• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Get Out Your Handkerchiefs

jamiemaw

"I'm sure that you all realize now that the real reason I posted this topic was to figure out how old you are."

Jamie, you look so good for someone born in 1912! What's your secret? Oil of Olé? :smile:

Thank you. But then you know my love for all things Spanish. And Mexican, where it’s Turtle Oil of Olé, I believe.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Does anyone remember Sharkey's Beach House on Kingsway ? ( at about Royal Oak )

We used to go there as yoots. Too young to drink, but not too young to fill up on burgers and desserts. It was built in an old Funeral Home. I recall always being weirded out when sitteing there. I drove down Kingsway the other day and saw it was a Korean Restaurant. I can not even remember how long it was Sharkey's. All I remember was how good the chocolate cheesecake was, being there with my date, me in a skinny leather turquiose tie. I was soooooo coooooool. Thank goodness no pictures exist. :biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Glady's, on 4th Ave. Its original incarnation on the north side of the street dated from the '60s. Arguably Vancouver's best breakfasts, and great sandwiches (anyone remember the B.E.L.T.C.H. - bacon, egg, lettuce, tomato and cheese?). The first restaurant where I was a bona fide regular.

It lives on, in a distant way, at Paul's Omlettery on Granville. Paul is an ex-Gladoid and still has many of the old faves on his menu.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

There used to be a place at Kingsway and Broadway, out the back, in what looked like an alley but really was Watson Street. It used to be call the Jazz Cellar ( I think ) and then it became a restaurant called Karudo's. I remember going down a long flight of stairs to get to some great BBQ. I remember big ribs covered in sauce and the whole place smelled of BBQ. They still had a piano from the old Jazz Cellar days.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Glady's, on 4th Ave.  Its original incarnation on the north side of the street dated from the '60s.  Arguably Vancouver's best breakfasts, and great sandwiches (anyone remember the B.E.L.T.C.H. - bacon, egg, lettuce, tomato and cheese?).  The first restaurant where I was a bona fide regular.

It lives on, in a distant way, at Paul's Omlettery on Granville.  Paul is an ex-Gladoid and still has many of the old faves on his menu.

The new Glady's location became Bistro Pastis. I remeber when they moved across the street. Loved the corned beef hash for beakfast, just did not love the amount of time it took to cook.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

We used to go there as yoots. Too young to drink, but not too young to fill up on burgers and desserts. It was built in an old Funeral Home. I recall always being weirded out when sitteing there. I drove down Kingsway the other day and saw it was a Korean Restaurant. I can not even remember how long it was Sharkey's. All I remember was how good the chocolate cheesecake was, being there with my date, me in a skinny leather turquiose tie. I was soooooo coooooool. Thank goodness no pictures exist. :biggrin:

I would love to hear more about Sharkeys. I'm a born-and-raised Burnaby boy. Sharkey's came into being just as I was old enough to drink ... but not in time for me to have enough money to do so properly. It was indeed in the old Royal Oak Funeral Home chapel. The building was originally right on the corner of Royal Oak & Kingsway. They moved it back to its current location as part of the reno for the restaurant.

The big thing I remember about Sharkey's was the hours it kept. It was open until 5am! We'd stop by for Nachos, Deep Fried Mozarella Sticks and (believe it or not) Pasta Salad after a night of dancing at ... wait for it ... Coconuts (Kingsway & Gilley) or Diego's (formerly Sev's, formery The Gay Paris). Neil, I'm sure we crossed paths, although I'm sure I would have kicked your young punk ass back then for wearing turquoise. Burnaby guys wore navy.

Sharkey's closed right around Expo, and evolved (or de-evolved) into a series of sports bars. Lame lame lame. The building went dark until 1990 or so, when it became the first of at least 3 Korean BBQ's ... all worse than the last. I lived in the tower in behind (Burlington Square) and can attest to all sorts of bizare smells that came wafting in through my balcony door.

