patio and ordering milkshakes and fries and drawing on the the table... aahh the memories :laugh:

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

My understanding of the reason for the demise of Boletto is that there was a divorce and the 2 businesses were split (Ecco and Boletto). She got the bakery, he got the bistro and it closed not too long afterward.

Yes, I think that is right. Although I think he continued to make bread and I believe still sells bread at the Farmer's Market.

Cheers,

Anne

Papillotte

Okay Jamie. This is driving me nuts. For the life of me, I can't remember where Papillotte was located. My Mom and I used to dine there quite regularly.

As I recall it was on West Broadway near Cambie.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Papillotte went under because of their failed "chicken concept restaurant" Reds, the Papillotte space was taken over by Randy Dufour (ex Cannery now with Vincor) and run as Dufour and Co. for a while.

Has anyone mentioned Vancouver's original "Cougar Bar" Mama Gold's ? As I recall Bruno Born worked the stove there before opening Zeppo's.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Has anyone mentioned Vancouver's original "Cougar Bar" Mama Gold's ?

I remember Mama Gold's - on Yew right? Was it a Cougar Bar? I would have been far too young and self-absorbed to have picked up on that.

Cheers,

Anne

Way long time ago (15 years maybe) my family and I were god-help-us gawkers in Victoria on vacation from Colorado. I have always enjoyed "discovering" obscure eating places that will define my memory of a place. We had wandered (much like this post) around Victoria, some museums, charming shops and decided to roam until we found "the restaurant". I think it was near the waterfront? It was called "The Flying Rhino". Eccentrically decorated with a lovely array of vegetarian food options. The Earth Mother sandwich lingers in the memory cells on my tongue and I will always aspire to living with a bathroom to compare to theirs.. The bathroom walls went up two stories painted a dreamy blue with fluffy clouds and a pink pig was suspended from above. I could have cheerfully moved into that bathroom and called it home. The next time we were on Vancouver Island it was gone. I hope it really existed.

Has anyone mentioned Vancouver's original "Cougar Bar" Mama Gold's

ah Mama Gold's; the time my brother lived on York and I lived in whistler, something like 92->; I was visiting Van, it like snowed for like three days, the whole city stoped for a week, after snowing for like three days, the sun came out and Kits looked like a winter wonderland, people where like bringing their cross country skis and parking them at mama golds and going for a beer. It was some serious resort action going on here. It was some serious beauty going on at that time. I have not seen anything like that before and I have not seen it since, it was certainaly pure beauty.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

• 1 month later...
Can't remember the name of the restaurant that used to be in False Creek on Leg in Boot Sqaure but I think it was something like Fish? It opened in the run-up to Expo and then died out about a year afterwards. Manny was the GM. Can't remember the name of the restaurant - driving me nuts.

Snappers, died in a swirl of financial/partnership rumours, it's been empty for years now, or has the space been renewed again? I don't walk by there much anymore. I remember they banned cars from driving down there, and forever ruined a great waterfront location.

They are currently converting it into condos. It was a cursed location... I don't think any restaurant has been close to making it there. Not sure what you mean by the car thing though- cars are still allowed down there, though they have never been allowed on the seawall itself...I live nearby and have seen many many rooms come and go there. Sad. I am hoping the little cafe just around the bend makes it. One of Gord Martin's proteges.

I miss Etoile, although I can still eat Andrey's cooking at Parkside.

Also the On On Tea House. That was one of the places I used to go with my friends when we were old enough to be going out on our own for dinner (as young teenagers) I loved going in the midafternoon, when all of the cooks would be sitting out at the tables trimming vegetables, smoking and gossiping.

I also miss Mulvaneys. My at-the time boyfriend worked there, and I used to make him bring me home the cajun chicken salad about twice a week.

We used to sit in the little bar downstairs and quaff with the locals. A lot of interesting people used to hang down there, artisans, fisherman etc.

Trader Vics! My god. Trader Vics. Scary.

The Broadway Phnom Penh.

Endless teenage coffees at the Aristocrat and the downtown Cafe Zen.

RIP Saul Bellow

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza