• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Get Out Your Handkerchiefs

jamiemaw

Let's see now, there's Chez Thierry (on Robson) where you could not only get real bistro food but upon ordering a bottle of (french only) champagne Thierry would don his french uniform jacket and tri corner hat and proceed to 'saber' the top off the champagne bottle for you! Great unpasturized cheeses as well. Don't know where Thierry is now. Perhaps back in France or perhaps Oregon/Washington to be near the best windsurfing in the world?

Also Check it out Cafe (7th & Fir)( Pre beer and wine license they'd let you BYO wine) which served up some pretty darn good pasta and incredible spicy italian sausages the like of which I have not seen since. Last I heard the Seto boys were somewhere on the Sunshine coast.

2roast - I too remember that Portugese restaurant but can't remember the name. The first 3 or 4 times we went the (person we thought was the) owner was most convivial and generous with the after dinner drinks. 'Crab, you want crab'? and he'd send someone off to the Robson Public market to pick up a crab. The last time we went we found out that person had been the waiter standing in for the owner who had been away on extended holidays and was nowhere to be found. The 'new' owner just wasn't the same and wanted us to actually pay for the port!

I've thought of more dearly departed places that I miss....

The Aristocratic, Broadway and Granville, it was great to sit in one of the booths and gaze out the window watching the world go by.

McLean's Cafe, Broadway and Burrard - a great spot for a cheap breakfast.

The Alma Street Cafe, Broadway and Alma - the memory I have of this place is having dinner there a couple of years after I moved here, with my parents and one of my brothers. What sticks in my mind is that my Mum sent her soup back because it was not hot enough. She had a real thing about food being served hot as opposed to luke warm. Funny the things that one retains :blink:

You don't mean the restaurant that was behind Emily Carr arts school do you? Wasn't that something Fish?

Shelora... I think you are thinking of Jonathon's. It was a great spot, one of the first "up-scale" dining rooms I ate at in Vancouver.

Now... what was the name of the restaurant that Ecco Il Pane used to run where Feenie's now resides? It's on the tip of my tongue.... argh. It was a great spot for lunch.... I remember sitting on the patio one sunny summer afternoon with another one of my brother's and his wife who were visiting from Germany. A quintessential Vancouver experience.

All this reminiscing is making me :sad: But on the other hand, it is nice to have such fond food memories.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Let's see now, there's Chez Thierry (on Robson) where you could not only get real bistro food but upon ordering a bottle of (french only) champagne Thierry would don his french uniform jacket and tri corner hat and proceed to 'saber' the top off the champagne bottle for you! Great unpasturized cheeses as well. Don't know where Thierry is now. Perhaps back in France or perhaps Oregon/Washington to be near the best windsurfing in the world?

I remember Chez Thierry quite fondly; it met its demise when that commercial strip was razed to make room for a new mixed use-building. We were semi-regulars there and enjoyed the last of many fine dinners on his final night of business, replete with a sabred bottle of champagne, and he was rather excited about moving on to a new chapter in his life.

Reports in the Vancouver Courier and the Georgia Straight place Thierry Damilano in Sumatra pursuing his loves of diving and filmmaking... thankfully, out of harm's way from December's tsunami. More power to him.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

For bonus points:  Do you remember the "official" name of the McBarge?

And we have a winner! dodger correctly identified the "official" name for the McBarge as: Friendship 500/McDonald's. He found the answer here. Oddly enough, so did I! An intersting site with lots of information from the world's fair, including some of the dining pavilions.

Dodger, I owe you a pint. :cool:

A.

btw jamie, as far as adega goes , the one and only i know of (main st. just north of greyhound station ) is still alive and well, am i thinking of another one? and btw where was the bayside room located, reminded me of bayside lounge also still going?

Sharp eyes, vandan--Adega still goes on. As to that amazing beverage alternative to Trader Vic's at The Bayshore Inn, I remember it as "officially" being called the Bayside Room. But believe me, there was a lot of self-induced amnesia that emanated from there.

And here's one that will test memories: Scott's Cafe on Granville Street. You'd plan to meet an object of desire "under the Birk's clock" (when it was still at Granville and Georgia) and then retire for some kitchen food (chicken pot pie?) at Scott's. I believe that its predecessor (or possibly another restaurant entirely) was Love's Cafe. I also remember with affection--from the same era--the original Seymour Buffet on the sixth floor of The Bay.

J.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I also remember with affection--from the same era--the original Seymour Buffet on the sixth floor of The Bay.

Oh, the Seymour Buffet! Is there still a restaurant atop The Bay? I remember fondly the ritual Saturday family outings to The Bay complete with a wonderful lunch at the Seymour Buffet. It would always be the Roast Beef Platter with Yorkshire Pudding, mashed potatoes and gravy, peas, and jello for dessert. :wub:

Can't remember the name of the restaurant that used to be in False Creek on Leg in Boot Sqaure but I think it was something like Fish? It opened in the run-up to Expo and then died out about a year afterwards. Manny was the GM. Can't remember the name of the restaurant - driving me nuts.

Snappers, died in a swirl of financial/partnership rumours, it's been empty for years now, or has the space been renewed again? I don't walk by there much anymore. I remember they banned cars from driving down there, and forever ruined a great waterfront location.

With all the talk about Expo around here how could we forget....

The McBarge!

Any recent sitings? Where is it I wonder?

Did they sink it off the coast as a potential dive site? Would be fitting I think.

John

It sat here for years after expo was done. At the rate McD's change and upgrade their stores, I am sure it is in a HazMat site somewhere.

Last time I saw the McBarge, it was sitting just below the natural gas refinery up the North Arm, opposite Deep Cove. The Deep Cove Yacht Club used to use the McBarge as a marker for a leg of the weekend races.

OT - Tommy O's has gone? :sad: The first place my partner took me for a fancy dinner. So sad.

Edited by Viola da gamba (log)

Santa Fe Cafe - I just tried "The Ordinary" for the first time the other day and it was very good. But that room took a turn for the worse as far as decor.

Raku Kushiyaki (Sp?)- on 10th.

The Archimedes - ok, i know this place was a bar and this should be posted elsewhere. But i miss the Archimedes, its one type of beer, its cigarettes sold in singles for those of us who 'just smoke when drinking', and the one and only bartender, Rose. The 'Alibi Room' is a sorry replacement.

"The Mom and Pop Mexican Place on Commercial whose name escapes me" - Friendly people and nice tamales.

Nuff Nice-Ness- Commercial

3WC

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

Having grown up in Deep Cove, I’m going to say The Savoury even though I rarely set foot inside. This was the one place our parents would go without the kids, so it always intrigued me. My brother also worked there for a few years as a dishwasher and would regale us with stories of wild parties after closing time and having to dodge hot pans the temperamental chef would often fling his way.

I wish this place had been around for a bit longer so I would have had the chance to fully appreciate it.

btw jamie, as far as adega goes , the one and only i know of (main st. just north of greyhound station ) is still alive and well, am i thinking of another one? and btw where was the bayside room located, reminded me of bayside lounge also still going?

And here's one that will test memories: Scott's Cafe on Granville Street. You'd plan to meet an object of desire "under the Birk's clock" (when it was still at Granville and Georgia) and then retire for some kitchen food (chicken pot pie?) at Scott's. I believe that its predecessor (or possibly another restaurant entirely) was Love's Cafe. I also remember with affection--from the same era--the original Seymour Buffet on the sixth floor of The Bay.

J.

The White Spot at Georgia and Seymour was previously a Scott's Cafe. I don't know if it had anything to do with the one on Granville or they were just using the same name. This would have been sometime in the 80s.

Does anyone remember Mr. Mike's? They had a bunch of locations around town but I ate a lot at the one on Granville Mall. They used to have this big sign in the window advertising a steak dinner for $4.99(?). You got a not so bad char-broiled steak, a baked potato in gold tin foil and a side salad.

There was nothing better as a teenager than to take the bus down to Granville Mall (before they widened it and banned cars), have dinner at Mr. Mike's and then see a movie. If I was really hungry, I'd order a second steak. This was back when all of Granville would be lit up with all the neon signs.

Someone left the cake out in the rain ...

Mr Mikes is still around. Click.

They are calling themselves West Coast Grill or something like that.

I was just discussing this with my brother over a cold one and he brought up the gold foil spud too!

Hope their new concept works...but it will always be the 'plastic doness cow' stuck in your steak kinda place to me.

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Mr Mikes is still around. Click.

They are calling themselves West Coast Grill or something like that.

I was just discussing this with my brother over a cold one and he brought up the gold foil spud too!

Hope their new concept works...but it will always be the 'plastic doness cow' stuck in your steak kinda place to me.

I take my kids there after our annual Christmas shopping trip at Coquitlam Centre. My "fondest" memory of the place? The Mikeburger. :biggrin: It's still on the menu.

A.

3 places that i miss but all completely different..

La Toque Blanche in West Van, I think it is the best service i have ever had there and the food great too.

Dids Pizza on Davie after a night of dancing hard at LUv Affair or Graceland

Not a restuarant but a bar, the Niagra Hotel, for some good rockin punk shows,though sometimes you would have to dodge the flying glasses and bottles

And also the little mexican place on Alexander St, a half a block down from Alibi Room, have no idea the name, but authentic and cheap and friendly owners/chefs

Oh and i just remembered the Terriyaki Bowl on Fir and 6th, my boyfriend/now hubby band used to rehearse right behind there and it was always again cheap and filling.

As you might note, most of these places were cheap and filling, aaah the days of my early 20s where $$ went to see bands and drink beer! :), big priorities i tell ya.

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

after a night of dancing hard at LUv Affair or Graceland

Oh yes, I remember doing those marathon dance sessions... There was also one crazy summer when I used to go to Celebrities (boogied next to Svend Robinson! Ha ha); then, my friends and I would all stumble over to Doll and Penny's for deep-fried mozzarella sticks. Is that place still open?

...my friends and I would all stumble over to Doll and Penny's for deep-fried mozzarella sticks.  Is that place still open?

Nope. It's now a nightclub/drinking establishment called The Pumpjack.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Papillotte

Okay Jamie. This is driving me nuts. For the life of me, I can't remember where Papillotte was located. My Mom and I used to dine there quite regularly.

Joie Alvaro Kent

...my friends and I would all stumble over to Doll and Penny's for deep-fried mozzarella sticks.  Is that place still open?

Nope. It's now a nightclub/drinking establishment called The Pumpjack.

Damn. I loved Doll & Penny's. My friends and I would always head there after a night out too. In addition to the deep-fried mozzarella sticks, they seemed to have the best stuffed jalapeños.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

...my friends and I would all stumble over to Doll and Penny's for deep-fried mozzarella sticks.

My friends and I would always head there after a night out too.

Hmmm. Come to think of it, I was also usually stumbling whenever I was at Doll & Penny's...

Edited because I screwed up my HTML tags. Methinks another cookie is required.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

This is driving me nuts.  For the life of me, I can't remember where Papillotte was located.

On Broadway @ about Ontario

North side of the street?

Joie Alvaro Kent

Man, these are sure stirring up some memories for me...

One of my first formal dates was at The Savoury in Deep Cove.

I was so impressed. Great food and setting.

I also remember Cloud 9 for a really special occasion, and

the Swiss place whose name is on the tip of my tongue. It's

still in business, but I remember dining at its original location,

four of us, appies, mains, desserts and wine - $100. We talked

for ages about what an expensive meal that was. I'm young,

really I am, but that sounds so long and so cheap ago...

Those Burnaby-ites among us might remember, in addition

to Sharkeys, Sambo's on Kingsway. Originally called Little Black Sambo's

(I kid you not), it was changed to just Sambo's, for sensitivity

reasons. Like that did it. Then closed altogether. I think it's a White Spot now.

Well, the one farther east; the one closer to McKay was just

swallowed up by Metrotown. Others in the area: the Kingsway

Steak and Spaghetti House where I first dined by myself with

a friend. We felt so grown up. And for a family treat, the Dragon

Inn on Kingsway and Willingdon. I'd lay money down no one

remembers that!

For the downtowners, what about Delilah's? Where did he/she

end up?