On a geographically-related note ... the KFC beside the old Sharkey's is one of the original KFC's in the lower mainland. It's been there, same building (same grease?) since at least 1965, as my neighbour and babysitter worked there since before I was born.

A.

"What did you say..."

"Yoots...the two yoots.."

My cousin Vinnie...sweet..

Funny you should mention it...... I was involved for a brief time with a growing restaurant chain from the Interior, and we had a tour of the defunct Sharkey's about 2 months after it closed. Talk about creepy!! There is already something creepy about walking through a failed restaurant space (dashed dreams and all that) but the fact that it used to be a funeral parlour...now I get why I was so creeped out while I was there! I still have an original menu from Sharkey's in a box somewhere!!

But to keep on topic.....

I nominate as a place that is shut down and I miss as:

Any place that served deep fried ice cream! I know not very epicurean of me but....

Hey Neil...deep-fried gingerbread ice cream??? Pumpkin in the fall??

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Any place that served deep fried ice cream! I know not very epicurean of me but....

I remember that at Cysco's (sp?) in Kits (in the old Roger's Sugar building I think). That was one of the few places my folks took my brother & I for a "fancy" dinner.

A.

I'm sure that you all realize by now that the real reason I posted this topic was to figure out how old you are.  :laugh:  :rolleyes:

I just took a look at the updated list and out of curiosity decided to count how many of the restaurants I'd eaten at. Somewhere around 60 and here's the reason why.

I was born in Vancouver many years ago and while I was going to UBC during the 70s I lived in a basement suite that had no cooking facilities so I ate out every day lunch and dinner. Yes, every day. This continued for about 7 or 8 years so I've eaten at a lot of Vancouver restaurants.

I'll also eat any kind of food so any new restaurants that opened during that time I'd probably give it a try. Any meals eaten after 2 am though were almost always at Fresgo's on Davie as I used to hang out at a bar called Capolini's (Cap's) just around the corner on Burnaby Street. Does anyone else remember this place?

Here's a question to test everyone's memory. Where was the first Vietnamese restaurant in Vancouver and when did it open? I'm not sure I have the correct answer but there's two I'm thinking of that might have been the first.

Someone left the cake out in the rain ...

I remember that at Cysco's (sp?) in Kits (in the old Roger's Sugar building I think). That was one of the few places my folks took my brother & I for a "fancy" dinner.

A.

Are you thinking of Cisco's in that brick complex right at the end of the Burrard Street Bridge? I think that used to be called the Wometco building. I'm pretty sure that used to be the site of the old Coca-Cola bottling plant and Wometco was the name of the bottler.

Jamie maybe you can help....

Cous Cous Restaurant?? Might have been Afgahni???

The only reason I love this place is because it had a cool name..(I was 7 or 8 at the time) and when ever my parents went there it meant my big bro was babysitting and that was always a blast......tag in a dark house, with only the light of the Lloyd 8 track stereo illuminating the living room...too cool.

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

--Mark Twain

Jamie maybe you can help....

Cous Cous Restaurant?? Might have been Afgahni???

The only reason I love this place is because it had a cool name..(I was 7 or 8 at the time) and when ever my parents went there it meant my big bro was babysitting and that was always a blast......tag in a dark house, with only the light of the Lloyd 8 track stereo illuminating the living room...too cool.

John

Cous Cous restaurant was on Robson Street across the street from about where Cin Cin is now but it wasn't in an old house. I remember it was kind of weird because you could sit right in the front windows and people would be walking literally one or two feet away from you on the sidewalk.

Edited by agog (log)

Yeah...but it kept my parents busy for a few hours!!

And as a result...I have a hankerin' for cous cous now and again!

John

edited to say: Thanks for the info...I'm going to drop this name on my Mom when I see her this weekend...sure to bring a smile to her face!

JB

Edited by dodger (log)

--Mark Twain

I think you misunderstood...

I only ate there once...

Whenever my parents went, "OUR" house is where my Big Bro would kill me in a wicked game of tag.

John

--Mark Twain

[i remember that at Cysco's (sp?) in Kits (in the old Roger's Sugar building I think).  That was one of the few places my folks took my brother & I for a "fancy" dinner.

A.

Are you thinking of Cisco's in that brick complex right at the end of the Burrard Street Bridge? I think that used to be called the Wometco building. I'm pretty sure that used to be the site of the old Coca-Cola bottling plant and Wometco was the name of the bottler.

Yep, that's the place ... it was the Coca Cola bottling plant, not the Roger's Sugar ... but I was close right?? :rolleyes:

I remember the restaurant was in the middle courtyard so the ceilings were a high as the building itself. It was like eating outsode!

A.

There was a Portuguese restaurant on Robson street , on the downhill slope, in the early '80's that served very good authentic Portuguese food including excellent salt cod, grilled octopus and chorizo. The name escapes me - any help ?

As to the dearly departed, my 1st job in Vancouver was at English Bay Cafe and I will always be sorry that it was dumbed down. EBC could have become a landmark instead of a BoatHouse - remember the "waiter, there's a sunset in my soup!" ad campaign ? Boy am I old.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

With all the talk about Expo around here how could we forget....

The McBarge!

Any recent sitings? Where is it I wonder?

Did they sink it off the coast as a potential dive site? Would be fitting I think.

John

--Mark Twain

The McBarge!

Did they sink it off the coast as a potential dive site? Would be fitting I think.

John

It sat here for years after expo was done. At the rate McD's change and upgrade their stores, I am sure it is in a HazMat site somewhere.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

I miss Puccini's - it always seemed so weird to me as a little kid that there was this Italian place in the middle of a really bustling Chinatown. It was there that I was first introduced to the pleasures of fettucini alfredo and lactose intolerance.

I think that there is that little italian store (? actually I don't know what it is) - Rossi & Co that is still on Main street. My friend went in recently and said the owner seemed a little stirry.

The McBarge!

John

It sat here for years after expo was done. At the rate McD's change and upgrade their stores, I am sure it is in a HazMat site somewhere.

I got pics...they are in ImageGullet under "Don't believe us? The infamous McBarge."

or Pics!(clickety-clackety)

Enjoy.

John

Edited by dodger (log)

--Mark Twain

I miss Il Paradiso. I was on the corner of Scott Road and 92nd in Delta, this really cheesy Italian restaurant but had the most wonderful food. I think the first time I was there was about 17 years ago and my family went so often that we were the regulars. My mom and I would hang out in the kitchen with the chef. We had many a special occasion there too. My 19th birthday, my mom and I went there for dinner and I got to order my first bottle of wine, legally. When my mom's divorce was final we headed up the street for yet another celebratory dinner. We always had good food, good wine and good company when we were there. It's now an Afghani restaurant and again my mom and I thought we would try it to see if it was any good. We were not expecting it to look exactly the same, but it does. Nothing has changed which was quite bizarre. The food was fabulous but certainly not the same.

I think that there is that little italian store (? actually I don't know what it is) - Rossi & Co that is still on Main street.  My friend went in recently and said the owner seemed a little stirry.

You're thinking of Tosi. It's still there, and the owner is as weird as ever. But he has the best Grana Padano in town.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

btw jamie, as far as adega goes , the one and only i know of (main st. just north of greyhound station ) is still alive and well, am i thinking of another one? and btw where was the bayside room located, reminded me of bayside lounge also still going?

Doesn't either Pepitas or Las Margaritas, both on West 4th Avenue, still serve it now?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

The McBarge!

I got pics...they are in ImageGullet under "Don't believe us? The infamous McBarge."

Great pics John! I used to see the McBarge every other day on one of my walks in the wilds above Capitol Hill in North Burnaby. It has since been towed away and now resides in Missouri.

For bonus points: Do you remember the "official" name of the McBarge?

Please PM me with your answer :cool:

A.