• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aphrodite's Organic Cafe

dodger

I had a pie from Aphrodites about a year ago, (I saw that appreciator went for brunch and it reminded me) and it was fantastic!

A little steep at $16.00 for a pie but man....was it good.

Allan (I think that is his name ) is the owner and is part of a collective of organic farmers, so he gets his produce fresh and it shows. We had a strawberry rhubarb number and it tasted just like the kind my aunt used to make from fresh wild strawberries and rhubarb straight out of her garden. ( in Twin Butte, AB...Smith Creek to be exact..)

Has anyone else been? I think they may have expanded since I was last there and taken over a spot next to them on West Fourth.

Any comments?

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

I'm not sure but Allan is a most hospitable host and I'm sure he can answer any questions you have.

Maybe Appreciator can help out?

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

appreciator's brunch included smoked salmon, so I don't think Aphrodite's is vegetarian....

*holds out hope for lard crusts*  :laugh:

edit: can't spell today

They also serve free-range chicken so I'd say they are more pescepouletatarian :biggrin:

In the interest of getting to the bottom of the elusive crust question.... I called them today. Sorry Ling, no lard. They use an organic, non-hydrogenated, GMO-free palm oil shortening.

If I've figured out how to do this, here's a link to their website: Aphrodite's Cafe

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

pescepouletatarian 

say what ? :blink:

It's my own word.

pesce = fish

poulet = poultry

atarian = well vegetables, sorta though not really at all... but pescepouletvegatarian sounded even more stoopid.

I came up with it when I slowly started adding creatures back into my previously vegetarian diet. Can't use it anymore though as last summer I succumbed to bbq beef kabobs!

Sorry... waaaaaaay OT :blink:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown