• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold smoking steak

TAPrice

I recently had a steak at a restaurant that was described as cold smoked and then pan seared.

I'm a little confused, since I think of cold smoking as a slow process that fully cooks the meat. And instead of meat, I think of fish.

Never having had the equipment or the space (oh, the joys of apartment dwelling) to cold smoke anything myself, I might just be hazy on the process and the outcome.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I never heard of such a thing but it sounds interesting. As I recall, My fish smoking buddies in Bellingham WA say that the state requires fish to be smoked at at least 175 degrees F. They tend to drop it down a bit for their own purposes, I am guessing around 140-150 degrees F to maximize smoke flavor and not over-dry the fish. The smoking theory is that when meat reaches about 160 degrees F, it doesn't take up any more flavor. I haven't tested that but recall that it came from what I would call a credible source. That would mean that the lower smoking temperature that they use makes some sense. I just told you everything I know about cold smoking. Yeah . . . Not much. :biggrin:

I wonder if they are just sitting the steaks in there long enough to pick up some flavor and aren't expecting them to cook then pan cooking them to desired doneness.

Do you have a way to find out more about this, Todd?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Cold smoking, from what I understand, is just to add flavor, and not to cook an item. Cold smoking cheese should never raise the temp of the cheese above 100 degrees, so, I don't see why you couldn't do this to a steak to give it some nice smokey flavor, but still leave it raw.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

...I don't see why you couldn't do this to a steak to give it some nice smokey flavor, but still leave it raw...

Yes, like bacon (America's favorite cold-smoked treat!).

Cold smoking adds flavor without cooking.

Although smoke is also purported to have some properties that inhibit bacteria and help to preserve and lenghten the useful life of products, it's primary contribution is flavor.

Cold smoking is usually done at the lowest temperature possible and much lower than 175 (say about 75).

Hot smoking, for which 175 degrees would be an appropriate temperature, not only adds flavoring, but also effectively cooks the food. From what I have been told, meat absorbs smoke flavor best when it is raw and therefore you can get more intense smoke flavor with cold smoking. This is not to say this is a reason to choose one method over the other, since the method is primarily dependent on the food and the application, but it could help explain why you might want to cold smoke the steak before cooking it.

Cold smoking a protein before searing it gives it a great "smoke" flavor and that process helps to dry out the exposed flesh creating a great surface area to get maximum crusty sear. It is important to properly season the meat prior to smoking because once it dries out the seasoning does not adhere as well.

A great option if you do not have access to an actual grill to create that flavor.

We used to do this at the Everest Room a lot because all of the equipment was/is electric or induction.

If you are worried about your smoke being to hot, place a bowl/pan of ice cubes 2 inches above the smoke source. This will cool it down enough to not cook your protein.

That smoke "water" created above is great for adding flavor to cooked beans. MAKE SURE THAT THE STEAKS ARE IN A PAN, preferably on a rack in a 2" hotel pan. You don't want the meat drippings getting in to spoil the broth.

Edited by ducphat30 (log)

Patrick Sheerin

Union Square Cafe (a Danny Meyer restaurant) in New York City serves a cold-smoked New York Steak that is terrific.

First time I had it I was not really looking to order a steak but wanted a particular wine on their list (a Jackass zinfandel) so ordered the steak as the least likely dish to "confuse" me with too many things going on. Well, the wine was fine but the steak was unlike anything I had ever had before; the most subtle of flavors in addition to that of the seared, medium-rare beef.

It was so good I kept asking the server questions and finally someone from the kitchen was tableside to explain that they cold-smoked on a battered old Weber in the alley (?!?) early in the day to impart "that" flavor then cooking to order for service.

What I had trouble comprehending at the time was how one could get smoke without some heat; heat that might yield a gray steak rather than the properly pink-centered steak served. The answer was that the source of the smoke is some distance away from the closed area where the meat receives the smoke allowing the heat to dissipate (not easy for me to imagine then).

A memorable meal and not one which I would have expected to become one when I walked in the door !

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

Cold smoking is exactly what it says, smoke with no temperature. This is usually accomplished with a smoke generator. Quite a few large kielbasi producers cold smoke and then steam the product to get to temp., usually 160F. This process takes probably 1 1/2 hours, with little to no shrinkage, thus chiching money in their pocket.

The universal temperature used for so called "Cold Smoking" is generally 90 degrees Fahrenheit. This is the temperature that most cold smoked items are allowed to attain internally and often takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours to obtain with a low temperature from 110/115 degrees.

A good smoke generator with humidity contol and thermostat will provide a even natural smoke patina to whatever your smoking this works best with delicate seafood such as salmon or meat items that will be finished and finessed before serving such as Steaks. It's even used with many different commercial products that may often be marinated under pressure with the addition of some liquid smoke to enhance the flavor.

I find this the best fish prepared this way in the "Nova" style Smoked Salmon that is very mildly cured, then throughly washed, allowed to dry the slowly cold smoked until it aquires the shiny patina ythat occurs when the oils come to the Salmon sides fleshy surface then it's cooled, packed and sliced to your order.

Cold Smoked Steaks are generally kept Refrigerated until ordered then quickly seared on both sides under high heat and allowed to set and rest in a warm oven until they reach the degree of doneness customers ordered. Since a well marbled cut will smoke best and hold the smoke character better the Steak tastes more flavorful.

Irwin

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

...I don't see why you couldn't do this to a steak to give it some nice smokey flavor, but still leave it raw...

Yes, like bacon (America's favorite cold-smoked treat!).

Cold smoking adds flavor without cooking.

Although smoke is also purported to have some properties that inhibit bacteria and help to preserve and lenghten the useful life of products, it's primary contribution is flavor.

Cold smoking is usually done at the lowest temperature possible and much lower than 175 (say about 75).

Hot smoking, for which 175 degrees would be an appropriate temperature, not only adds flavoring, but also effectively cooks the food. From what I have been told, meat absorbs smoke flavor best when it is raw and therefore you can get more intense smoke flavor with cold smoking. This is not to say this is a reason to choose one method over the other, since the method is primarily dependent on the food and the application, but it could help explain why you might want to cold smoke the steak before cooking it.

That's reminiscent of Alton Brown's episode Scrap Iron Chef's Bacon when he used three steel lockers to make a cold smoker. One contained the smoke source, the middle one piped the smoke and cooled it and the third one was where the pork belly was hung. I suppose the only way you could actually see the setup is to buy the CD with that episode on it. The whole thing was a little off-the-wall but interesting nonetheless.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro