• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Desperate Measures: Roasted Broccoli

mikeczyz

High-temp/short-time here as well... interesting. In fact, when I'm doing just potatoes, I sometimes start them at 450 before lowering to 400.

I must try the low-temp/long-time to experience the difference.

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

I would echo the 400 or 450 degree roasting temperature.

That would be my default, but it varies from veg. to veg.

Also, does anyone do eggplant alone? It always gets tough when I roast it by itself.

Anyone have a good technique (I seem to remember Chufi having some in her blog)?

I'm another high temperature gal.... I guess we're all going to have to give the low temperature.... longer cooking time a try, to compare :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I used to use the high temp roasting method starting with the firmer vegetables and would add the vegetables that needed less cooking as the time progressed but sometimes some would get overdone and some would not be cooked enough and, as you note, you really need to keep them pretty much in a single layer.

I wanted to do larger batches so I consulted with a relative who did supurb roasted vegetables in advance of huge family holiday dinners and either presented them on their own or on a platter with meats or poultry. Since then, with a couple of modifications, I have used her method and people rave about the flavor and they get better with being held in the fridge for a couple of days.

As you can see, I use a large pan, it is half-sheet size and deep. I fill it almost to the top, leaving room for some stirring. I chop everything about the same size, spread a layer across the bottom, ladle on some of the oil-roasted garlic cloves and oil, sprinkle on some seasonings.

Add another layer, more garlic and oil, more seasoning and so on until everything is in the pan.

It goes into the oven at 275 and at the end of an hour I stir it well bringing the stuff from the bottom to the top and etc.

I then stir it every 30 minutes for the remaining 2 hours.

Everything is at just the right degree of doneness. The already roasted garlic has mostly broken down and become part of the seasoning/dressing.

For the garlic roasted in oil, I use a 6 quart Visions pot, 1 pound of peeled garlic cloves, 1 gallong of good olive oil - I get the stuff in the gold can with filigree design on it that can be found at any Italian grocery. It doesn't have to be "extra virgin" in fact it is better if it is not, but it does have to be very fresh.

Again, this is a long, slow roasting proposition, the entire house (and neighborhood) will have the aroma of roasting garlic but no one around my home minds it at all.

I keep the oven at 275 degrees F. until the garlic cloves are uniformly dark, reddish brown.

I allow it to cool in the cookpot then transfer to a sterilized 1 1/2 gallon jar with a wire bail, glass top with rubber gasket.

It will keep at room temperature for at least a year. The oil does not go rancid because the enzymes that can cause that have been destroyed by the long, slow heating.

I use a stainless steel ladle that has been dipped into boiling water and allowed to air dry when I remove the garlic from the oil, however the oil can be poured out if all I need is some oil.

There is no danger of botulisim that one has with cold-infused garlic oil and the flavor is far superior to any commercial garlic oil I have tried.

These things are easy to do, they just take time. The roasted garlic is always available for immediate use and it has a myriad of uses, including just mashing and spreading on toast.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Also, does anyone do eggplant alone? It always gets tough when I roast it by itself.

Anyone have a good technique (I seem to remember Chufi having some in her blog)?

I roast eggplant whole (don't forget to pierce the skin - or they could blow up in the oven, happened to me once :shock: ) and when they are completely collapsed, scrape out the flesh and use for dips or fritters.

Pieces of eggplant are difficult. When you don't use enough oil, they end up like rubber. They need a lot of oil.

Andiesenji, I think I will try your slow-roast method next time. I'm interested in the difference in flavour/texture.

Not suitable for a quick after work supper though, more of a weekend project!

It would seem to me like the high temperature/short time preparation makes more sense if you cut your vegetables to a smaller size. A longer, slower preparation with densely packed vegetables seems like it would allow for more vegetable to vegetable steaming than dehydration, which is what I believe is in part behind the concentration of flavor in roasted vegetables, though I guess the long cooking times might make up for this. Caramelization also might be an issue if you are stacking your vegetables densely. I guess it's all a matter of preference.

And yeah, eggplant flesh definitely can have a tendency to soak up oil like a sponge, amen to that.

This batch included carrots, parsnips, potatoes (Yukon gold), celery, onions and red, yellow and gold peppers in addition to the roasted garlic and oil.

I sometimes include any or all of the following: celeriac, kohlrabi, white sweet (actually unsweet) potatoes, rutabaga, golden beets and squash.

My favorite seasonings are a pepper medley I buy at Smart & Final that has no salt in it, chipotle pepper seasoning with herbs and kosher or sea salt, not too much as it can always be added at the end.

I take a small tasting sample at the end of two hours and again at 2 1/2 hours just to make sure things are progressing well. And, of course, at the end of the roasting time I taste again, after stirring well.

I can always put it back in the oven for a little additional time, if necessary, however I can't recall when there was need to do this. At this point they are just the way I like them.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

To those of you who have made the famous eG roasted cauliflower...

When I've made the roasted cauliflower with a high heat, I get the delicious browned bits. But I've made it a couple times at a lower temperature for a longer period of time, too. While it doesn't get the browned spots like it does with the high heat, the cauliflower ends up an overall beautiful golden color and tastes great.

andie's low/slow method sounds "sound" to me.

andiesenji, how long would you approximate the cooking time is for your oven oil-roasted garlic?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

To those of you who have made the famous eG roasted cauliflower...

When I've made the roasted cauliflower with a high heat, I get the delicious browned bits.  But I've made it a couple times at a lower temperature for a longer period of time, too.  While it doesn't get the browned spots like it does with the high heat, the cauliflower ends up an overall beautiful golden color and tastes great.

andie's low/slow method sounds "sound" to me.

andiesenji, how long would you approximate the cooking time is for your oven oil-roasted garlic?

It can vary, depending on how fresh or how young the garlic is. Young garlic takes longer than "aged" garlic, soft neck takes longer than hard neck.

I begin checking it at an hour then check at 30 minute intervals after that.

I occasionally fish out a fat clove and smash in on some crusty bread to taste.

The tasting and testing is fun as well as useful.

For gifts, I ladle some of the cloves into a pint canning jar, then fill with the hot oil, using a funnel so no oil gets onto the rim of the jar. I then apply the lid while the oil is still hot.

After it cools, you can hear the "ping" of the lid sealing and see the dimple in the center of the lid.

This can be stored safely at room temperature for long periods, although it usually doesn't last long. People who recieve it generally return the jars for a "refill" within a few months.

The oil by itself, with a few herbs and salt, is great for dipping bread.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

• 2 months later...

Dinner last night was broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts and roasted potatoes. As usual, the potatoes stole the show. :raz:

I love roasted vegetables. The aroma that fills your kitchen as the vegetables cook is well worth the price of admission. What comes out of your oven is even better.

These were unpeeled red skinned potatoes, quartered, drizzled with EVOO and sprinkled with kosher salt. I tossed in sliced onion, some chopped oregano and rosemary needles, and a handful of garlic cloves. This went into a pre-heated oven for an hour at 350 F.

I could easily make a meal of roast vegetables and pasta, with a little grated Parm-Reg or maybe some herbed fried breadcrumbs. If it were winter, soft creamy polenta would replace the pasta. No matter what the season, there's always a vegetable or two that begs to be roasted.

And then, there is roast cauliflower, eGullet's answer to French fries.

What's your story?

Soba

Mmmmm...thinly (1/8-inch?) sliced sweet potatoes tossed with EVOO, salt, pepper, chipotle powder and Penzey's Northwest Seasoning. Bake in a single layer on a baking sheet at 450º for about 20 minutes (?), turning over slices halfway through. Delicious!

Also, cubed, skin-on, red-skinned or Yukon gold potatoes, tossed with EVOO, kosher salt, pepper, and minced garlic - add whatever herb you like - rosemary is nice. Again, a single layer on a baking sheet at 500º for about 15 minutes or until desired doneness. Cooking at this high temp gets a nice, crusty outside.

Yummy!

I always hated carrots (the mushy overcooked ones) until I discovered roasted carrots. Nicely caramelized on the outside, soft and sweet on the inside. Mixed with some other roasted root vegetables drizzled with aged balsamic vinegar and some Fleur de Sel. Serve this with some braised short ribs and a good glass of red wine. Perfection...

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

I love almost any roasted vegetable - in fact, I just counted and I have Nine Roasted fillintheblank soups in my book - one of which is Roasted Vegetable Soup.

Roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes, squashes, onions, mushrooms, cauliflower, zuchhini, beets, broccoli, asparagus are all favorites. Just toss with some olive oil, salt and black pepper - herbs of choice or none at all. If you want to add some vinegar you can.

One of my favorites is roasted corn on the cob. Carmelized corn rules.

I'm addicted to roasted vegetables as well. Last week we had roasted broccoli with baby carrots. Delicious.

I visited a good friend 2 months ago, and for Shabbat dinner she told me that she was going to be steaming broccoli and cauliflower. Huh??? :huh:

Not allowed. No steaming on my watch. :laugh:

I showed her how to roast them, and they were the hit of the meal. Everyone demanded the recipe.

We do replace some of our roasting with grilling, come summer. For example, I'm just as happy with grilled asparagus as I am with roasted asparagus.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

This week I did carrots and leeks tossed with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Just before they were done I took them out and dumped them in a bowl with lemon juice, minced garlic, and whole cumin seeds, then tipped them back out onto the roasting pan and put them back in to finish up. Very, very good.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

When my mother used to roast chicken, she usually included slices of onions and carrots in the roasting pan, and I loved the results, especially the blackened onions that had absorbed so much chicken flavor!

Michael aka "Pan"

Ah ... roasted vegetables, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways ... :biggrin:

My personal favorite roasted-veg mix is chunked skin-on potatoes, chunked onions, and wide strips of sweet red pepper, liberally doused with good olive oil and sea salt and roasted all together. The peppers and onions infuse their sweetness into the potatoes. I can eat a whole panful of this stuff without batting an eye.

I would have thought it was impossible to screw up roasted vegetables, but as I recall the Marriott-catered employee cafeterias at Microsoft used to screw them up on a regular basis. Cold, limp, grayish, and slimy from excessive amounts of low-grade olive oil--blech. But then, a lot of food at the once-terrific cafeterias at The Big Soft had gone noticeably downhill by the time I bid them adieu.

• 3 weeks later...

Alysha- a woman whose taste I share. Is there anything that is not iimproved by the addition of roasted sweet potatoes?

Mmmmm...thinly (1/8-inch?) sliced sweet potatoes tossed with EVOO, salt, pepper, chipotle powder and Penzey's Northwest Seasoning.  Bake in a single layer on a baking sheet at 450º for about 20 minutes (?), turning over slices halfway through.  Delicious!

Also, cubed, skin-on, red-skinned or Yukon gold potatoes, tossed with EVOO, kosher salt, pepper, and minced garlic - add whatever herb you like - rosemary is nice.  Again, a single layer on a baking sheet at 500º for about 15 minutes or until desired doneness.  Cooking at this high temp gets a nice, crusty outside.

Yummy!

I love roasted vegetables, but I always end up forgoing them in the summer because I can't stand the thought of a 450 degree oven. Has anyone ever had success outdoors using a grill? All I've done is the aluminum foil thing, and that just makes steam. I want that crispy brown stuff.....

-Linda

there was an interesting discussion here a couple of months ago, about roasting vegetables and the preference for roasting for a short time at high temp, or for a long time at low temp.

Since then I've been meaning to do a side by side comparison of the two methods, I always do the hight temp/short time myself, but I'm curious about the differences in flavor & texture with the 2 methods.

edited to add: green beans are my favorite thing to roast, the roasting really transforms them.

Edited by Chufi (log)

I love roasted vegetables, but I always end up forgoing them in the summer because I can't stand the thought of a 450 degree oven.  Has anyone ever had success outdoors using a grill?  All I've done is the aluminum foil thing, and that just makes steam.  I want that crispy brown stuff.....

-Linda

I grill vegetables all summer. Years ago I bought something called a 'Griffo' which is a flat enamelled sheet pan perforated with holes. Profides a great surface for grilling without needing to figure out how to keep things from falling through the grates and into the fire. Works well for fish with more delicate flesh also. I recently saw that similar grills are being sold at places like Bed Bath and Beyond.

Alternatively, you could skewer the vegetables to put them on the grill.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

right now - asparagus.

blanch quickly toss with olive oil and coarse salt

500 degrees until black in spots

hit with a bit of lemon juice or truffle oil. magnificent!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

roasted fennel.....yummmm. But really, any mix of roasted veg. is great. And roast potatos, well who needs anything else to round out a meal?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I love roasted veggies but I wont roast zuccini again with other veggies.

I love juliening( sp?) veggies and tossing with pasta, evoo and parm.

Oh and those oven fries i did last week were so good. I'll be using that trick from now on, blanch first, then roast.