• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best place to read a book

Vancouver

Today I was streetside at Torrefazione on Government re-reading A Moveable Feast for the umpteenth time. There is a table that is somewhat recessed so as to avoid the wind. It was once my niche reading spot for years so it was nice to slip into it, light a ceremonial Dunhill ( :huh: ), sip, and open up an old friend.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I love Milano's on 8th near Main. 156 West 8th.

Here's a map.

http://ca.maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=2B...uver&country=ca

The place is large, airy and the smell of the roasting coffee wafts in from the back. Beautiful wood floors and funky furnishings. The humungous windows look over a large park and there aren't any large buildings blocking the view of the mountains. It's on the second floor, sort-of, so it's one of the few public coffee places in Vancouver where you are completely unaware of any traffic, vehicular or otherwise. If I lived closer I would be there every day.

Bob McLeod

VOX BACCULUS HIC VADIS IN VITRIO JUBILIAM

The road goes on forever and the party never ends

Try a library! The West Vancouver library has a coffee stand in it. It also has a periodical reading room downstairs that has a fireplace. Very cozy and civilized on a rainy day.

Paul B

Try a library!  The West Vancouver library has a coffee stand in it.  It also has a periodical reading room downstairs that has a fireplace.  Very cozy and civilized on a rainy day.

The West Van Library has a f**king fireplace??? Unbe-frickin-lievable! Heaven forbid tax money goes to buy ... um ... say books?

Or for a raise for grossly underpaid librarians ... right Andrew? :wink:

A.

• 8 months later...
Try a library!  The West Vancouver library has a coffee stand in it.  It also has a periodical reading room downstairs that has a fireplace.  Very cozy and civilized on a rainy day.

Wow, you're allowed to drink coffee with the books?? It's own coffee stand AND fireplace? Any other part of town, and the librarians would be hyperventilating, and getting ready to smack you upside the head for getting coffee close to the books... Hearing this is just like the time I went to Park Royal in West Van to check out Whole Foods, and saw everyone using courtesy umbrellas without any vandalism or theft problems. It's like visiting another freakin' country or something. Yes, I can imagine it's very cozy and civilized...

The Irish Heather not so much for the coffee (unless it's an Irish Coffee) but the back glass conservatory on a rainy or windy afternoon is a delight. Read some Orwell, surf the net, drink a Irish coffee then move on to a whiskey or pint.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Wow, you're allowed to drink coffee with the books?? It's own coffee stand AND fireplace? Any other part of town, and the librarians would be hyperventilating, and getting ready to smack you upside the head for getting coffee close to the books... Hearing this is just like the time I went to Park Royal in West Van to check out Whole Foods, and saw everyone using courtesy umbrellas without any vandalism or theft problems. It's like visiting another freakin' country or something. Yes, I can imagine it's very cozy and civilized...

Must have something to do with the diligent West Van Police Dpt :wink:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf